NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your first Boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 11>
Author
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2006 at 9:47pm
Awesome pics Alan!
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2006 at 10:07pm
That 71 MC is a pretty rare boat Alan. MC didnt really get the production numbers up until mid 70s. Even though it's an MC would be cool if you still had it.

Great pics. Hope we see some more from the rest of the crowd. BKH
Livin' the Dream

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2006 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by bkhallpa$$ bkhallpa$$ wrote:

That 71 MC is a pretty rare boat Alan. MC didnt really get the production numbers up until mid 70s. Even though it's an MC would be cool if you still had it.

Great pics. Hope we see some more from the rest of the crowd. BKH

Brian,

I did some research on it before I bought it, it was hull #15. The only boat older than it that Master Craft was aware of was owned by them, restored and in their showroom. The 71 had a 302 Holman Moody and man it ran strong. It was not built anywhere near as heavy as a Nautique of the same vintage, very light and nimble but not as solid. It sure was a blast to drive.
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2006 at 10:24pm
Alan

What awesome pics! That one of you on the boom made me laugh out loud!

Hope the pics keep coming! Maybe some of the "oldies" jbear had before the "current" one.

Rob
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2006 at 11:02pm
Rob,

In the picture of the 4 of us heading out to foot, the guy standing is the one that got me into barefooting. He was 45 then and that photo is from 1986. I can Not believe that he is 65 years old now and I don't even know if the's still around.

I think that's why I have such a good time skiing with all you younger guys, it's the same picture I'm just in a different role now. Everytime I see Hollywood doing a stupid human barefoot trick on the water it brings back some great and sometimes painful memories. hahaha
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2006 at 12:20am
Great post! I am lovin' looking at all the old pics!

Hate to sound dumb but.....how to ya get them old shots up? Every time I hold my old pics up in front of the computer nothing happens. Do you have to have one of them scanner things?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2006 at 12:31am
You can go to Walmart, Longs, those type of places, scan the picture and save it on a disk. It's really not hard. The folks at the photo center will help you. BKH
Livin' the Dream

ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2006 at 2:15am
Brian there is days when i think the same thing.That was a very fun boat,but the bigger picture.....80 Show Someday.
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2006 at 9:28am
Hey Magic,
Great pics of the old rides... Now that you're older, don't be going and breaking anything... Coming out of retirement isn't always that easy... Ask Junior Seau !!! Ouch.... I still like the idea of the cooler on shore.. It hurts less..

Moj'
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2006 at 9:38am
Looks like I'll have to bust out the scanner. I have some great pics of the 77 SN that "set the hook" for me to be addicted to inboards for the rest of my life. TRB, let's see some pics of your family's boats, since you've had like 40 CCs!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2006 at 9:47am
I should have gone through the old pics when I was home for Thanksgiving. Ill try to remember when I go back in a few weeks.
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2006 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Looks like I'll have to bust out the scanner. I have some great pics of the 77 SN that "set the hook" for me to be addicted to inboards for the rest of my life.

Come on Joel....with all the technology you've got, I figured you'd be the first to "bust out" the old pics! Get them up there!

Rob
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2006 at 6:33am
Thanks Brian. It is off to wallyworld for me after I dig thru the closet.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2006 at 8:55am
Jbear, "Wallyworld" of course comes from the "Vacation" movie, which is of course followed by the greatest sequel of all time "Christmas Vacation", a must view of our family every year.

Ok, back to first boats. This boat is a 14' 1958 Vishio, made in Topeka, KS. It was constructed of dimpled aluminum, and was a gift from my dad to my grandfather. I don't remember the original engine, but I do know that is the boat I learned to ski behind. Sadly, I just sold it to make more room to work on the Nautique.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2006 at 9:12am
Ok, here it is. This is a "technical" entry since we didn't own this boat- there's not a chance that my family could have afforded something like this. However, good family friends of ours owned this boat for over 20 years and I learned to ski on it. This boat originally was one of two purchased for the Chain Skimmers waterski team in Eagle River, WI. The boat was then purchased by this family the next year since 5 of the kids in the family were in the show. I haven't laid eyes on this boat since 1992 but I never forgot it. I wouldn't ski behind an inboard again until 2002 when I purchased my first SN. This boat is what "set the hook" for me and made me a CC addict. One day, I'll buy a 77 and fully restore it when I have more time and money.

The second pic is of me getting up behind the boat for the first time in 1988.

That's my dad sitting on the transom.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2006 at 10:44am
Chuck, I first skied behind the same. Aluminum fisher with a 10horse Johnson. I can't believe after all these years you let her go.

Joel, great pics. Is that mom in the water helping young Joel get started? BKH
Livin' the Dream

rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2006 at 10:50am
I can't imagine trying to get up behind a 10 horse aluminum boat. I guess that means I was spoiled growing up with a CC.

Great pics of a young M3fan. What a great pic to have of your first time skiing! Does that family still have the boat? It would be great to be able to buy that one.

Rob
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2006 at 11:04am
Rob, when your 4 years old you don't weigh too much.
OK Brian, now your making me feel worse about the decision--it was painful, and out of place for me, I have a tendency to hang on to things that have a relationship to important people, but now I can get my truck in the spot it was taking in the garage, an important consideration in a midwestern winter.
I wrote a story about that boat, myself, my Dad, and my brother out on a fishing expedition when I was a little kid.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2006 at 11:21am
Originally posted by rleinen79 rleinen79 wrote:

Great pics of a young M3fan. What a great pic to have of your first time skiing! Does that family still have the boat? It would be great to be able to buy that one.

Rob

The boat is now in Colorado, but belongs to the same family. One of the kids brought it out west about 2 years ago. Apparently it has very low hours but it sat in the water every summer since 1977- probably has blisters and rot. Who knows. I will have one eventually.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2006 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by rleinen79 rleinen79 wrote:

I can't imagine trying to get up behind a 10 horse aluminum boat. I guess that means I was spoiled growing up with a CC.Rob

Spoiled or just Lucky Rob!

The first ski for me was at 5yrs old (1969) behind my Grandpa's Rinken or Rinker with a 70hp Chrysler OB. One of the older boy's next door had an aluminum boat with a 7.5hp OB, we skied behind that more than anything else, even with us being just little kids we still needed to get one person as far forward as possible and the driver would sit in the middle and reach for the hand throttle just to get up on plane.

Joel, my first CC was a 77 same color as in your pic's, man did that thing ride low but it sure had a great sound to it!

Looks like I need to get to my folks and dig thru the photo albums plus my own to get some pic's and I believe my folks have my first ski on an old reel to reel, 8mm or whatever you call those old projectors.

Great thread Brian, hope all is well and you are getting used to those poopy pant changes!!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2006 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

I believe my folks have my first ski on an old reel to reel, 8mm or whatever you call those old projectors.

I'll agree with Chuck at 4 years old, it doesn't take much power to get you up. We actually had an inboard at the time, but the wake was a little scary till I'd been up a few times behind the old outboard. My disappointment is that the movies of the first skis have been lost. When my parents died, I saw the films, but I'm afraid they must have been thrown out by accident. Oh well.

Poopy diapers aint no thang. BKH
Livin' the Dream

92'NIQUE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92'NIQUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2006 at 5:46pm
Gotta love those old pix. For those of you posting old pictures (from the analog days), could you give us a tip on how you are digitizing them in order to get them on the computer?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2006 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by 92'NIQUE 92'NIQUE wrote:

Gotta love those old pix. For those of you posting old pictures (from the analog days), could you give us a tip on how you are digitizing them in order to get them on the computer?

I'm doing mine on a scanner but from what I'm reading you can take your photos to most places that develop film and they will scan them and burn them to a CD. Pretty good way to archive your old photos too.
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2006 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

you can take your photos to most places that develop film and they will scan them and burn them to a CD. Pretty good way to archive your old photos too.

That's all I did. Took them to the photo station at the drug store and scanned them in. Then $2.99 to burn them onto a CD. Quick, easy, and well worth it to share the memories. Keep them coming!

Rob
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2006 at 12:21pm
Already posted on page 1, but found a pic of my old bayliner. I brushed the hull on this pic because the scanner scarred it up. Also my 87 Armored Personnel Carrier.

Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2006 at 12:56pm
Dude,

Where is the picture of the Supra taken. I lived in Houston 79-88 and spent many hours on San Jacinto and San Bernard Rivers. The bridge reminded me of those. Either one??
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2006 at 3:41pm
Sorry Larry. It's on Clear Creek at the Egret's Bay ramp. btw, the guy in the boat is the happy man who bought it from me. I loved that boat, but you know what they say about the best two days of a boat owner's life...

That Bayliner I bought for $3k in 1989 and sold for $4k in 1993.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2006 at 3:37pm
My first Correct Craft. Bought it while still in college, 1980. Needed entire resto which I did very poorly, but OK for a 21 year old. Dragged it to SoFLA with me after school. These picts were taken on canal and marina in Dania. I foolishly ran it in the salt water, and after a few years down there with it, I sent it back up to NC, where my dad stored it for years. At the time I no intentions of ever moving back, so I told my dad to let it go to a guy who had been hounding him for years, which was back in about 1988. Haven't seen it since.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2006 at 3:56pm
What a first boat! No wonder ya love them old ones so!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2006 at 5:31pm
Great boat, great pic Reid. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 11>
  Share Topic