NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mustang 17 on Ebay

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mustang 17 on Ebay
    Posted: November-18-2006 at 9:45pm
There's a unique 1976 Mustang 17' currently on Ebay that I have some history with. I hooked the previous owner up with this boat back in 99 which he got for a song. He was a very good friend and one-time co-worker who has since moved. While I was working on a long term project down in FLA a number of years ago, the hellian son who used the boat most often, managed to wreck SEVERAL of the family cars over a short period of time and the parents decided to sell the boat somewhat for retribution and to recoup damages, unbeknowst to me. And the only reason I even cared was because I had the majority of time and money in the 351 that still exists in the boat today. As most of you know, a 17 Mustang didn't come from CC with a 351. This one, like most came with a 302 PCM. Myself and a retired Ford engineer buddy, pulled that engine and we set about swapping in the 351. The engine got a long block from PAW which we ordered with the early model D0OE heads, KB Flat Top pistons, a fairly stout Crane RR cam also, back when these were still available. The intake is a Performer RPM and the carb is an Edelbrock 750 marine unit. I had to build a raised and carpeted base for the engine box to clear. It ran so well, but we never got the chance to completely work out all the bugs before they let it go, but it was a solid mid-50s mph boat. The owner had re-painted it in his garage (don't ask) and it sorta showed, but looked great from a short distance. I believe it was sold turning a 13x16 prop which was a bit too much, as it was the only one we had close at the time, but it still turned it about 4800. Someone will be really pleased with this boat's performace if they can pick it up for a good price.   
ReidP
1973 Mustang

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2006 at 11:50pm
I took a look at the listing. Someone will probably buy that boat cheap, the listing isn't very good and the interior doesn't look too sharp. I doubt many people will realize the 351 will really push that boat and the owner didn't even make mention of the fact it has more power than a stock Mustang.

I'm not in the market, but for someone in that area it could be a great buy.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2006 at 7:29am
My take exactly David! I just hoping that someone we know here will gobble it up so I don't have to.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2006 at 11:06am
Come on Reid, you can use another one. I can't think of a more worthy home!
Greg

86 BFN
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2006 at 7:53pm
    Reid, that is a cool looking engine. I was wondering how you stuffed that in there and then read that you had to raise the doghouse. those Mustangs have a tapered box and are not quite high enough for any hi-rise intake. Too bad it sounds as if you were saying that boat was ridden hard.

Jeff..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic