NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Competition Skiers

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Competition Skiers
    Posted: January-15-2007 at 6:39pm
I wonder how many of you guys were/are competition skiers?

For me, I just grew up with my dad and brother skiing on weekends behind either a ba$$ boat or a runabout. It seems like alot of you guys grew up behind CC's.

The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 6:57pm
Great questions, I'd like to hear a lot of answers. I started skiing at 4, slaloming at 6, but all my skiing has been recreational. The lake where we boat at now has a ski course, so my youngest and I have been skiing it the past couple of summers. We're not very good at it, but it's been a great way to better enjoy our time together. He prefers wake boarding now.

Still the flatest wake I've skied behind was a 1970 16' Chrysler Fury with an 85 Johnson. My dad still has that boat. Even though our old Nautique puts out a bigger wake it's pretty cool to ski behind.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 7:08pm
Chuck, its good to see you pa$$ing the torch to your son, I guess skiing has evovled into wakeboarding and we probably would have prefered that too, in the day

eric
"the things you own will start to own you"
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 7:13pm
I also started at around age 4. I learned to start right out of deep water with my dad in the water with me. I still have the little Cypress Gardens skis that my brother and I learned on. We both later learned to kneeboard and slalom. We stopped skiing for awhile around the time the Skurfer came out. We did have a couple of those old skurfers, but stop skiing and kind of missed the wakeboard era. We never did learn to barefoot. That is my goat this summer.

I plan on teaching my daughter this summer. She is five. I'm really enjoying the thread that's going right now about teaching kids/adults. She's really geared up right now, but I'll have to see how she feels in the water this summer. No pressure here.
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 7:20pm
Eric,

The torch first pa$$ed from my father (and mother) to me. Water is in my blood, so many great memories.

Chuck

P.S. I guess I should give wakeboarding another shot, the first time out it didn't do anything for me, maybe this summer.
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 7:28pm
I was fortunate enough to grow up on Lake Powell. I started skiing when I was very little. But my parents didn't teach me. I learned from the seasonal employees who worked at the resort. It was all open water skiing at Powell. Not until I was in the military and moved to Georgia did I start competing. Lake Powell is beautiful but a small ski lake with not so much as a ripple is incredible. Only cla$$ C tournaments. Usually a really good bunch of people at tournaments. Always find a ski club affiliated with AWSA when I get moved. My daughter is also a competetor. My oldest boy turned to wake boarding in his late teens. My youngest boy does not like to compete but he can run a full pa$$ at 15 off at 34mph.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 7:34pm
I tried and I tried barefooting all I ended up with as eninima, off the side no problem, we even had these shoes that were the size of bozo's feet that you laced up for barefooting, I dont know what they were called but they didnt work for me either.
Always slalomed and one day in 93 or 94 I seen this guy surfing behind the boat and thats about when wakeboarding started really taking off. started to wakeboard until the old tip of the board caught some water and I've never hit something so hard in my life, I was pulled onto the boat. 4 day headache and the end of the wakeboarding for me. nowadays I prefer to slalom, I dont get out as much as i would like too, and hopefully someday the kids will get interested
"the things you own will start to own you"
Poster112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poster112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 7:44pm
Started at 4 behind a 27 foot Sea Ray. Moved down to a 15' Boston Whaler and then a 17' Whaler before two of my friends that lived on the same Bayou got barefoot Nautiques and one got a 79 Ski Nautique like the one I bought this past summer. I trick skied and barefooted, but not competition. My friend, Jay, was a national barefoot champion for at least two years in the mid 80s and was coached by none other than Mike Seipel. I was a pretty good trick skier, but after seeing what Jay's dad put him through to compete, I had no interest in competing. He did get to practice with the tournament boats (BFNs), and it was cool to drive and ride in the boat with the extra speedos and judges jumpseats on either side of the motor box. As he was sponsored by Eagle, I got good deals on barefoot suits, too.
Those were the days!
I'd rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal-lobotomy.

1985 Ski

1984 SW
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 9:06am
I learned to jump and run the course in college and went to a handful of tournaments. I hope to figure out that damn slippery ski this year and possibly find some INT tournaments in the future.

2007 will be my rookie show ski season.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 11:26am
Never skiied until I met my wife and her father taught me when I was 18. Then at 30, tried barefootin' and thought it was the single biggest adrenaline rush in the world. About killed myself self-teaching barefoot behind a '77 17' Crestliner tri-hull with a 140 In-line Merc. Read a lot of WS magazine and went out and proceeded to find out what not to do. Started on a kneeboard and needed a boat driver that knew just how far to trim the motor up, no more than a 1/4 tank of gas and the smallest observer that we could find to coax 36MPH out of that thing. It was cool. Then we got our inboard and the learning curve was dramatically cut down. At about 35, joined a nationally ranked show team with my girls and that was awesome. For seven years, the team was our life and we learned so much, not to mention did a lot a skiing. It was a pretty significant commitment though. Then we relocated down to FL and this year I want to compete at barefoot just to see how that works out.
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 11:57am
I have been told that people with high arches have a hard time barefoot skiing, as opposed to people with flat feet.......... is this true ? One of my new year resolutions is to learn how to barefoot. I used ski shoes a couple of times when I was a teenager , and it was a blast until I wiped out and shoved my eyeballs unto my brain from the impact.

It's prbably the only new years resolution that I will actually keep.........
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by todicus todicus wrote:

It's prbably the only new years resolution that I will actually keep.........

My new years resolution, not to log on to CCfan during work. Made it til Jan3rd
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 1:12pm
Alan,

It's called taking a break, renewing yourself for the next task--it's better than playing free cell!

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 2:10pm
I would disagree with the high arch thing. It's completely the technique that gets you where you want to be at. You just need someone to teach you the basics. I taught 8 year olds to foot so anyone older is a snap. If you were in FL, I would be happy to work with you. If you were to pick up a video from Ron Scarpa or Lane Bowers, they are very good at working the basics to get you started on the boom. Knowing somewone that is a footer would also help in getting the basic techniques and starts down on a one-on-one basis.
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 2:42pm
Thanks for the offer !! I'm in Northern California, so I don't think we could get much further apart logistically than that. I will definitely pick up a training DVD as you have suggested. A buddy of mine has a barefoot boom that he cannot use anymore due to his inadvertant upgrade to a Malibu Response, which doesn't allow a straight boom to fit due to the windshield shape going past the pylon, so I've got dibs on it for cheap.........(free).
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
Poster112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poster112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 3:57pm
What is the "slippery ski"?

1985 Ski

1984 SW
tjlake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjlake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 4:21pm
learned on a 17' 1959 Aristocraft with a 75 h.p Evinrude. Have got a picture, at age 4, riding on my dad's shoulder's. He's 80 now, and when I look at that picture, I think I can still remember when it was taken..wonder why this stuff is in my blood. Hope I can have/create those same memories with my kids.
Ran my first slalom course last year, got all 6 balls by the end of the year.WILL do it better this year..Great thread guys..Joe
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by Poster112 Poster112 wrote:

What is the "slippery ski"?

trick ski
Poster112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poster112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 5:06pm
Man, in my opinion, the trick ski the most fun of them all (barefooting is a close second). You can do any of the tricks that the wake boarders can do and it is not as awkward a stance as the wake board. Because your feet are in a stance like a slalom, close together but with your back foot in a relaxed open stance, you do not really have a back side and a front side, just a strong and weaker side like slalom skiing. With your feet so close together, your spin axis is easier to line up. Also when you wipe out, I don't think that you are as prone to injury, as you are going slower and because of the shorter and skinnier size, you get a softer landing (sink into the surface a little bit). Yes it is slippery when flat, but not on edge. You can do just about anything that you want to on one. I've done flips, line tricks, wake line tricks, toe tricks and even tumble turns. The trick ski is much smaller than a wake board which lets you spin faster and with no fins, your turns are smooth as silk for surface tricks. You gotta try it. I thought that I would like wakeboarding, as it is fairly similar, but the wake board is so much more sluggish and bulky.

1985 Ski

1984 SW
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 6:26pm
The learning curve is so damn steep I usually toss the thing in favor of something I'm better at.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

The learning curve is so damn steep I usually toss the thing in favor of something I'm better at.

Drinking beer perhaps????
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

'88 nautique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote '88 nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 8:36pm
My younger brother and I learned to ski behind a mid 70's AMF slickcraft. Before we had a boat we used to sit on the beach in okoboji and watch Boys Town take out their kids and waterski behind a blue Ski Nautique. It was totally awesome to see them. I swore that someday I would own one and teach my children how to ski. I purchased my 88 2001 last fall. Come to find out the boat was owned by the same corporation ( boys town) we had seen 30 years ago. Just a different boat. My children can slalom and kneeboard already, but never behind a CC. Infact I have never been in or behind one yet, this summer is going to be awsome ...
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 11:04pm
Backfoot: Where are ya at? We are in Lake Wales. Just got here 3 years ago from Northeastern Ohio.

As to the subject matter at hand....my dad taught me at about age 10 behind his buddies boat. Had twin 45's! Thought it was hot. My brother found the West Shore Water Ski Club in about 68 and the rest is history as they say. Learned to do it all, foot, jump, trick, fly kites and show ski. Did all sorts of show acts. GN-6027's Dad used to sell our shows. Awesome feeling skiing in front of lots of spectators just like the pros.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2007 at 2:38pm
JBear, I'm in Winter Haven. Just a few miles down the road. Just got down here two years ago from south central WI. Luvin' it.

I'll agree with you on the rush of show skiing. The WI state show ski tournament is the largest water ski tournament held in the world every year. Typically draws about 3000 skiiers before the weekend is over. When you run three four-highs for an end pyramid and line up 36-40 people on the dock and pull 'em all off with a 21' Hydrodyne that has three 150HP Evinrudes on the back end, that's impressive. Especially when you're sitting there with a young honey on your shoulders and when the rope comes tight, the tow boat is actually already doing almost 20MPH. Almost brings it to complete halt before those triple engines grunt everyone off the dock. Then you build it and come around the corner into the show course, there are typically between 7000-9000 people standing on shore just screaming at the top of their lungs. You wanna talk about an adrenaline rush!!!! Whew! You feel like Superman!!!! The transom on the triple rig we had to rebuild about every three or four years. It was 3/4" stainless gla$$ed into the rear end with the biggest freakin' clevis hooks you'd normally see on a tractor. Cool stuff.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2007 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

21' Hydrodyne that has three 150HP Evinrudes on the back end

150's? The Wonder Lake team here has trip 300's last time I checked (or possibly 250/275's - either way it's insane. I heard that they renamed that boat company, which was first HydroDyne, then DynaSki, to just "Dyne".

Hydrodyne History
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2007 at 3:50pm
Trip 300s? I've never seen that. Most I've ever seen is trip 225s. Lately the trips are 200s and twins 225s. backfoot could probably provide some better info from the past decade of show dynes.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2007 at 4:46pm
I've been out of show skiing since '01. I agree with Hollywood. Triple 200's I've seen, and twin 250's. Nothing in the 300HP range. Doesn't mean that they aren't there. We were actually the first team to have a triple rig at a major tournament. Over the next three years there were at least 4 or 5 that came out for the big teams. I think that once you get to that level, the difference between a 150's, 200's and 225's pull comes down to the driver. We've pulled more with the 150's than other teams have with 200's at the same tournament. I've also seen teams use a twin 250 rig pulling another twin 250 rig that was in turn pulling the pyramid. Once they took off the second boat had a release up to the front bow eye that disconnected the first boat. Now you would think that two boats with 500HP would easily out pull a single triple rig with 450HP. They did it, but it took multiple tries to git 'er done.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2007 at 5:13pm
Ok, ok, so that may have been an exaggeration. I thought that 300's had just come out recently and that somebody had them on a 'Dyne. An employee at my last job had a kid on the team and used to talk about the boats all the time and that may be where I got the rumor. The main point was that the only trip rigs I've seen have been 200+ motors, and I was poking fun at the 150's. I don't actually care about this.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2007 at 6:06pm
Joel, I could be wrong but I though the Rock Aqua Jays had a triple rig with 250's on it last year.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2007 at 6:46pm
Hmmm, this thread got me thinking. I should put a 250 hp decal kit on the pontoon engine!

I know these are salt series, but I've never seen a larger outboard. PLBC stands 5'11"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic