NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gel Spraying Techniques

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 7>
Author
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gel Spraying Techniques
    Posted: December-01-2006 at 10:41am
What type of sprayer should I use to apply gel over a large area of the boat? I'll guess and say not an automotive sprayer.

How do I make sure it is the right thickness? Can I apply several thin coats or does it need to be all in one spray?

Worse yet, is this something that can only be done at a boat yard because of the extensive amount of equipment and experience required?
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2006 at 7:12am
Skibum, The spray gun isn't anthing special but it does have to be set up for the gel coat. The fluid tip, nozzel, air cap, etc, needs to be the correct combination for the viscoscity. A gravity feed gun can be used but the problem with this type is it doesn't hold much material so you need to refill it offen. A 2 quart pressure feed gun with remote cup is better. A siphon feed gun can be used but the gel needs to be reduced so much and the air pressure real high to get it through the gun that I wouln't recommend it. The film thickness will be recomended by the gel manufacturer and how much the gel has been reduced but generally is greater than 22 mils. There are film thicness gauges available to check it. If you haven't sprayed much, this is not a job that I would recomend you practice on. Pete

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2006 at 11:06am
if you can find a shulz (im not sure of the spelling) its used for spraying thicker viscosity liquids, I use this type of gun for spraying undercoatings and bedliners and I'll even mix resin and spray it that way but you do have to clean the gun in a hurry
"the things you own will start to own you"
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2006 at 7:26pm
When applying the gel, is it all done in one 22 mil thick spray?
Bill
Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2006 at 4:35am
I know you guys are still using imperial in the states, but 22mm is some thick gel, you'll be lucky to get that on without a few runs!

Skibum, has the old gel been removed? If not then paint it, gel is a nightmare to work with if you are going about it backwards, ie gel last, it's a pain in dea$$ to sand if you don't get it right first time.
Easily Parted From Money
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2006 at 12:36pm
Tomski, Yes, 22 mil is quite heavy but the gel needs to be quite heavy. It doesn't have very much pigment in it like paint does so it has very low hiding qualities. All repairs must be color matched as close as possible. You also need quite a build since it does require a lot of wet sanding to remove the orange peel. With a pot life of better than 3 hours, several coats can be applied with time between the coats to allow the vehicle to flash off. Pete

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2006 at 12:45pm
Tomski, I just noticed that you questioned a gel thickness of 22mm. Please note that I had posted the gel thickness of 22mil. which is .022 of a inch or in your case .5588mm , Pete

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2006 at 6:30pm
The gel is still on the boat. I have not yet began to grind/sand/whatever to remove the gel. My first inclination was to repair the areas with spider cracks and fix a repair from the previous owner. Somebody posted that it may be better to just remove all the gel and start again. I have also been told I could actually use automotive paints, finishing with several layers of clear coat. I have painted several cars/trucks but never sprayed gel.
Bill
Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2006 at 5:17am

That expalins it! Transatlantic communication issues!

I think we'd call that 22thou here. Britain is a terrible place for measurement as we are part metric and part imperial. It's becoming more metric, but older people still work in imperial and people of my age (mid 30's) use both. I tend to just use what is most convenient for whatever i'm measuring.

Skibum, I say paint it if it star cracks and old repairs. Pretty much all coloured boats of any size are painted from the factory - sunseeker, princess etc. Awl Grip (american, i think) is the stuff, not easy to spray (but still a lot easier than gel) anf very tough and a fantastic shine, especially in dark colours.
Easily Parted From Money
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2006 at 7:25am
Skibum, If you are going to do all the repairs required to paint the whole boat, then I would lean towards gel instead. If you have sprayed paint before then it may not take much to learn to spray the gel. Yes, the poly paints are fantastic but they are still paint. My background is mostly in wood boats so I'm very aware of the care and caution required on a painted / varnished surfaces.

The reference to removal of all the gel was if you have lots of blistering, spider and stress cracking that tells you the whole gel surface is bad. It's going to be a judgement call on your part but remember that if it's gel or paint, both depend on what's under it.

Tomski, I think you should move over here and then the communication issue wouldn't be a problem!! Ha Ha, we have to deal with 2 systems as well! Pete

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2006 at 11:29am
Jumping in this thread late (and only read part of it, so sorry if I am repeating what others have already said). I personally recommend automotive type suction feed spray guns. Anything larger than the typical auto gun will be very problematic as you will have a hard time spraying more gel before it hardens in the gun. I tend to spray only a 1/2 pint at a time. The gelcoat MUST be thinned with Styrene (and ONLY Styrene) to a consistancy compatible with the auto spray gun. The gel is not harmed by thinning with Styrene and will harden just fine. If you have a large area, do NOT add wax to the gelcoat, so you can simply spray on the next coat. Add wax to the gelcoat on the final coat. A bit more catalyst is required when thinning gelcoat, so I suggest a test spray before the first time.

I also found that the small touchup spray guns worked the best, and I ended up using the small gun exclusively. I found the gun the held just the right amount of gel to not worry about the gel hardening in the gun before I could get it all sprayed.

I honestly forget what pressure I would spray at, but if memory serves it was about 35psi. Just make sure all the seals in the gun are good and tight (especially around the tip rod)and the gel will draw just fine.

A final thought: do NOT apply gelcoat in temperatures below 65 degrees. If you do, you will be wiping most of it off with Acetone as it will most likely not cure. If you catalyze the gel so it will harden below 65 degrees, then you will boil the gel and it will most likely harden in the gun within minutes.

A final final thought: When spraying gelcoat, it is best to apply the gelcoat in a overlapping circular motion...sort of like welding. This differs from spraying a car with a side to side overlapping motion. So, this means a more circular pattern out of the gun is preferable to a wide fan pattern. You are trying to build thickness without runs.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2006 at 12:38pm
David, Thanks for the input. I must be spraying larger areas than you! What kind of pot life are you getting? I get my shop and work area up to at least 75 degrees so maybe I'm not catalyizing as much.Pete

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2006 at 12:54pm
I only mix a quantity of gelcoat that I can spray in 30 minutes. After that, I start getting nervous. Then I have to have time to clean the gun Again, I think a quantity that can be held via a normal suction type automotive sprayer can be used, but larger quantities and man I would be a nervous wreck or try to work too fast and make more work for myself later.

The largest area I sprayed was the front half of the port side of my '93 SN...or just in front of the "S" to the tip of the bow.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2006 at 1:29pm
David, Now I remember your post and the repair you did on your 93SN. Nice job,looks great,Pete

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2006 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by David F David F wrote:

I personally recommend automotive type suction feed spray guns...The gelcoat MUST be thinned with Styrene to a consistancy compatible with the auto spray gun...The gel is not harmed by thinning with Styrene and will harden just fine.

Where do you get your gel, wax, and styrene?
Bill
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2006 at 5:16pm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2006 at 7:51am
skibum, U S Composites are good for matching late model CC gel. You may have to buy a gal. if they need to mix a color. Mini-Craft of Florida has a standard line of hundreds of colors as well as matching gel pastes for patching both available in qts. If you are doing the whole boat, then a gal. is the way to go. Pete

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2006 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by David F David F wrote:

When spraying gelcoat, it is best to apply the gelcoat in a overlapping circular motion...sort of like welding... So, this means a more circular pattern out of the gun is preferable to a wide fan pattern. You are trying to build thickness without runs.

Applying gel to the entire boat. Do I spray multiple layers over the entire boat until the desired thickness is obtained ... or do I build a small area, say 24-36 square inches at a time.

Also, when I tape over an area because it will be a different color, once I have sprayed the other color, do I somehow trim off at the union of the two colors - or is there a trick?
Bill
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2006 at 8:12am
Skibum, The entire boat is sprayed with the base color then the accent color is masked and sprayed just like you would do a car or truck. For bild, mutiple lite coats can be sprayed with time between them for the vehicle (solvent) to flash off.

I don't recall you ever posting what year and model boat are you doing?

Keep it original, Pete

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2006 at 9:03am
Pete,

She is an 87 SN. Next week I start the floor/stringer repair. When I finish, I hope to tackle the stress and spider crack repair.

Bill
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2006 at 3:19pm
Skibum, Am I correct that the boat has two colors of gel and then vinyl stripping between the two colors and then the "2001" is in vinyl too? If you can't find OEM vinyl grafics, a sign shop can duplicate it from a tracing of the old. I just picked up some on Friday that I had made for my 77 Tique. It's amazing what they can do by scanning the tracing and then with CAD clean it up and add any colors and borders etc. Pete

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2006 at 9:20pm
You are correct. What do you think about this plan? The base color is some light grey. The main stripe is a blue. The blue is in very good condition. I was thinking about using a dremel tool to carefully trace around the SKI NAUTIQUE and 2001 decals, remove the decals, then remove the remaining gel. Next, I would paint the background of the lettering silver and apply gel with metal flakes into the carved out lettering. The lettering would become an integral part of the boat finish. Then I would grind off only the grey and apply new gel. Once finished, I would wet sand and buff the whole thing, bringing out the origional beauty of the blue, blending the new gel lettering and grey gel.

Is it a great idea or what?
Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2006 at 9:26pm
I have to quantify the clear gel with metal flakes spraying technique. By painting the base silver, it provides the base for the color. Then, I would cook up a batch of clear thick with metal flakes and apply a uniform coat. The remaining coats of gel would be only clear. That way the metal flakes would not be toward the surface. But the flakes would shine through.
Bill
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2006 at 6:04am
Skibum, I think that your idea is "easier said than done". Although recreating the hull grafics in gel rather than vinyl is a sound idea but not original (the purest in me again) I don't think you can rout by hand without some kind of template close enough. You may have a steadier hand than I but I think you should go the vinyl route. Pete

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2006 at 6:43am
Skibum, One thing to keep in mind about "customizing" is that I feel it may not look as good to other people that it does to you. It may even affect it's resale value and it's saleability. This is why I always suggest originality as close to as it was from the factory as posible. There are instances especially on older boats where the materials are no longer available but close matches can be made. I've see some real bad jobs out there that the first thing that comes to peoples minds is "why the @!# did he do that" The worst I think is a 1958 Atom that has been fibergla$$ed and painted. He probably didn't know what he was doing to a cla$$ic wood boat!

It sounds like you have made the decision that the gel is in bad enough shape that it's got to go. When fairing the hull be careful what you use for filling/fairing since gel may not stick to some epoxies. Pete

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2006 at 9:11am
Originally posted by SkiBum SkiBum wrote:

Also, when I tape over an area because it will be a different color, once I have sprayed the other color, do I somehow trim off at the union of the two colors - or is there a trick?

You can apply on color over the next, but you will be left with a ridge or step between the two colors. This step will show through the vinyl stripping.

So, what I did was mask off the line between colors. Sprayed one color then immediately pulled the tape. If you leave the tape until after the gel starts to kick, then it will tear the gel and leave a ragged line. Once the first color cures, wipe with acetone and give it an initial sanding to remove the orange peel. Then tape off the edge and spray the second color next to it. You will most likely not end up with a perfect line, but it will be coplaner and the vinyl will hide it perfectly.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2006 at 4:37pm
Skibum, David F is correct that masking tape will tear the gel line if it is removed after the gel cures BUT I always leave mine on the boat. Since you need to wet sand anyway, you can sand off what gel is on top of the tape untill the tape edge is exposed. This method keeps you from sanding beyond the area into where you don't want to sand plus if you need to give it another coat of gel, you won't need to remask. The tape will come off with a sharp clean gel line. Always use FINE LINE tape. If you are putting vinly over this line, the ridge from the gel can be knocked off with some wet dry. Pete

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2006 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

One thing to keep in mind about "customizing" is that I feel it may not look as good to other people that it does to you. It may even affect it's resale value and it's saleability. This is why I always suggest originality as close to as it was from the factory as posible.

I understand that by deviating from the origional there are many risks. I also realize that it will be very difficult to cut the letters out. All valid arguments against such an endeavor.

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

It sounds like you have made the decision that the gel is in bad enough shape that it's got to go. Pete

The boat suffers from a lot of spider cracks and long stress cracks. I will fix the floor and stringers. I have not yet decided to apply new gel. Previously I planned to patch but there were a number of people who said if there was enough cracking, then just do the whole thing.

I certainly appreciate all of your input. I am much more informed now. Thank you.
Bill
CC Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CC Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2006 at 8:52pm
8122pbrainard where did you get the vinyl for your tique done? I have a 78 tique that I need vinyl for and there is not enough lettering left to make a trace.

Roger
1978 Ski Tique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2006 at 5:42am
CC FAN, You may not have a problem if there isn't enough of the original to trace. You can get some of the tracing off one side and then reverse the paper and get more from the other side? Do you know anyone in your area with the same boat? The more the grafics the CAD operator has to work with the better. I do know they can do wonders with cleaning up and "fudging" in. The tracing does not need to have continuouse lines on it. They will connect the missing areas. It may cost more since more time is required at the computer and you may want to be there when it's being done. Do ask to proof the work before they cut the vinyl. Look for sign shops and/or firms that do grafics for trucks. Where are you? Pete

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 7>
  Share Topic