NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Whoops... transmission question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whoops... transmission question
    Posted: November-05-2006 at 11:44am
Hopefully our transmission experts (Eric???) can help me out here. While attempting to drain my transmission fluid today, I accidentally fed the tube of the hand pump into the wrong hole in the dipstick. Instead of going straight down into the hole, the tube curled right (towards the stern) and into the compartment pictured.

I realized my mistake when I wasnt sucking any fluid. When trying to take the hose back out, it got snagged on something. Despite careful ma$$aging, I could not get it unstuck. A stong pull caused the tube to break inside the tranny. I am not sure how much hose is in there, but it could be several inches.

What options do I have now?
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2006 at 1:39pm
TRB- have you tried sucking it out with a shop-vac? I know it helped get the straw I dropped down one of my cylinders last week.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2006 at 7:25pm
TR, I'll check tommorow and see if the dipstick hole goes into the bottem near the magnet, It may be baffled in that area from splash and it may not harm anything, PCM 1.23?    I think were going to have start a new forum and call it the dropsies
"the things you own will start to own you"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 8:17am
Thanks Eric- I appreciate it. Yes, its a PCM 1.23.

It didnt go straight in and down the smaller dipstick hole like it should have- it went into the D-shaped hole on the right (towards the stern) if it makes a difference.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 8:51am
TR,   
if you did go straight down into that little hole you would be safe, if you went off to the side of the hole either way it would near the parts that are turning, but the parts that turn are pretty much enclosed and may be pretty tough to get caught up, its in there now and not to much you can do without dis-a$$embly.
thats something that will bother you every time you run the boat. if you attempt removing I'll walk you thru-it. or pay the shipping and i'll take care of it for you
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 9:10am
Hmmm, thats what I was afraid of. I think I will wait until spring to fix this- but Ill definitely be asking for your input!

Ive never pulled the tranny before- I a$$ume its not a huge deal? Ill have to do a search and see if someone has written up a procedure.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 9:32am
procedure.... support and unbolt

call me ill walk you thru it
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 9:57am
Tim, the easiest way is to support the rear of the engine with a bottle jack under the exhaust manifolds. When I did it on that boat I had a bottle jack under one manifold (the Toyota jack is actually ideal for this) and a shimmed vertical 4X4 under the other side. The engine mounts are near the center of the engine so you're not supporting too much weight- just keeping it balanced really. Take off the Invertaflo muffler and the water hoses to the trans cooler and shift linkage. Throw a towel over the prop and undo the coupling- slide the shaft carefully back. 4 large bolts hold the trans to the bellhousing. Undo those and the rear mounts and you're good to go. I probably have pics of the whole thing actually. I have to do do it for my front trans seal so I'll be doing it this spring again.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 10:21am
M3- I just realized that youve done it once to do the damper plate. Glad to hear its not too tricky- I may pick your brain again when it comes time.

Eric, I a$$ume its not too bad to get into the trans once its out? Im not having any problems with it, but is there anything I should replace while I have it out?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 12:32pm
when you get it apart you can put everything on a bench and walk you thru it, plates, hubs etc......
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2006 at 10:23am
Eric, I a$$ume its a good idea to do the front trans seal while Ive got the tranny out? Im putting in an order at SkiDIM- is there anything else I should pick up?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2006 at 12:26pm
I just wanted to add that I just called and spoke to Eric at his shop- very nice guy. What a great a$$et to this board- thanks Eric!
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2006 at 11:53am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I just wanted to add that I just called and spoke to Eric at his shop- very nice guy. What a great a$$et to this board- thanks Eric!

Good- I'm glad I didn't jump on the anti-eric/advertising bandwagon when he first got here
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2006 at 12:43pm
It' really wasn't an anti eric gig it was a self promotion of the buisness, but we're way past that now and hopefully he with the help of the AG can turn the tide and stick it in this guy's a$$ where it belongs but thats on another post.

So tim did you get that thing taken apart and get the tube out?

alittle advice for the future if your doing something and it's going in easy then starts to tighten up don't force it something is wrong that's why it gets harder to do. But I'm sure your well aware of that now.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2006 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

So tim did you get that thing taken apart and get the tube out?

alittle advice for the future if your doing something and it's going in easy then starts to tighten up don't force it something is wrong that's why it gets harder to do. But I'm sure your well aware of that now.

No, not yet. Ive got a full seal/gasket kit on order and will tackle this in the spring- for now the boat is put away for the winter. With 1200 hrs, Ill give the internals a good once over and consult Eric on any hard parts that should be changed out.

The hose actually went in the wrong hole pretty easy- I didnt notice something was wrong until I wasnt sucking fluid. It just got snagged on the way out. Either way, lesson learned!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2006 at 1:41pm

alittle advice for the future if your doing something and it's going in easy then starts to tighten up don't force it something is wrong that's why it gets harder to do.

That's what my girlfriend said last night. Luckily enough I was able to convince her she was wrong though.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2006 at 1:46pm
That's funny Hollywood, she said the same thing to me the night before last, so I just flipped her over!

PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2006 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

That's funny Hollywood, you said the same thing to me the night before last, so I just flipped you over!

Gross. What you do on your own time should be kept off these boards, I am appalled
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2006 at 2:03pm
hell Last week when I was over there I tried greasing willy and everthing, even letting get half limp and still couldn't get it in.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2006 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

alittle advice for the future if your doing something and it's going in easy then starts to tighten up don't force it something is wrong that's why it gets harder to do.

That's what my girlfriend said last night. Luckily enough I was able to convince her she was wrong though.

OK HW, you do win the prize for innovation this time. CQ plays second fiddle in this thread. Good stuff people.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2006 at 3:06pm

The hose actually went in the wrong hole pretty easy

What the ....? Perhaps a new signature for Hollywood?
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2006 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

The hose actually went in the wrong hole pretty easy

What the ....? Perhaps a new signature for Hollywood?

Wow, screaming LOL at work at that one. I'm going to have to fire myself pretty soon.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2006 at 8:04am
Tim, maybe if you fill that trans to the top maybe the plastic will float, just a thought
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic