Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Electronic Ign. & Lead Additive?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electronic Ign. & Lead Additive?
    Posted: June-18-2004 at 9:45pm
Couple of questions for all you nautique gurus:

#1 I've always put lead additive in w/ the gas. Does everyone w/ older engines do this?

#2 Has anyone updated from points/condensor with the electronic Conversition Kit? Pros/Cons?
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2004 at 5:36pm
I When I had my engine rebuilt I had the valves seats replaced to allow for the running of Unleaded gas. I don't know about your engine. As for the electronic Ign I put a pertronics module in my 66 and it's been totally problem free for the last 100 hours.I would highly reccommend this upgrade
ricktrav View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricktrav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2004 at 6:23pm
i put an electronic ignition in my 88sn and was ready for the 100hr tune up took out the plugs and they looke bran-new. love it
yellowdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2004 at 5:37pm
One of the guys on the planetnautique site contacted PCM and was told that for the 351 engines you could tell by the spark plugs. Apparently if you have the smaller (newer) style plug, the heads are set up for no lead gas. This should get you there: leaded gas.

The 351W in the '78 came with these type heads and as far as I know, it has always been run on low- or no-lead gas. No problems so far.

If you have another flavor engine, try contacting the manufacturer, maybe they did the same??
Caretaker of the wife's '78 Ski Nautique
'78 Ski Tique View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote '78 Ski Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2004 at 9:17pm
My 78 Ski Tique and my father's 82 Ski Tique both use unleaded gas, we have not had any problems, but if anyone can advise us on whether or not we should be using lead additive it would be a great help. Thanks
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2004 at 5:53pm
I had been using an additive for years in my '89 just to play it safe. After recently seeing posts about not needing it, I contacted PCM directly. Here is the response I got from PCM.

E-mail reply from PCM 7/7/2004:

Your do not need to use a lead additive if you have 5/8" spark plugs.   

Debra Southerland
Pleasurecraft Engine Group
Warranty/Customer Service
Phone: 803-345-1337 ext 107
Fax: 800-321-3797

If you are still unsure, contact PCM directly. They are very quick to reply.

JHadji View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JHadji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2006 at 1:17pm
Two local CC mechanics told me unleaded was okay in my '88 SN2001 (351w). The O&M manual still has a note to add lead substitute, but apparently PCM was a little slow in updating their manuals. I still use it every other tank (and when it's on sale).

I'm about to install a new electronic conversion kit, high-voltage coil and new wires. Has anyone tried AAAMarine's stuff ?

Are they all the same?
rmcdonald View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2006 at 1:39pm
Hi Guys
One of the things that lead in gas did appart from increase the Octane level was to give some lubrication to the valve seats.
Below is some info.

Valve seat recession is the wearing down of the exhaust valve closing surfaces in the engine by abrasion and corrosion. Excessive wear can result in the loss of compression, power, fuel efficiency and engine performance.

With leaded petrol, lead protected valve seats against wear.

I run my Chrysler 383 on Premium unleaded and add AVSR Additive like Valve Master.

The Premium unleaded gives me the desired octane rating

Anti Valve Seat Ression Additive stops the damage to my valve seats.

you need to be sure of the valve seats in your heads before running with out it

Regards
Rob
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2006 at 4:14pm
to each their own your free to waiste your cash anyway you see fit.
great78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote great78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2006 at 7:22pm
I believe I read the lubricity issue was solved with other additives by the refiners so no need to add lead.
JHadji View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JHadji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2006 at 9:26pm
Yeah, I can't argue with 79. Women fall for the fancy shampoo or face cream of suspect gain. I fall for lead substitute.
1988SkiNautique2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2006 at 9:47pm
nice one john, maybe brownie can use that next year at GL
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2006 at 11:13pm
The way I look at it, lead substitue doesn't mean that much to me and my engine. My nautique was built in 1984. The sticker on the valve cover says to use lead or low-lead fuel. In Texas they stopped selling leaded gas around 1990. I know the boat has had at least two other owners. The previous owner said the guy he bought it from had the engine rebuilt. If it was in fact rebuilt, I don't know if it was a complete overhaul or just a valve job. If the valves were done, I don't know if they used hardend seats. But...
I'm fairly certain a fair amount of unlead gas was run through it since 1990. In the three years I've owned it, I've never used lead substitute.
I change the oil about every four or five months (I live on the lake so it gets a lot of use). My compression runs 90-100 psi. The oil pressure isn't what it once was.
When it's time, I'll put GT-40 heads on, put in a new cam, replace the oil pump with a Melling High Volume Pump and check the wear on the rings/cylinders/bearings. Maybe bore it out
Lead substitue is the least of my concerns.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2006 at 11:18pm
By the way, the electronic ignition is a great $100 upgrade. I never learned to adjust points and I'm too old to start.

The only reason I wouldn't do the upgrade is if I went with a new electronic distributor. Which is IMHO a good upgrade aswell.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2006 at 8:13am
nauti84,

I installed the electronic upgrade kit this past winter. I think it's well worth the $100. Between that upgrade and a full tune up my boat starts instantly every time and runs up to 4800 RPM without missing a beat.

Subsquent tuneups will be a piece of cake too, cap , rotor, plugs go ..
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2006 at 12:54pm
Nauti- I had to use lead substitue in my '65- If I forgot to add it, the motor would tell me..
Had a '51 Ford pickup with a flat head V-8, same thing- needed the lead.

It's all about the valve seats- hardened or not is how you know whether or not you need it.

As for the '86- straigt out of the pump- into the tank with no additive.
Thanks for asking about the ign upgrade- have been condidering that too.
-Brad
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2006 at 2:06pm
Wow this is an old thread from 04 that pop'd up again.
Anyways - I did do the electronic ignition a couple of years ago and it was great!
I've always used the lead additive & I guess I always will - Cheap Insurance policy.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2006 at 2:22pm
But nowadays, it appears your better off putting additive in your oil, not the gas.

As has been substantiated by the factory, your 84 doesn't need lead or subtitute.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2006 at 6:32pm
agree on the 84 kinda a waste now if it was a 77 or older then ya you should unless the heads have been replaced then you wouldn't need to.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic