NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How about Virginia Tech?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How about Virginia Tech?
    Posted: January-14-2007 at 11:21am
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

OK. Now can we please direct our attention towards college basketball. I was just about to tout my Tarheels but it's been extremely well documented these last few days that being Ranked No 1 is not the place to be, in either sport.    

Well said, ReidP. VT still undefeated in the ACC!
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2007 at 1:56pm
Go Gators...
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2007 at 3:37pm
Pitchers and catchers report next month--in the mean time . . . .

Rock Chock Jhawks!

Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2007 at 9:01pm
When is the last time a conference team beat Duke and North cCarolina in the same week?
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2007 at 9:33pm
Lake: You are right on! Soon we can get started on the only sport! Baseball!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2007 at 9:44pm
Dropping like flies. Clemson got knocked off too, so no more undefeated. The Hokies ain't hokey.

Baseball is for outboard owners.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2007 at 10:39pm
Reid,

I gotta think a North Carolina guy like you would have enjoyed one of the best baseball movies of all time "Bull Durham?"

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 9:56am
Hey jbear............Baseball is a sport? don't get me started
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 7:22pm
OK, I really do like baseball. I'm just programmed to contradict anything jbear says. Heck, the Tar Heels were just in the college world series last year. And Bull Durham was good.

When I was a kid I was a catcher and boy was I bad. The only time I was a part of actually picking off a base stealer was when I threw it completely over second base to our center fielder who WAS good and he promptly threw the runner out at third. I told everyone it was planned that way. That's a sad but true story.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 10:13pm
Tim: I know I don't have to remind a smart guy like you that they were playing Baseball way before fat guys started running into each other calling it a sport.

I can take being contradicted by a person of ReidP's stature.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 8:03am
Ahhhhh; john, but its the hitting and pushing and shoving that makes it so great.You mean to tell me that you don't like to see a whole lot of smashmouth going on andI'm not talking with their tongue's. Everyone plays at once not one at a time like baseball. Besides they are a bunch of OVERPAID,ARROGANT,CRYBABY men playing a kids game.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 9:03am
In the "For Love of the Game" (a decent baseball movie) starring Kevin Costner, there is a conversation where Costner's character says to the owner of the team something like this: "Money won't ruin the game; it's still a great game."

I agree Morfoot that the dollars are way out of line, as they are in all the sports. There are a lot of people who should get paid more than ball players. A whole bunch of the players come across to me as arrogant, but there are still many who play the game because of the game.

I like football a lot, collage basketball is great, but baseball is a story, a drama that unfolds over a season, and part of that drama involves the matchup of pitcher and batter. It's the only sport where defense starts the play.

OK, enough of that, it's the game that my dad first took me to and that I first took my boys to. I've spent hours at Kaufman stadium before and after games because my kids wanted to meet the players, and most of players were great, giving autographs, even having conversatons.

Perfect day? Take the kids skiing in the afternoon, and go to the ballpark at night.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 10:21am
As a former MLB fan I too couldn't wait for the season to start. Hank Aaron, Phil Neikro, Dale Murphy, Pete Rose, Johnny Bench, Ozzie Smith were my hero's. They were the last of a dying breed where a player (most of the time) finished and started his career with the same team. ( Murphy belongs in the Hall of Fame). I was a player of little league, sand lot ball all summer long. Went to games all the time and even a NLCS ( braves vs. pirates) 1994 did me in as a fan forever as a the almighty $$$$$$$ came into play and changed this fan outlook on it forever. To make that much money to play a kids game and to charge $30 or more to see it is OUT OF CONTROL. The fans are the ones who suffer. $20 to park. $120 for tix. $12 for freaking hot dogs. $6 for one cold brew. $9.00 for 3 cokes. Thanks but no thanks I'd rather put that kind of money in gas for the boatand have a better time.................

Okay sorry bout that guy's. I'm off my soapbox!!!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 11:13pm
Tim; Money has surely ruined all sports not just baseball. The constant hot-dogging and woofing and posturing in football has turned me off. I was a Browns season ticket holder for all the 80's.....Sipe and Kosar era. But when they left town...that was it.

I know that as a fan in the past, as I can tell from your post, you must realize that Baseball is surely not a game of "standing around"....maybe on tv where you only see what the camera sees but at the park there is so much going on on the field between each pitch that it is hard to follow it all. But the best part is...no time clock and the defense must give up the means for the offense to score, by pitching the ball.

Best part of this site: we can agree to disagree.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic