NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

mustang #1 pictures

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2008 at 6:08pm
Gary, I can't find my 1&1/4"OD by 1" ID plastic bushing I use to line up struts with the hull hole and log! It must be buried someplace in the garage. (I need to get Buffalo Greg to come in and clean up my shop/garage for me.) I did find my forstner bit extension and plastic bushing which just has a 3/4" bore instead of the 1". I use it on wood boat bottom jobs when I need to bore a hole in new wood. The strut is bolted down parallel fore and aft and then the new hole is bored using the strut as a guide.

When lining up the strut to the hull hole with a solid bushing and the prop shaft, it takes all the guess work out from the shaft flopping around in the soft rubber cutlass bearing.

Forstner extension and bushing:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2008 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Pete, would there be any harm in using 4200 instead? That would be easier to remove (someday) and still seal as well, correct?

Sorry Tim. I was going to answer and forgot. It's a good question. I have heard a couple people that did have some problems with the 4200. They were adhesion problems and when you loose that, then you have a potential leak. I think there were some complaints about the curing time (the only bad thing !) with the 5200 so 3M came out with the faster cure 4200 sacrificing the strength and adhesion. It still sticks pretty good so if you are going to have a removal challenge then I would go for the higher strength and better adhesion of the 5200. While we are talking strength, I had the Lord adhesive people in on a project the other day. I'm using a acrylic for bonding metal and wanted to go to a shorter cure time. I was told that strength is less on acrylics, epoxies and even polyurethanes with shortened cures. So, if you are at the hardware looking at one of those 5 minute epoxies, consider the hour long type for strength if you can live with the longer cure.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2008 at 8:33pm
Might want to look into Sikaflex instead of the 5200, FYI.

Tim

farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2008 at 8:52pm

Pete,thanks for the tips. I like your forstner bit extension. Question,are you saying that I can bush the through hull hole to 1" and use the prop shaft to align the strut? I had no idea that hole was that accurate. If that's right,I like it.
I will use 5200 to seat and seal the strut and rudder.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2008 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by farmer farmer wrote:

Pete,thanks for the tips. I like your forstner bit extension. Question,are you saying that I can bush the through hull hole to 1" and use the prop shaft to align the strut? I had no idea that hole was that accurate. If that's right,I like it.

No, it's the other way around! Bush the strut (just like my bit extension) and use the prop shaft to align the strut it the center of the hull hole/shaft log.

Tim, why Sikaflex over 5200? I have nothing against the Sikaflex but it sounds like you have some info on it. Better? Why?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2008 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

No, it's the other way around! Bush the strut (just like my bit extension) and use the prop shaft to align the strut it the center of the hull hole/shaft log.

Tim, why Sikaflex over 5200? I have nothing against the Sikaflex but it sounds like you have some info on it. Better? Why?

Sikaflex is just another option. I know their engineer is much easier to get in touch with than anybody at 3M.

I have used Sikaflex:

Lead to fiberglass
steel to fiberglass
aluminum to aluminum on aircraft floats.

Regardless of what you use, use alcohol to clean up your tools, etc.

Tim

farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2008 at 10:58pm

Pete, am I just eyeballing the shaft through the hull hole? Please hang in there,I'm almost out of questions(on this subject anyway)
                          Thanks, Farmer
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2008 at 11:07pm
Eyeball but close is fine though the hole and the shaft log. You have the short section of rubber hose between the log and the packing gland for minor alignment.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2008 at 12:56am

Okay Pete,thanks.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2008 at 9:42am

(I need to get Buffalo Greg to come in and clean up my shop/garage for me.)

Ha! Now there's a good one...and you better check my pockets and the back of my truck at the end of the day?!!?    And I'd like to know what else was going through your head when you wrote that...or maybe not. LOL

I've had some experience with 5200 and 4200. I was planning to use 5200 on everything but the strut. Now I have more to think about.

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2008 at 11:03am
Guys, I was also planning on using 4200 on my strut. (actually already bought it) I checked 3M web page & the main difference between 5200 & 4200 is that 4200 has 1/2 of the tensile strength of 5200. Well, I figured that with the strut clamped mechanically that there was essentially no load on the sealant. Is there any factor (like maybe prop wash) that I am missing?

Chris
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2008 at 11:06am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

(I need to get Buffalo Greg to come in and clean up my shop/garage for me.)

And I'd like to know what else was going through your head when you wrote that...or maybe not. LOL
I've had some experience with 5200 and 4200. I was planning to use 5200 on everything but the strut. Now I have more to think about.

Greg, What was going through my mind was that you are certainly a lot neater than I am! Every picture you post of your garage/shop looks like you just washed the floor! I do try but may not be obsessed enough about it!

It is rare that a strut has to be removed from a boat so I would just go with the 5200 and get the better adhesive qualities. In the older wood boats (even some fiberglass), before the polyurethane adhesive/sealants, I have actually seen the struts come in loose. With that big block, you will be pushing a lot more HP out the tail end than the old boats did! Like I do, worry about removal later. Trust me (I know how you have a tendency to worry and fret) with a little heat or a hot wire, it's not hard.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2008 at 4:40pm

Greg, What was going through my mind was that you are certainly a lot neater than I am! Every picture you post of your garage/shop looks like you just washed the floor!

Pete, thanks but it's not that clean. I did the floor epoxy in the room where the pumpkin is only 2 years ago. It's a great floor covering...hit it with a swiffer and done! Otherwise, I just shove the junk out of the way. I have 3 workbeches covered in projects?!!? LOL

I was wondering about your table saw set-up and the red jig? on the left. Got a bigger pic?

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2008 at 9:07pm
Greg, That's the Freud micrometer adjust router fence for my router lift. The Freud come with a cheap MDF and melamine fence so I modified it with the T slot aluminum. Great for feather boards.
The end of a table saw extension table is a great place for a router lift. Out of the way and very stable.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2008 at 9:26pm
I've seen those and similar in the magazines but haven't used one. My router table is my version of the first one Norm built on his show. Because it's made of wood, it's fully adjustable?!!?

Nice set-up though. I've wanted an extension on my saw for some time. Someday...
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Greg, What was going through my mind was that you are certainly a lot neater than I am! Every picture you post of your garage/shop looks like you just washed the floor!

Pete, thanks but it's not that clean. I did the floor epoxy in the room where the pumpkin is only 2 years ago. It's a great floor covering...hit it with a swiffer and done!

Greg, This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about you being the clean and neat person. You get a swiffer out to dust the floor! In my case, my floor is lucky when I get the fancy horse hair broom out. It's usually the "street" broom and that may be every couple of months. The only exception with my method is when I'm planning on doing some varnishing!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 7:06pm
Pete You just need to get a leaf blower and open the door . It works great .
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by p/allen p/allen wrote:

Pete You just need to get a leaf blower and open the door . It works great .

The swiffer is for the interior room where the pumkin is, but I use Pat's meathod in the shop! Amy won't let me use the blower in the house...
1988 BFN-sold

farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2008 at 12:38am
Believe it or not, I'm finally getting the mustang painted tomorrow.My buddy has a body shop so we're doing it there.It's going to be base coat clear coat on the sides with a white non-ablative bottom paint for below the waterline. It's an epoxy bottom paint in white with teflon. Supposed to be good for trailered power boats.I'll post some pictures tomorrow.
Watch your fingers.

farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2008 at 10:22pm

My prep work left a lot to be desired but at least it's white again.We were supposed to do a white hard epoxy bottom paint in the booth but I found out tonight that because of the teflon in the paint,the booth is out. He said it will contaminate the booth and equipment that we use. So now it's my garage if I can get enough room in there to maneuver.
By the way,the pictures make it look better than in person. I'm hoping the lettering and stripes will hide some of the wavy spots.
Watch your fingers.

farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2008 at 1:28pm

We finished the last coat of bottom paint this morning. It was a tight fit in my garage with my flatbed trailer but it's done. I know many of you don't like bottom paint but I felt I needed the added security against blistering the bottom again, This epoxy bottom with the hard bottom paint should stay good for a lomg time to come. I should be ready to flip it back over next weekend. I have to hunt down the parts to my "one man boat flipping setup" during the week. Farmer

Watch your fingers.

farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 11:12pm

I'm surprised no one has anything to say about my choice of finish for this hull. Anyway, I'll be flipping it back right side up tomorrow if it's not raining too hard.I can't believe it's taken this long!!I really need to get my act together and do this.Next step is to replace the stringers and floor.
I'm going to try something a little different with the stringers but I'll wait until I get some pictures before I share.
Watch your fingers.

farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2009 at 8:50pm
Well I finally got around to the stringers on this boat.A couple of things have me confused.I cut just the top of the fiberglass encasing the stringers expecting to have to dig out the wood.But when it was all removed,the stringers lifted out in one piece.Is that right?I thought they were fiberglassed in and attached to the hull.I don't know if they were replaced before.
I also was looking for the post about the proper orientation of the grain in the stringers.If these were replaced at one time they may not have the grain running the right way. Here are some pictures.

They look original to me but I don't know for sure.I also noticed that the angle on the bottom of the sringers remained constant even though the angle of the hull flattens out at the back near the transom. Gary
Watch your fingers.

farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2009 at 9:37pm

OK.Got the grain direction but still don't know about the angle and attachment to the hull.
Watch your fingers.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2009 at 10:43pm

the stringers lifted out in one piece.Is that right?

Nope, that won't work! As I have learned from this site, a big part of using d fir is for the adhesion. My old stringers had to be scraped to be burned. The old glass was still stuck on good after 20 years...even in the rotten spots!
1988 BFN-sold

farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 9:27am
so I guess this was the result of a poor repair at some point.There were no stress cracks evident when I did the hull bottom but I didn't think the stringers should have been floating inside the fiberglass either.
Watch your fingers.

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 11:43am
I am going to say that I do not think adhesion between the wood and fiberglass is all that important. Here's why:

The wood stringer serves two main purposes:
1. Solid mount for the engine.
2. Form for the fiberglass surrounding the stringers.

It is the fiberglass around the stringers that provides the rigidity for the hull. This is evident in all the boats running around with rotten stringers...without hull failure. I will even go so far as to say you do not even need the stringers or fiberglass around the stringers for hull integrity. But, the hull would then oil can terribly and you would get stress fractures eventually.

So, IMHO do not worry about adhesion. But in the photos above, I certainly would remove all the old fiberglass that was around the stringers and start new from the hull up. Don't worry too much about evenly the wood stringer rests on the hull, you can always fill the voids with thickened epoxy (epoxy resin and saw dust works well). Shoot getting the stringers out in one piece like you did means you had a few years left
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 12:40pm
David,
I have to agree with Greg on the glass needing to be bonded to the wood stringers. Yes, the glass surrounding the wood gives the hull rigidity but this glass being a thin cross section needs to maitained in the vertical position. The wood does this besides adding to the rididity of the hull. If the glass isn't kept in the vertical and allowed to fold then all it's strength is lost. It's like a wood roof truss - if the purlins don't maintain the truss in the vertical plane then it folds and collapses.

Gary,
I think somewhere in the life of your Mustang, a PO did a quick and dirty repair!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 12:55pm
It won't fold or collapse. The wood is there is resist in one direction or the other and the sides are connected together topa and bottom. Again, the hull does not even need the stringers for rigidity along its length as the sides of the hull prevent bending. So, no real bending flexing loads on the stringers anyway. Think about it, have you ever heard of a boat bending or breaking in half due to rotten stringers...I bet you have not. And certainly, the fiberglass is not bonded to rotton stringers. Aint gonna happen.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by David F David F wrote:

And certainly, the fiberglass is not bonded to rotton stringers.

David, please don't take this the wrong way because I've learned a good bit from your posts.

I will say that I had to use a hammer and cold chisel to get the old glass off of my old stringers. They were rotten in places and only wet in others.

The other thing I can say is that since I did my stringer job, the boat doesn't sit on the trailer like a heavy wet sponge. It's pretty darn rigid and the ride is evident. To compare, I'd use an old used car with a rattling dash board and doors that don't close right. The ride I have now is stong and sure if that makes sense.
1988 BFN-sold

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic