NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ford H/M guru’s

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
vrod02 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vrod02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ford H/M guru’s
    Posted: December-17-2006 at 9:05pm
Just joined,non correctcraft owner,but share a interest. Holman Moody!
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2006 at 8:48am
vrod, What time today can I pick those up?
ReidP
1973 Mustang

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2006 at 5:04pm
Vrod are these for sale............boat dr
vrod02 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vrod02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2006 at 6:54pm
These are unobtainable in there shape, no corrosion,salt water free.. Restoring a twin 19 h/m allmand. Took me 4 years to aquire. I'd sell but i dont think you want to know what there worth!I need two sets of exh. so cant let one go without the other,then I need two sets of aftermarket.S.m block fords dont have many alt. Sorry if I got you guys worked up.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2006 at 11:30pm
Reid: Whatever hapened with the H/M boat I stopped to look at down here for you?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2006 at 7:34am
v-rod... that was a twisted form of foreplay, I know you really got the boat doc worked up on that one. eric
what really would've worked them up is if you posted "scrapped for aluminum"
"the things you own will start to own you"
vrod02 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vrod02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2006 at 8:34am
Now that would have been funny! I do have a set of glenwoods alum for 289-351 if anybody int. Mercruiser sent me over here sayed there was alot of h/m stuff.
vrod02 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vrod02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2006 at 5:32pm
update for a drool!You guys crack me up! Skier would have to have ear plugs to run behind these! thru transom risers.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2006 at 9:40pm
jbear,
I'm stuck on the fence on the 70 Nautique. Once you confirmed it as a 302 H/M and not a 351, I lost just a bit of interest.

vrod, rest a$$ured that most folks on this site know what these manifolds are worth. I've got an extra two sets in need of some tig patch work I've been holding on to, and will probably be buried with them.

Regarding Holman Moody engines in general, I'm certainly one of the very biggest H/M fans and living in the vicinity of their origin and home base of Charlotte, we still hear a bit about them. There are however, a handfull of misconceptions that abound in regards to the engines that they provided to the OEM boat builders. Number one and foremost as much as it pains me, these were NOT special race engines and were simply a marinization pkg added to the longblock provided by Ford, typically using the same components as those Ford engines sold by Interceptor and MerCruiser of the earliest days, and later PCM and Wakesha(sp), etc.. BUT, during the late 60's and very early 70's, HM did offer the high comp auto-spec versions of those Ford base engines, namely in our cases the 235HP 302s and 290HP 351s. Guys check your bellhousing mounted I.D. tags which typically listed the comp ratio, which ranged from 10-10.5:1 on the earliest 4V 289-302s and 10.7 on the 4V 351s. After 1970-71 you'll see CRs listed as 9.5:1 or less or not even listed at all. Even in later engines when the CR dropped in line with the other OEMs, H/M still used the 235 and 290 model designations, although HP listed in the manuals was a bit less. But I'm not attempting to burst bubbles as again I'm the No 1 fan. What to me was more important and unique was/is: These neat alum header-style exhausts, alum bellhousings with rear engine mounts attached to them instead of the trans, allowing you to drop the trans without having to support and realign the engine (huge), crank-driven H2O pump, double belted pulleys on later models, and don't forget the factory chrome valve covers on nearly every one I've ever seen. Strangely though, while they were considered to be the hot ticket upgrade, every price sheet I've seen listed the H/M as being less costly than either a Chrysler, Palmer, OMC, etc. If you wanted to purchase an aftermarket engine directly from H/M you could do so, and get anything you wanted. They indeed were in the business to sell horsepower, racing and speed, and I've got a brochure from '68+/- which shows big blocks to 700HP. That's all I know.          
ReidP
1973 Mustang

vrod02 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vrod02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2006 at 10:29pm
Ah someone that knows something! very good Reid. Do you know Dave Hollyfield? He's in your area and worked for H/m in this great period.He also has a boat for sale like mine single screw. My boat came with Twin 275 H.P. 302's on a 19ft/8ft beam boat. Yep already talked to Lee, it happened.From what Dave has sayed on Donzi and NMX, H/M were average but coin in your pocket could bring nice things!Just glad I could find the original exhaust to finish her. BLAP!!!X2. Nmx also has a H/m member with a 400 hp/volvo that doesn't exist! from donzi, Lee says different.I like this site and eve though i dont own a a c.c. or Naut. we have things in common. The Glenwoods I have are perfect and I'll let them go for 2.
heres and old pic of my boat/tear down
vrod02 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vrod02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2006 at 10:41pm
Regardless of The hp these are loud, that was my pointwith the skier comment! I'll stop bye from time to time and heres where I'm at www.nmxtreme.com
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2006 at 11:21pm
and they're pretty when all cleaned up
Tim D
vrod02 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vrod02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2006 at 11:40pm
Nice tim!!!! Love those old vdrives!!! I'm stealin this pic for my site!
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2006 at 12:15am
Not my boat, this one beat me in a boat show, cleanest engine. He had two boats, they both looked liked they had never been used, not one scratch, chip, or crack to be found. My mustang has an interceptor, not as pretty and a darker blue.

Here's a pic of the other boat of his also a hm. Both were 71 models.

Tim D
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2006 at 8:20am
Reid,

Here's is pic of my old 71 Mastercraft, 302 H/M. Came with H/M Black/aluminum valve covers instead of the chrome,looked awesome.

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2006 at 6:18pm
Nice one Alan. I've got a H/M parts book/multi-year manual I picked up which shows those vc's as an upgrade/option, and they're shown on the engine on the cover or inside of my engine manual. And if anyone's interested I believe they still offer the natural finish alum finned ones in their catelog found online. Back in their heyday around 66-71, they advertised a marine version of just about every Ford engine made at the time, i.e., 289,302,351,390,427,428,429,429Boss,460, and probably some I missed. I'll try to get this book to Keith to post in the REF SECT, but here's one page that might help if anyone is having a problem I.D.ing their engine.

ReidP
1973 Mustang

vrod02 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vrod02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2007 at 9:49am
Well looky here Fellow nmx member found them!Thought of you guys.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Holman-Moody-Marine-Exhaust-Manifolds-small-Ford_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ31285QQihZ009QQitemZ190069271109QQrdZ1
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2007 at 7:03pm
This has cleared up some of my questions about HM.When I wrote Correct Craft they told me that motor numbers were not recorded and no info as to why you would get a HM or an Interceptor etc in your boat.After looking at Reids serial number chart,I think my block may have changed or least been bored to 302 before I went 30 over,since the tag starts with a B8HM.I also agree about some of them not being a special race engine,but it is impressive to see Hollman Moody Marine on those parts.My tag states 9.3 cr and 2V carb.I have replaced the 2bbl Ford carb with a 4bbl Holley and the starting and driveabilty has been greatly improved.I also have a Crane cam with an intake duration of 260 with 456 lift at the valve,exhaust is 272 and 484 lift.
I have just ordered the owners and parts manuals from here,http://www.marineengine.com/manuals/holmanmoody/index.html and will let everyone know if they are any good.
Here is a couple more pictures of my engine, do you think these are the original valve covers? I thought that someone had changed them because they liked chrome.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2007 at 7:06pm
I see these pictures are too small,lets try this-
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l119/garys_01/Dcp_0678.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l119/garys_01/Dcp_0667.jpg
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2007 at 10:58pm
Gary, nice lookin engine! Your engine definitely started life off the HM a$$embly line as a 289 as you've noted. The 289 and 302 shared the same 4.00 bore and use the same pistons with the 302 having a slightly longer stroke. Check the casting number on your block and if it starts with a C5,C6,or C7, then it's definitely a 289 block. If it starts with a C8 then it's a 302. 302s debuted in '68 in cars, but 289s were carried over in boats a year or two. The C represents the 60s decade and the number represented the year within decade.

I'm sure that cam woke it up also. Have fun.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

vrod02 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vrod02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2007 at 8:20pm
16 hours. tick tock
67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2007 at 2:31pm
reid,

man your the freakin boat guru.......

you da man!

hows the rebuild going on the 390 Cala$$ic?

Paul,
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2007 at 5:09pm
Thanks Paul. The 390 is unfortunately still stuck firmly to the stringers. Your rebuild schedule is making me look bad. I'll use your inquiry as motivation.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

vrod02 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vrod02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2007 at 9:25pm
Went cheap 350
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic