NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thoughts on "Originality" of old boats

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2007 at 11:01am
There is even a Mustang in the diary section that the transom looks like you could mount an I/O in it.Vents and scoops seem to be put on anywhere on them, so I believe if you like the boat go for it.It also seems many deck configurations have also been used,lower horsepower,more plain decks.Mine has a wood motorbox which I think was because of the motor,why build a special mold for fibergla$$ when not many boats came with that motor.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
63CCSN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63CCSN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2007 at 1:39pm
Hi,

I would say that if you have a very early Fibergla$$ CC you should go as orginal as you can. There just aren't that many around like that. I woul say that upgrades should be based on safety or reliable performance only.

For example I am working on a 63 Ski Nautique, with a 312 interceptor. It had the side draft carbs on it, and they flood very easily. So I will be putting a 4 barrel intake and modern Holly carb on it. This will require a slightly higher motor box. Other than that she will be stock when she is finished.

That's just my $0.02.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2007 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

I'm guessing it's the slightly smaller version of the 90+ dash used in the 89 SN and/or the sport nautiques.

Youre absolutely right. I visited an '88 today and it had the same dash as SkiBum's pictured above. '89 would have been the same.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2007 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Correct Craft did not have alot of consistency in the early years especially on purchased hardware. I have seen ether 2 or 4 step pads and 3 different styles on the same year and model. Flat gla$$ windshields or the old curved plexi on the last run of the 60's hulls. Upholstered and plain fibergla$$ motor boxes. Coaming crash pads or none to name a few.

In the 1966 brochure, the Wildcat on the cover has a curved windshield. Inside the brochure, it has a square windshield. I have a friend that has a 1966 Wildcat that he bought new and it has the curved one. Later models seem to have the square one.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2007 at 4:14pm
63csn, You may have missed my post in the "how fast is fast" thread regarding the 312 with the Carter side drafts in my Dunphy X55. I mentioned the setting of the float levels not per the instructions that come with the rebuild kit. I rebuilt the side draft carbs when I bought it and never had a problem with them in the 26 years of owning the boat. I encourage you stay original just as you have recomended in your post.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2007 at 4:55pm
Pete,

I was kind of thinking that for the guys who like to restore the old ones, part of the fun is making "oudated" technology work well. Seems likes there's bragging rights in saying "I made the side drafts work perfectly." BKH
Livin' the Dream

65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2007 at 7:24pm
I painted the topsides white, added a stereo and a swim platform to mine, but kept every thing else as original as I could. The stereo is mounted under the dash, not through it. The swim platform just adds a lot of function to the boat, I'm adding a bilge blower this winter, which will add a couple of clam shell vents to the stern that were not there in '65 but there is so much hardware back there now it won't matter.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2007 at 7:36pm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2007 at 8:26pm
Brian, I just got back from a Blackhawk chapter ACBS outing to see the progress of the restoration progress of a 1898 85' lake Geneva "lake" launch. It had been converted from steam to the present engine which is a 1200 C.I. 6 cly. Lathrop. Talk about making "outdated" work, the restorer has had to have a pattern made and is having the cylinders re-cast. (they are individual cylinders) Yes, part of the fun is to make the old work. In the case of the Carter AF side drafts I think they were a great idea and save probably 6" in engine height. They have performed flawlessly for me on a boat that stock does 64.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2007 at 8:48pm
Hey Pete,

Have you ever visited the Sierra Boat Company in Lake Tahoe? They do some great work retoring old cla$$ics. Not only the woodwork, but they are known for putting back together original engines. As you mentioned, quite an effort when you have to make the parts. BKH
Livin' the Dream

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2007 at 10:42pm
Brian: Nice thread, very interesting.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2007 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

That's a short hull Barracuda.
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2007 at 9:13pm
My thoughts are: It's "old" versus "cla$$ic"

What defines a cla$$ic.? Is it the age of the vessel.? Is it the model.? Is it rare.?

My thoughts are that there has to be something particular about either a specific boat, or about that model boat.

I'll use cars to explain my analogy. (I'm using my limied knowledge of US cars here, so forgive me it I stuff it up.)
Take two 1962 Chevs in factory original condition. One is a belair with the 289, the other a bubble top with the 409.

Now both are worth something, but the belair is simply a nice old car. It is the bubble top that is the cla$$ic because it was a special production of limited numbers etc.

If the same two cars were being restored, you could get away with modifying the belair, but modifications to the bubble top will detract from its original significance.

Now compare that to a mid 80's Chev Eldarado. It could be the most factory condition eldarado in the world, but at the end of the day, what is special about it.? Is it worth anything.?

Getting back to boats, I have a 98 SN. If it's still around in 2048, will it become cla$$ic.? I doubt it, because there is nothing special about it.

In my opinion, cla$$ic correct crafts are boats that were factory specials that were different from the standard production model. Made from special materials, ie wood. Or even if there are very few of a particular model left.

These types of vessels "should" (IMO) be restored to factory "like" specs to keep the heritage going. I also believe the factory should actively encourage this for their heritage sake.

For anything else, do what you like. It won't overly effect the value of the boat. The main reason I see for modification is to cater for your needs.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2007 at 10:55pm
well put chopper
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2007 at 11:38pm
Hi Chopper,

While I don't disagree with you, your post made me wonder what the group thinks about these two situations:

Say that run-of-the-mill 1962 belair was the first one off the a$$embly line - is it still simply a nice old car?

Say the run-of-the-mill 1962 belair you have is the last one left - is it still simply a nice old car?

What if one day your great-grandchild discovers your old 98 SN is the last one left?

No value judgement about what anyone does with what they own, just curious.
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 5:49am
Brian, Sierra boat is someplace I want to go to someday since I have heard everthing about it. We do have some good old boat shops here in the midwest too but not as famous. Of coarse I would not want to go to any of them without any money since I know I would need to buy something!!

69, I agree since some of the older "cla$$ics" are already in short supply. Drawing the line at what is "cla$$ic" remains the problem and is complicated with personal taste.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by 69 Mustang 69 Mustang wrote:

Hi Chopper,

While I don't disagree with you, your post made me wonder what the group thinks about these two situations:

Say that run-of-the-mill 1962 belair was the first one off the a$$embly line - is it still simply a nice old car?

Say the run-of-the-mill 1962 belair you have is the last one left - is it still simply a nice old car?

What if one day your great-grandchild discovers your old 98 SN is the last one left?

No value judgement about what anyone does with what they own, just curious.

G'day 69,
If you had the 1st made, or the last left in existance of anything, then, indeed it would be a special thing.

I just used cars as an example as there make more cars than boats, which means there are more "specials" around. That also means that would be much less boat "specials" made.

Personaly I would draw the line in the sand and say that anything prior to the "2001" hull (1982?) possibly even a little further back (mid 70's) could be considered cla$$ic.

From the "2001" onwards they seem to be typical production line boats where the customer ticks the option box, & that's all they made. I know they made a Silver Nautique" which was a special, but that's about it.

Just my thoughts.
67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 9:11am
At one point i thought of putting a tower on mine.......but.....just couldn't do it.....i must have been drunk at the time

Keep it original!!!! that's my Vote.
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 10:47am
312, Great looking boat. Fill me in on the coaming under the engine hatch. Did CC put it in to raise the hatch so a downdraft carb would fit under it or was it added at a later date? I have the 312 with the Carter side drafts and am aware that Interceptor made the engine with a downdraft but don't know which was used by CC in 67.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 11:39am
What does a long hull Barracuda look like? I thought they all had basically the same hull and deck from 65 to 70.

Also, is the Barracuda hull identical to the cla$$ic? looks like CC just removed the divider behind the front seat to make the Barracuda.
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 12:21pm
Hey Paul (67nautique312)

I hear you about being drunk when you thought about putting on a tower, but weren't you probably drunk when you decided not to as well?
Greg

86 BFN
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by 70CC 70CC wrote:

What does a long hull Barracuda look like? I thought they all had basically the same hull and deck from 65 to 70.

Also, is the Barracuda hull identical to the cla$$ic? looks like CC just removed the divider behind the front seat to make the Barracuda.

I think the cla$$ic is identical to the Barracuda. On the 2 Barracuda's, the deck is different, the hull is probably the same. It is wider. Instead of being pretty flat right out to the sheer rail, it goes out and angles down and extends farther out from the hull. I learned this from owning a 67 Barracida years ago and ordering a cover from the factory and being asked which hull we had.
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 12:33pm
I like to keep any that I own as original as possible depending on what kind of shape the boat is in when I get it. I have seen some nice custom work done on these boats as well.
I have also seen some that when I look at them I think .... look what some idiot did ???

Nautique Frk
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 12:38pm
If the boat's is in decent original condition, it ought to be kept that way. If it's so bad that everything has to be replaced, than it may not be practical to restore it to original condition. Some mods just aren't right though, like cutting holes in the dash or deck for stereos or cup holders.

nautiquefanatic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquefanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 12:50pm
It only takes a few seconds to see in the diaries section that I like my boats as original as possible. There is a reason for that......I love these boats as they were built. Don't get me wrong, I do have my preferences and I currently own exactly what I like. It only takes a few minutes to "customize" something, but may take years to put it back original if you or anyone else ever wanted to. True, as I have used and enjoyed these boats over my lifetime, there are changes that could have been made to make the boats more "comfortable", or pa$$enger friendly. But one must remember that the boats that I personally like are the Ski Nautique, Barefoot Nautique, and Ski Tique......and these were designed and built for one reason........TO PULL SKIERS. No drink holders, no coolers, no radio, basically no B.S. to get in the way. I like it like that, just a personal thing. I don't think there is anything wrong with working on the engines.....stronger, more h.p., etc.....I need to do more of these upgrades myself. Not a single one of my boats have a drink holder, a built in cooler, or a radio. I prefer to either listen to the sound of the engine exhaust or the gentle slapping of water against the hull while sitting still with engine off.

I will have to say that I prefer ORIGINAL! Just my personal preference.

nautiquefanatic
67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 3:58pm
Ok here we go.......

1)Changed paint

2)motor is no longer original(8122 I removed the side drafts and installed a Blue thunder intake,portmatched and ported and pollished intake and exhaust valves,Also all new coil and elec. ignition instead of points.) I did keep all original parts to the motor.see first pic.

3)Motor cover is off of an early mustang of same era......I needed it for clearance and also had to add a base plate for extra clearance as seen in picture.see pic. #2

4)Also the correct craft emblems on back sides of boat i only had one on one side so..... i filled the holes and moved it to the back of the boat in the middle.see pic. #3

5)Added speakers and stereo system amps ect. ect.

So i guess that mine is really far from original but close enough and serves the puposses that i need and still have that cla$$ic boat feel. The good thing about it is that i still have all the original parts to put it back if i needed to.

Really this is what the end result is for me......to have Fun while i can!see pic. #4

I still want to add a swim plattform to it?

If i could get my hands on an old barracuda SS i think i would make it all original this time.
8122....here is a pic. also of the motor if you want to see it?

1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
Dtaylor373 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dtaylor373 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 4:57pm
360 Hours bought from the orginal owner 3 months ago. Been detailed out, and seats redone. Engine cover is orginal, owner bought a new one from Correct Craft in 79 after he did damage to the one in the boat, got it when I bought the boat, he had never put it on.
www.dtaylor373.zoomshare.com

David T
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by bkhallpa$$ bkhallpa$$ wrote:

but have no problem adding some modern conveniences like cupholders, or a powerful stereo.

guys that tweak the 82-89 Nautiques.

Just curious what view some of the rest of you take? BKH
stereos and cupholders rock!

Originally posted by MaddMarxx MaddMarxx wrote:

as long as its done in good taste mods are cool.
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 10:49pm
[
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 11:13pm
That ride looks awsome.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic