Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

transmission Wining

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ski_scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski_scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: transmission Wining
    Posted: December-07-2006 at 6:14am
I have a 90 model Ski Nautique. when you put the boat into gear and moving the transmission starts wining loud, any help would be great

Scott
Melbourne Australia
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2006 at 7:23am
what transmission do you have, and does the noise start when your wife is on the boat?
(american humor)
we need to know the model trans though,is it a buzzing noise or a whine, if you can be more specific. thanks
welcome to the site
"the things you own will start to own you"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2006 at 8:38am
Eric is right on the money here. If there is a distinct buzzing sound at idle, that is a documented problem on the early 1.23:1 trannies, and PCM has a fix for it- mine has it installed.

The 1.23 does whine at all speeds though- it sounds very different than a 1:1 Nautique.
ski_scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski_scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2006 at 3:15pm
Thanks

it's a whining sound, i will get the model number over the weekend.

thanks
gn6027 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gn6027 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2006 at 5:17pm
I put an Acme 542 prop on this year, and when the tranny is cold, it 'sings' while in gear. After the tranny is warm, it goes away.

I'm thinking I'm hitting the natural vibration frequency to cause it to 'sing'.

Did you recently change props?
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2006 at 10:35am
Eric; would you like some cheese with that whine????????????????? boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2006 at 3:38pm
Lets get serious, this guy is from outta town and needs some proffesional advice, Boat doc I hear formunda cheese is the state cheese down in La. lol    eric
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2006 at 9:16am
Eric; what the hell is "formunda cheese" All we have down here is yeller and white cheese.Our state ceese is "hogshead" and it is made from, well a hogs head. We don';t waste nuttin............ boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2006 at 4:50pm
Doc, i wasnt being serious on that post... maybe one of these other guys can tell you what fromunda cheese is, after you figure it out you'll understand the post
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2006 at 4:53pm
Fromunda can be yellow or white, and maybe a hint of green (mold). You might have even had it at one point and not known it, hopefully not though.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2006 at 6:36pm
I'm surprised that "fromunda cheese" pa$$es our anti-foul language software BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2006 at 7:37am
If your seeing some green you better call up the doc
ski_scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski_scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2006 at 6:48am
thanks Eric for your help.

Boat DR in Australia and the rest of the english speaking world some words are spelt not the same as in the US EG(wine is the Drink and Whine is a nosie)
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2006 at 12:01pm
Boat Dr is going to be pissed when he finds out what "fromunda cheese" is .
ski_scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski_scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2007 at 7:24pm
Hi Eric,

The model number is a PCM-40a 1.23/1. We have pull the box apart and look like the harding is coming off the two gears at the back of the trans. (the step down gears at the back of the trans)Do you know where I could get ner ones from and how they would be????

I would have to get then shipped out to Australia.

Thanks

Scott
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2007 at 7:46pm
if you like sticker shock I'll tell you where to get new, or I know a guy who has some very good used. welcome to the world of PCM's, those 2 gears are probably more than a new trans.
be careful setting these gears up, if you notice there are shims for rolling torque (critical). Make sure you check at the base of the drum for hairline cracks (look close they are easy to miss, tap it lightly with a hammer and if its cracked you'll hear it, call me tomorow 330-273-8291 and I'll give you the guys name who has those gears, I think his name is Eric too
ski_scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski_scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2007 at 7:50pm
Thanks Will give you a call
ski_scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski_scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2007 at 7:26pm
Hi Eric,

What type of OIL sould I use in that transmission? it's a pcm 40-a 1.23/1 in a 90 S/N
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2007 at 7:38pm
Whats in it now? The very early 1.23's (like mine) came with straight 20w oil. Newer tranny's came with ATF, but I wouldnt switch if its not giving you a problem.
ski_scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski_scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2007 at 7:51pm
it's a early 1.23 with the 20w oil.
ski_scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski_scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2007 at 7:57pm
would any one have a Transmission Manual for the early 1.23 trans
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2007 at 9:18am
yes eric
switch to dexron mercon making sure to clean the 20 wt completely out
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2007 at 9:55am
Eric, any reason to switch if the 20w is working well? I know thats what PCM originally recommended.

Ive got nearly 1200 hrs on my original 1.23, and its had 20w all its life as far as I can tell. Should I also consider switching when I pull the trans this spring?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2007 at 11:20am
From what I've read and seen in the past as with BW's you could use 20 or 30w if you didnt go over 3000 rpms (diesel applications)
they recommend nowadays dexron mercon and if trans is serviced to switch to the same.
I know the transmissions Ive seen in the past with 20w in them the gear faces are starting to flake the facing as it did like ski scotts. a straight 20w oil has no detergents in them in which dexron does and it also has anti foaming agents with it. the viscosity of dexron is approximately like a 10w. I would changeover when you pull the trans as i do with the transmissions i rebuild. The exact reason PCM....zf hurth decided to go to dexron I dont know, but i would guess someone on this site has seen the news flash on thier reasoning
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic