NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Great Customer Service

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Great Customer Service
    Posted: November-14-2006 at 9:25am
called Walter's machine company in hopes that they did'nt remember me, these guys manufacture v-drives for CC and MC and many other boats, anyways I called to order a seal and gasket kit and
u-joints and the next thing they asked was what about bearings, i told them that I buy them locally, there was a pause and then he said to me why dont you buy the other parts you need locally and then hung up on me. Ive had nothing but problems over the years with those guy's. at one time they even told me that all thier bearings are specially made for thier v-drives and I fell for it and paid
the price...... needed to whine a little this morning
"the things you own will start to own you"
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2006 at 10:58am
damn the man, ef those phucks. feel better?
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2006 at 1:15pm
Eric;when you get rich and your clients are CC and MC and you dont need your phone to ring to a$$ure you a "draw" at the end of the week,you too can just hang up.
so good to talk to you last nite,something about LOCATION,LOCATION,LOCATION...........
what about my RULE;ATTITUDE ATTITUDE and above all else ATTITUDE

Be nice to the janitor;one day he could be your BOSS
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2006 at 9:38pm
Eric I've been there with those guys.My old arenacraft has a walters v drive,and my uncle owns a driveline company here in oklahoma.I had the joints and bearings needed a little h joint connecter those guys wouldn't sell me one without a whole rebuild kit.But at that time I knew a guy at Palmer Power in houston they sold it to him no problem,guess I wasn't a big enuf wheel for those guys.

Munday
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2006 at 10:13pm
Munday, do you know frankie over at frankies marine?... good guy, has alot of outboard stuff.
yeah they are rotten over there at walters, pretty soon they will be a transmission from the past, they still use u-joints in tha angle housing and guess where the weak link is? zf hurth is now manufacturing a v-drive and it uses synthetic oil and they claim you never have to service it and i believe that they accomplish the v-drive with gears instead of u-joints
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2006 at 8:38am
I don't know Frankie,never owned or worked on any out board stuff.But always like to meet guys with similar interests,esp. if they understand motorosity.

Munday
DonC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 5:38pm
Eric,

I'll bet Walter Machine remembers you since they try their best to make sure that the correct quality FACTORY ORIGINAL parts go back into their V-Drives when they are "rebuilt" in the field.

Unfortunately there are too many backyard mechanics who charge a lot of $ for doing what they call a "rebuild" and then reinstall the old bearings or used parts or -- worse yet -- put in the wrong cheap bearings made in China and elsewhere. The "rebuild" turns into 99% labor (PROFIT) and 1% parts.

Of course the boat owner never knows and when the substandard part fails, then Walters gets blamed.

I'm sure you are well educated in bearing nomenclature and realize that the bearing manufacturers don't stamp the performance codes on the bearings (which controls how the races are honed, and the tolerances on the outside diameter, inside diameter and width) which has a great impact on the life of the bearing. You also realize that the same numbered ball bearing (example "6206") can be sourced from different manufacturers with everything from plastic cages to machined bronze cages and in various tolerances on OD, ID and width and internal preload.

And of course you understand the severe duty life in marine use. I've been told that Walter Machine has to place orders for their bearings 30 to 60 WEEKS in advance with the bearing manufacturers. Hey, if you prefer to buy foreign transmissions (ZF owns something like 40 factories in China), go right ahead, you'll just L-O-V-E the cost of replacment parts. Walters must be doing something right since they've been around for more than 75 years and make everything in the good old USA.

Wake up America, BUY AMERICAN or learn Chinese !!!!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 5:46pm
Interesting post Don C. Where do you work?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by DonC DonC wrote:

I'm sure you are well educated in bearing nomenclature and realize that the bearing manufacturers don't stamp the performance codes on the bearings (which controls how the races are honed, and the tolerances on the outside diameter, inside diameter and width) which has a great impact on the life of the bearing. You also realize that the same numbered ball bearing (example "6206") can be sourced from different manufacturers with everything from plastic cages to machined bronze cages and in various tolerances on OD, ID and width and internal preload.

And of course you understand the severe duty life in marine use. I've been told that Walter Machine has to place orders for their bearings 30 to 60 WEEKS in advance with the bearing manufacturers.

wow that's the biggist bunch of horse *************** I've heard all day, bearings with a lead time of over 6 months, hell we can get custom spec'd bearings for a jet engine in fraction of the time you quote. Sounds like your a walter rep to me.

hell spec the number and choose the class and then go have them pulled off the self at bearing Inc been there done that all to often on several R&D one off projects over the years.
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 5:58pm
So DonC, you are saying that a person can not buy quality, USA Made, parts from a local dealer, only from Walter?
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 8:25pm
he works for Walters, its sweat time cause PCM replaced the Walter's with they're own version of a v-drive called the ski-vee, no maintanace, 2 europeon cut bevel gears, very simple, very Quiet, very reliable
Once again in my 25 years in the service business, that was one of the most dis-appointing calls i ever made.
My warranty on my overhauls covers the bearings i prefer to use not yours.......
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 10:23pm
Well, I sure hope Walters uses the best bearings they can find!! The use of the design with the "U" joints puts lots of harmonic loading on the bearings. The "severe" duty is from the U joints and not because it's marine. It's sure a cheap design! Commercial bearings from the gearbox OEM? can you imagine the mark up!!!!

I saw in the other thread that their so called best prop puller available had a rather high cost on it too!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 11:15pm
Eric, This is copied and pasted from the Walters web site:

"Reputation for Service
Walter Machine's commitment to service began in 1927. We understand your need to keep downtime to an absolute minimum. That's why Walter Gear Drives are built to withstand punishment which would cause other brands to quit. That's why Walter products are designed with "ease of repair" in mind. That's why we maintain a huge parts inventory for prompt shipment. That's why our customers keep coming back year after year, application after application !"

Sounds like a bunch of BS!!! I thought you'd get a kick out of it! I'm sure you'll be going back "year after year".

There's also a thread over on Planet Nautique regarding a Walters. Big problems with no teeth left on one of the gears. Seems there is a tooth hardness (or lack of) issue.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2008 at 1:03am
Man I love these newbys who get on here and climb on their soap-boxes.

Checked Don's profile......"not given" for all his info. Surprised?

Thanks for dropping by Don.....see ya later.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2008 at 4:03am
Don Chaternuck from Walter machines quoted me U$D2350 for a V-drive unit a few months ago, I felt it was quite high priced since a whole V-drive/transmission package from PCM is just that price.
Also, the PCM is lighter and easier to service.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2008 at 10:21am
I always give someone the benefit of the doubt, I hope that wasnt taken as bad mouthing a product, i just dont like the fact that i was told that Walters uses special ground to tolerance bearings. unless it was meant that all bearings are ground to special ground tolerances which they are. it sometimes made my life not as easy sourcing the parts through other sources in which they are always happy to sell me the parts...its my old addage, if you dont talk to her somebody else will
DonC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2008 at 7:15pm
79 Nautique wrote "bearings with a lead time of over 6 months, hell we can get custom spec'd bearings for a jet engine in fraction of the time you quote. hell spec the number and choose the class and then go have them pulled off the self at bearing Inc."

79 Nautique, I hate to say it but you are 100% dead wrong. You can try to get 'em at Bearing Inc. but they don't have them, Motion doesn't have them, Kaman doesn't have them -- and guess what? The performance codes aren't even stamped on the bearings in the Walters so how would you know which ones to ask for? I'd suggest you also check things out before you say they're overcharing: go ahead and price the bearings out at Walters and you'll see they're no more expensive than the standard low grade ones stocked at the bearing houses. Walters is just trying to make sure the CORRECT bearing goes into the gearbox for the good of the boat owner, period. Unfortunately the guys doing the repairs just care about making $ and not putting in OEM quality parts.

Eric Lavine -- That is some bad mouthing for sure !! Don't worry, Walters is not going anywhere. You can rant and rave about how good European/Chinese made stuff is but we'll see what happens in a year or two. My money buys AMERICAN whenever possible. You can keep buying foreign made stuff and one day you'll wake up to find you don't have any customers 'cause they don't have jobs. All I know is that if Walters wasn't doing something right they wouldn't be around this long.

8122pbrainard: I'd suggest you get on the phone and tell GM, Toyota, Ford, John Deere, Mack Truck, Caterpillar, etc..., that u-joints don't work. There are millions and millions and millions in service throughout the world but according to you they're no good. That's just poppy-cock.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2008 at 7:42pm

8122pbrainard: I'd suggest you get on the phone and tell GM, Toyota, Ford, John Deere, Mack Truck, Caterpillar, etc..., that u-joints don't work. There are millions and millions and millions in service throughout the world but according to you they're no good. That's just poppy-cock.

Well you sure don't know the difference between a CV and a "U" joint! Tell us why CC dropped using your V drives in all there boats except one and that's only because it is being redesigned!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2008 at 7:43pm
DonC-
This is not really about the bearings. Why would you not sell him the parts he needs and let him worry about how many customers he has in the future.

This thread was really started because of poor customer service. Even if you do not agree with what he is doing, did he deserve to be treated like that on the phone? I think not.
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2008 at 10:06pm
1) I'll ask our bearing engineer to read this thread over morning coffee - it's about COST0MER SERVICE.
2) I saw a retired fork lift driver at a farm auction the other day, he said the only reason he stopped me was because even thou I didn't know him I always said Hi at work.
Man that made me feel like a million bucks.   
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

pwningjr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwningjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2008 at 11:13pm
Slow down there, dude. You seem to be making quite a few mistakes...

go ahead and price the bearings out at Walters and you'll see they're no more expensive than the standard low grade ones stocked at the bearing houses.

Um... Seems to me you just contradicted yourself?
Jay
"Proud to be a geek"
Big Heavy (stephan): One can't always be perfect when water dancing on your shred stick.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2008 at 11:35pm
Im not bad mouthing Walter's Don, Im bad mouthing Walters poor service on trying to capitalize on a product, im the first one not to buy a foriegn car, but those $40,000.00 cars drive this economy, 200.00 microwaves dont. you hung up on me twice in the last 15 years because i wouldnt bye your capitalized overinflated 400% mark up special ground bearings....were in the same business and if you called me with a need i wouldve of gladly accomadated you. tricks like this make companies move over seas, I have a feeling he goes through alot of phones
DonC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2008 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by pwningjr pwningjr wrote:

go ahead and price the bearings out at Walters and you'll see they're no more expensive than the standard low grade ones stocked at the bearing houses.

No contradtion at all; Walters sells the premium grade bearings at the same price (or less) than the low grade ones stocked at the bearing houses. Obviously a lot of guys on this thread seem to believe that a "6306" bearing is the same as any other "6306" bearing but that's just not the case. Some are made in the US, some in Japan, some in China; the tolerances for the width of the bearing, the outside diameter and the inside diameter are ALL different from different manufacturers.
DonC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2008 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by azeus17 azeus17 wrote:

DonC-
This is not really about the bearings. Why would you not sell him the parts he needs and let him worry about how many customers he has in the future.

This thread was really started because of poor customer service. Even if you do not agree with what he is doing, did he deserve to be treated like that on the phone? I think not.

You are exactly right, it's ALL about customer service. It's about making sure the correct quality parts go back into the product so that it lasts and nobody gets stranded in the middle of a session -- or worse yet -- somebody gets hurt.    

Just wondered why you believe Eric and all his bad mouthing and stories? Walters has always had the best reputation in the U.S. transmission industry. Sure there are cheaper v-drives out there with parts made in China and other places, but they don't get into Walters products. Oh, and when comparing to that PCM unit, make sure everyone understands there isn't even a dipstick to check the oil level. No oil pump either. Glad to hear about the "European cut gears" too; I guess some really are stupid enough to believe "European" is better than American-made ?%#!#%? Let's keep buying Chinese and European stuff and keep watching our economy sink even faster. Got to run to the beach -- see ya !!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2008 at 4:13pm
I think it would help things along, only for the sake Of Walter's machine company, to re-evaluate your customer service policies, I dont have enough fingers on my hands to count the negative responses after speaking with people accross this country when dealing with your company...me I could care less anymore, I was truly shocked, bad publicity travels 10 fold
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2008 at 5:00pm
There are very very few products and services out there where you don't have a choice of who you get it from. At that point, the product doesnt sell the product, the service sells the product. I am very sensitive to this because my clients think (incorrectly) I deliver a commodity that can be gotten anywhere. It is therefore service that sells our product (and our product is service, not widgets). It would never occur to me in a million years to hang up on a client or potential client, and if anyone ever did that to me, they'd be off my list. I am very senstive to service because I so often get service that makes me think "If I did that to my customer, I'd be fired" Don, never underestimate the value of customer service, no matter how good your product is.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2008 at 5:09pm

Originally posted by pwningjr pwningjr wrote:

No contradtion at all; Walters sells the premium grade bearings at the same price (or less) than the low grade ones stocked at the bearing houses. Obviously a lot of guys on this thread seem to believe that a "6306" bearing is the same as any other "6306" bearing but that's just not the case. Some are made in the US, some in Japan, some in China; the tolerances for the width of the bearing, the outside diameter and the inside diameter are ALL different from different manufacturers.

they are all the same there is one key point you miss d*ck,

that is the CLASS of the bearing.

"6306" is the basic size of the bearing, the class 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 determinds the tolerances of the bearing so if you walk into the bearig store and ask for a class 4 6306 bearing you'll have a better bearing than what walter used in the first place. So are you Done DON trying to blow smoke up everyones azz because I know what the hell I'm takling about pick up a bearing book it's all there in black and white dumb azz and it doesn't F in matter if it's NTN, Tomken or any other bearing manufactures they are all standardized and manufacured to the same specs, now if you don't specify the class then your going to get the cheapest, sloppy fitting bearing around duche bag.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2008 at 5:29pm
Wow, guys! Guess you had to be there! Had some time to read through and can't believe the attitude.

Don - I am sure it's safe to say that you are 100% American, meaning you really have no heritage! And I can safely assume that "if" and that's a big "if" there is a lady in your life, she believes that you stand above all other men because...buddy you are the best there is!

It's probably a good thing that you are just an employee for the company and do not own it.

I don't know a thing about "bearings" but rest assured I would listen to the guys on this site and I know what I would not buy now.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2008 at 10:20am
From Walters site:

"Walter Machine's commitment to it's customers and to service began in 1927. We understand your need to keep downtime to an absolute minimum. That's why Walter Gear Drives are built to withstand punishment which would cause other brands to quit. That's why Walter products are designed with "ease of repair" in mind. That's why we maintain a large parts inventory for prompt shipment. That's why our customers keep coming back year after year, application after application."

Never answered:
"year after year" Why did Correct Craft stop?!!!

"ease of repair"? Too bad Eric couldn't get the "special" bearings!!!

Why is "ease of repair" quoted in the Walters statement?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2008 at 12:53pm
I really feel bad about bringing this up, but somehow with my sadistic personality in a way im trying to help the guy out. hooray for buying American, Im all for that, I have no problem with Walter's, Its a world market and you have to do what you can to make a buck and that's where my problem was. Im trying to make a living, I never ever turn down any type of work and try to accommadate, I just couldnt understand his logic if i sourced my own Bearings, its very contradictory to say hey you cant make money but we can.....and what the hell does it have to do with warranty issues when i have my own warranty. I have a feeling old man Walter's, If thats who started Walter's would roll in his grave.
Don, its hard enough out there and you dont need anymore bad press, I truly felt what you did to me was unacceptable in the business world, do an 180 turnaround and see what happens to business.....you might surprised
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic