NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your first Boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 891011>
Author
Nevergrew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nevergrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2010 at 9:50am
Hi from Australia !! My first boat was this orange 1970 fiberglass clinker. Being towed by my beloved 1967 Holden.

I then modified it slightly. Tower, bench to bucket seats, rear ski-locker, enclosed engine hatch, platform.

We then painted it some new colours for my brother - who had bought it by then

I now own this clinker (1974), which I'm slowly building up to sell to make way for a CC of some sort.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2010 at 10:18am
I think it should be the other way around, sell the CC and by one of those "nice lines" boats, i see they did the old rudder trick on the outside of the transom...Moomba trick? the last pic is a beautiful boat and I'll have to say before the purple went on that other boat it was a beauty.
who makes the Holden?
aint no 1974 CC that ever looked like that
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2010 at 3:59pm
Justin,
What engines were (are) in the Clinkers?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2010 at 7:32pm
Eric - Holden is the Aussie branding for GM ...
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2010 at 10:18pm
I thought the Holden was from grand theft auto lol
"the things you own will start to own you"
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2010 at 1:57am
Those clinkers are pretty cool. That one from 74 looks a lot more modern than it is.

I will have to scan some pics of the Tomahawk ski boat we have. We still have it, and actually I took it out last summer . My friend and I were laughing so hard it was hard to catch a breath. We pulled cookies in it so tight that the prop would come out of the water. It's almost like a 14 foot jet ski but with an OB with baby blue and white and cadillac wings.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2010 at 2:04am
That's a cool first boat. I like it now, but have to admit it would be really cool in its original condition, particularly if you still have the 67 Holden. That rudder sticks out a long way from the back of the boat. Only driven one boat with the external rudder, a Moomba. It backed up pretty well for an inboard. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Nevergrew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nevergrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2010 at 7:04am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Justin,
What engines were (are) in the Clinkers?

Australian clinkers of the 70's came with many different engine configurations. The two above are Flightcraft's, the little one's a Phantom and has a 3.3 liter (202 c.i) and the larger boat is a Spectre and has a 5.0liter (308 c.i). Both have dog clutches. I will post some pics of the power plants tonight.

Not sure if you know, but up until probably the late 80's, nearly all new ski boats were sold with marinised automotive engines - Holden, Ford, Chev and Chrysler.
Nevergrew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nevergrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2010 at 8:27am
Found a couple of pics during their rebuilds.

The Phantom engine

The Spectre engine

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 4:12pm
Borrowed picture, but this MiniMax is exactly like my first.
I think my engine may have been bigger.    Mine was a 1953 Merc Super 10.

AT
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 4:34pm
One of my best buddies built a boat similar to that little hydroplane when we were in 8th or 9th grade. I think he used plans from Popular Mechanics. 10 horse Johnson. That was a lot of fun. BKH
Livin' the Dream

adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2010 at 4:53am

Recent trip back to Canada and found pictures of my grandfather's boat I didn't even know he had...

New Larson boat, don't know the year, but that's me in the driver's seat and I was born in '65
-Adam

1973 Skier
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 2:40am

Our '78 on its first day at the Ski Club dock on Sandusky Bay

The '78 on vacation in Tennessee

Sandusky Bay again..Patti with the rope..our nephew Brett who is now close to 30 sitting next to Mark Lastovka, who is driving.

Probably put these on before but..oh well.

Seems that you have had lots of boat driving experiance Adam. What color was the boat? How long was the season up there? Coupla weeks?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2010 at 11:37pm
Classic photos Adam.

Yes John, you've posted those before, but hey, that old yellow SN always looks great.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2010 at 12:44am
Thnks Brian..you gotta be the only guy paying attencion. Still I am always proud of my first and more proud of the young Patti pictures. Man I liked that long hair.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2010 at 1:30am
Apparently you still do like that long hair - on you
You're one of a kind JBear. Still love your wife after some 30 years more than most do after 1 year. That's the way it should be.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2010 at 1:59am
Thanks for the props Brian. But its easy...Patti does not like to shop, does not like a fancy house or furniture, does not like jewelry, will ride in the boat all day without complaint, is one of the better drivers in our club, especially for barefoot and can back a trailer or load the boat. Not much else to say about a girl like that.

I sure married way over my head I can tell ya.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2010 at 4:00am
Jbear- Do you have any daughters around the age of 22, and look up to their mother? Sounds like you have a wife that is skilled at boating in ways we all wish our significant others could be.
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2010 at 12:55pm
Jbear,I recognize the lovely Patty,but who's that guy driving your boat?
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2010 at 4:46pm
This is Patti..... we do not have a daughter but we sure do have a SINGLE neice who is almost as good as I am. She is single and absolutely gorgeous and made huge tips as a bartender with her assests... her personality.

Tom: That is my brother's bro-in-law; Mark Lastovka. Current President of the West Shore Water Ski Club...and a second generation member of said club. Ironworker by trade...one of those guys that make me crazy...he can fix or make anything.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2010 at 9:35pm
The reason I asked he looks a youmger version of a co-worker.If I had been reading a little closer I would have seen he named in the post...duh!
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2010 at 9:35pm
The reason I asked he looks a youmger version of a co-worker.If I had been reading a little closer I would have seen he was named in the post...duh!
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2010 at 4:42pm
Bruce just looking through all these threads there are two red ..c/c on the channel on lake ossipee maybe four houses apart. between broad bay and the main lake. they look the part you never know..
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2011 at 10:21pm
It's time, once again.
LeftFieldEngineering View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2014 at 12:33pm
1st: Picked up this Gem for 500 bucks, best money I ever spent. Introduced me to water sports and I've never looked back.

2nd: After a season with the MFG I wanted a "real" boat so I started looking for a Correct Craft. I though I was onto something when I found this one in the "free" section of c.list.
Not only was it busted up on the driver side, but it was missing EVERY single piece. Instead of wasting time looking for parts I turned this lemon into lemonade and made some custom furniture.

3rd: With the floor & transom rotting out in the MFG I decided to strip the running gear and transplant it into this '66 MirroCraft Ski N' Troll. Although it's not a CC it technically was a "ski" boat.

4th: (Current) After years of searching I finally brought home a Correct Craft, actually 2 of them. Plan is to resto-mod the Tique using the good parts from the totaled Nautique. Then when all's said & done I'm going to make a few more bars from the Nautique carcass.

Timr71 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timr71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2018 at 2:34pm
[QUOTE=86BFN] Thought I'd throw these up. My first boat (besides the ones my parents had) is a 93 Hydrodyne. owned since 95, 900 hrs on the 350 Magnum and still going strong.

On my way to Cherokee Lake at the Bean Station overlook.

And here in the water with overlook in the background.

I know this is an old thread, but I think some of the guys in this thread are still here. It's just that I know exactly where this picture was taken. My cousin, built a cabin about 19 years ago in Bean Station on Ray's creek and he hosts my family there every 4th of July. I love skiing in Ray's creek...that's the nearest piece of water to the overlook.

Sunset on my cousin's dock. The overlook would but up to the right from there.

One more...skiing in Ray's creek at sunset.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2018 at 2:47pm
Good to see this old thread pop up once again.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2018 at 10:44pm

And of course, the first boat with my name on the title:

[IMG]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e260/TRBenj/snside.jpg">[/QUOTE]

Ha, 11.5 year later and I just noticed for your first boat, you bought an exact copy of the boat you learned to ski behind.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2018 at 5:51pm
I think I have the most unique Nautique. This paint Job was put on the boat by Thieves.
Boat was stolen around 1980 in Reno NV. Used by those that stole it for 2 years. Recovered and sold off by the insurance company in 1982 when I purchased it.
We had it for 8 years. Great Boat.   I was broke at the time so the paint job stayed. It was well applied and grew on me.   I liked it after a while. Caught a bunch of flack from many Nautique owners for not flying the flag.   We bought this boat in December of 82 after getting married in November of 82. Purchased for $5,000 and sold in 1990 for $7,500.
Everything was like new when I sold it. Not so much when we bought it.
We had a custom cover built to help store it outside shown as we were picking it up,
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2018 at 9:03pm
A "unique" paint job to say the least. Not sure it would grow on me, but I can have a good time on most all boats. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 891011>
  Share Topic