Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

straight pipes

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: straight pipes
    Posted: November-06-2006 at 9:57pm
Just wondering if anybody has taken the muffler off of their boat and ran straight pipe. I have a 1993 SN. I have a good muffler guy around here who makes custom headers and I really don't think it would be a huge chore to do. Are there any reasons besides noise not to do this? It also looks really easy to switch out if you ever wanted to put the muffler back in. I just really like the sound of the older boats.

Any thoughts or experience on this?
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 11:35pm
What's a muffler?

Only kidding. My '63 has straight pipes, sounds great. You can run without mufflers with no problems, but ..... if you have local noise laws you might not pa$$, and if you ski early morning your neighbors might not appreciate it.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
redneck7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneck7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 1:22am
No mufflers on mine...sounds great.
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 3:06am
staineless straight sounds awsome...75 bucks for a 8ft stick..ditch the mufflers...
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 6:48am
Might be just me but on Vintage boats sounds great, on new boats you just wonder whats wrong with it. It will sound like a clapped out budget Ski Centurians that came without mufflers.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 8:56am
Todd, Ive got plans to get rid of my muffler someday. A friend of mine had a '92 Supra comp with the ProBoss motor. Im not sure if it had any mufflers, because that thing was LOUD.

Eventually Id like to fabricate a true dual exhaust with twin tailpipes, but that will involve gla$$ work at the transom. If you can have your guy fabricate some piping that would work with the existing exhaust hose, let me know- I may go the same route for the time being.
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 11:41am
"Straight Pipes Saves Lives"......

Moj'
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 11:49am
Now that's something I'd like to hear. I already thought that my boat sounds loud with mufflers. Without will probably sound like a Donzi or Formula boat. I boat on small lakes, so I wouldn't want to upset the waterfront folks.

Ken
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 5:17pm
anyone have pics
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 10:22pm
     I am shocked Daddy Jbear hasnt been here yet. You all know what he would do if he ever bought a boat that had mufflers!!!!

Jeff....
weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 10:28pm
Yeah, I know it would be a bit loud, but lets face it....it's cool. We vacation at the Ozarks so there is no problems there. About the only place where I would be concerned is in Minnesota. Ah hell, the fisherman hate me anyway. When I putt along it will just sound pretty. When I ski it will be really awesome. I just don't have mufflers on any of my trucks!

I will be looking into this more during the winter. I am at the mercy of the pipebender.

Thanks for the input guys!
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 10:36pm
Ok I wasn't gonna weight in on this one but I had to after Moj and JEFF both mentioned me. But then again, everybody here knows how I feel about mufflers. I bought the '80 because Rick advertised it as "no mufflers". They are meant to be loud and I don't mean the radio....either.

john

ps to JEFF: you better call me tomorrow night...about 9:30.....ok?
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by weitekampt weitekampt wrote:

I just don't have mufflers on any of my trucks!

This is actually true- with both our rigs on the same ramp, with his truck just idling, I could not tell if my boat had started or not. I ended up cranking it over twice since I couldn't tell the boat was running. That tow rig is LOUD.
1998Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 11:41pm
I have a 1998 Nautique with the GT-40 EFI. Can I use PVC pipe to run straight pipe? Will it hurt my motor?
Feelgood M.D. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feelgood M.D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2006 at 4:13pm
It might smell when it starts to melt. I used 3" ID Goodyear double wall wire reinforced rubber hose. Good for 450 deg. and 150 psi working pressure. Skidim's got something similar but its awfully pricy after shipping. Got mine dirt cheap from an oil field wholesaler at 7 bucks a foot or so. Mufflers are a non-issue as they should be on anything a man drives. For those concerned about "politeness" buy a box of ear plugs and hand them out to the girls on the lake. Any boater who complains about straight pipes should find a muffler to install on their mouth. Straight pipes on the rig are also highly recommended. First you hear the 6.5 TD howl and then you hear the 454 roar. vroooom!
Hunting for a Early 2000s Super Air or Super Sport w/ a Python
Former Boats:
2001 SN 196
1986 BFN
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2006 at 4:29pm
don't understand the big deal some of you guys make about replacing the mufflers with straight pipe, guess it's a cost issue SS 3" pipe vs. hose. Guess you like the look of all the splices instead of running one continous hose.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2006 at 4:37pm
Newer boats (1989+) only have one muffler- a dual inlet/single outlet. All hosing is run inside the main stringers, rather than outside on the older boats, so its not a straight shot down and back. Removing the muffler isnt quite as simple as running new hose in its place or running all new hose front to back.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2006 at 4:42pm
I know if I had that set up I could have my buddy Randy bend one up and have it done in less than an hour it's not really that hard to do. And you could also do it with elbows and a tee pretty easy as well.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2006 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

I know if I had that set up I could have my buddy Randy bend one up and have it done in less than an hour it's not really that hard to do. And you could also do it with elbows and a tee pretty easy as well.

Thats exactly what it would involve. Send Randy out my way!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2006 at 4:44pm
In Tim's case he'll need a single O pipe.

On the older boats we need the dual O pipe.

Here's the main site with all sorts of goodies.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2006 at 4:48pm
Can you get muffler bearings and blinker fluid there?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2006 at 4:56pm
Why would I waiste my Buddies time d*cking around with you??? send the damn thing to him and He can make one for you, Hell go to any local muffler shop and they could make one. It's real f**king hard to bend a u-shape drill a hole in it and then weld another section of pipe to it sure sounds like rocket science to me. Then you could use your DA to clean it up.

It's call fabrication, and that requires creative thinking, skill and know how, things you lack quite abit.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2006 at 5:05pm
Chris, I was kidding about sending Randy. I may or may not actually go this route- either way it wont be this year. I wasnt the one asking the question. I appreciate the vote of confidence on my fabrication skills, though!
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2006 at 5:17pm
Geeeeez, Tim, dangit all. We can't have any *erkoff comments. What the *hit? Don't be trippn' cause it aint *uckn' funny and mine is bigger than yours and the water is wet so why don't you go back to your silly place you came from and just don't think you're better than Frank, *sshole, bastage, fargin iceholes.

Ken
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2006 at 6:26pm
Ken your out there. what they are asking about is a pretty straight forward mod to make and with a little searching to source the parts it would take any bending or welding to make it work and eliminate the muffler. From what I recall the muffler looking like you need a couple of elbows and/or angles, a tee section and a few short straight sections to get rid of the muffler.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2006 at 6:45pm
does this have any affect on pressure/backpressure and loss of horsepower?...how loud are your guys boats?....can you hear each other talk or do you have to scream!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2006 at 6:50pm
here all you have to do is buy the pieces you need from these guys and I'm sure there are others that sell the same sh*t, but they sell all of the bends, h-pipe, silicone clamps and what ever other bullsh*t you need to replace the invetro mufflers on the newer boats with the single exhaust. Hell Timmy the rocket scientist that you are it suprises me you didn't already know this and had it on your christmas list.

supplies to replace muffler

look under tee, slicone and tubing and if you can't figure it from there then your f**ked because you wouldn't be smart enough the use a hack saw or screw driver either to install the sh*t.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2006 at 7:06pm
(*&^@#$   @#$@#^&&!! !)&**%*$!!!!!

L*&d P%$^s Sav% L@v#$!!!!!!

Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2006 at 7:12pm
Rhyan, my '64 is only a little louder than an Ozzy Osborn concert,but that is the way mine came. she has become fondly known as the old boat that sounds soooooo goooood!!!!!!!!!!! BTW i have a 400 watt stereo w/4 6x9 , when Jimmy Buffett is playing you get the best of both worlds;ROCK & ROLL........ boat dr

79 is just trying to share the love of LOUD, can you hear it ,if not it aint LOUD enough
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2006 at 10:24pm
Hollywood, That site is awesome. I just ordered a flux capacitor for the 81, gonna kick 79's arse this summer.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic