NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Control Cables

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Control Cables
    Posted: November-06-2006 at 5:59pm
How often do you guys replace control cables?

Recently I have found that the U-Flex cables that skidim sells are junk. After about 75 hours they jam or break.

This winter I will be replacing my Uflex cable with the teleflex cables. Hopefully they will not give me problems.

Anybody else having problems with the skidim cables?

Nothing against skidim....I would rather pay more for a product that is more reliable.

TIm
Shortline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 7:48pm

Description from West Marine Catalog: "Xtreme's unique design a$$ures smoothness and efficiency–with hardly any lost motion–even in the longest and most complex cable routings! This means superior feel at the control, in any boat–performance that had been considered "impossible". TfXtreme achieves the "impossible".

* Patent-pending splined core to achieves the impossible–easy movement and minimum lost motion
    * Ridges on the core allow a close fit with the cable's inner liner, but with minimum contact, so the core glides back and forth smoothly"

After I bought my used and previously uncared for 87 the throttle cable broke at the control box. I replaced the throttle and tranny cables with these Teleflex Extreme TFX6400B cables. They are amazing - and expensive. Hope to never have to replace them.
It wouldn't be that hard if the balls weren't so far apart and the boat wasn't going so damn fast!
Dank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2007 at 11:23am
Reviving this post...I believe I need a new control cable and skidim was the first place I went...correctcraftfan was the 2nd :) I like the price @ skidim, but I don't want to be putting a new cable in next fall. Any other opinions on the Uflex ($36) or the Teleflex ($165)? I also found these. the cables in there now are red jacketed so I'm thinking they are morse cables? Any opinions appreciated.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me"
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2007 at 2:10pm
I personally go morse red jacket or go home,
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2007 at 2:29pm
I second the morse red jacket.These are all I ever used,not that are not other good ones.My uncle owns a drive shaft shop and he is a Morse dealer,these are not considered marine parts everywhere so you might be able to pick one up without them knowing its for a boat which seems to add about 50% to the price.

Also on this note that little bra$$ end that hooks into the throttle,those are the second most common thing to break right after the impellor,if you have an extra I just tread it no to the cable end after its all made up for storage.

Good luck Munday
Dank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2007 at 2:39pm
Thanx for the replies guys. After a little more research I found 33C Red-Jacket® Teleflex Control Cables and 33C Supreme Red-Jacket® Teleflex Control Cable @ go2marine for pretty decent prices. I'm not exactly sure what the difference between the two are, but I'll probably go with the Supreme. Only question I have now is length. Is the best way just to pull the old one out and measure or does anyone have a length recommendation that I could go with so I can do the disa$$embly/new install all in one job?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2007 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by Dank Dank wrote:

Only question I have now is length. Is the best way just to pull the old one out and measure or does anyone have a length recommendation that I could go with so I can do the disa$$embly/new install all in one job?

Looks like you want the 17 foot cables. The easiest way to install the new ones is by attaching it to the old ones when you pull them out (or so Ive heard).

You may want to call White Lake and find out which model they are selling as replacement cables- we get a 10% discount from them.

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2007 at 7:55pm
We wouldnt use anything but Morse control cables , including Coast guard boats and any commercial vessels. they are next to none in qaulity. there is alot of junk out there, alot of the trans manufacturers are going to electric shift transmissions which eliminates the cables (bigger models) im sure one day it will follow into the smaller boat market
"the things you own will start to own you"
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2007 at 9:27pm
yeah but then you have to chase down electric shorts Eric. I would rather just change the cables once every ten years or longer depending on use.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2007 at 10:37pm
The old merc 2 trannies used elcectric shift, it actually had a dc 12 volt motor that turned in 90 degree increments. eventually they came out with a cable kit..... they had too, to many problems. im up in the air whether it be electric or manual
Dank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2007 at 11:32pm
The perfect pa$$ website says

"All 2006 and 2007 Nautiques, Malibu, MB and MasterCraft boats offer engines with “ETC” commonly referred to as “electronic throttle control” or “throttle by wire”. Most 2007 Moomba Boats offer “ETC”."

So I guess "one day" is here :)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 6:43am
Eric, Don't forget the electric Chris-O-Matic. Of coarse we have come along way since the good old days!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 7:22am
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

I would rather just change the cables once every ten years or longer depending on use.

ditto
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 7:40am
some times changing a cable is a real pita, a harness wouldnt be so bad
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic