NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine wiring: circuit breaker

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine wiring: circuit breaker
    Posted: January-16-2007 at 5:30pm
I am attempting to put together an accurate wiring diagram for my boat, starting with the engine. I am using the following diagrams, the first being from the PCM manual.

My boat is 2 hrs away, so I cant use it to verify my diagram- I was hoping to get some input here.

There has been discussion on this site that there should be a breaker between the alternator output and the battery. This does not seem consistent with the PCM manual, which states,

"At the connector plug of the engine wiring harness, at the rear of the engine, a short orange wire is provided which connects to the battery cable terminal of the starter solenoid. This wire is provided to shunt the alternator output directly to the battery, if a voltmeter is used in the instrument panel."

My boat uses a voltmeter (no ammeter). What is the correct set up?

I am also looking at the starter solenoid wiring, as the diagrams above do not agree and are not very clear. This solenoid from a SkiDIM has 4 posts. I a$$ume the 2 large posts are for the battery and starter. I a$$ume the other 2 posts are for the ignition (purple on the diagrams, but I could have sworn there is a R/Y wire on my ignition switch), and the neutral safety switch? Can anyone clarify?

advsouthwind View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote advsouthwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2007 at 12:08am
IF USING A VOLTMETER IS WHAT YOU ARE DOING YOU DONT USE THE ORANGE WIRES AT ALL. YOU SHOULD TAKE A RED WIRE FROM THE IGN SWITH TO THE VOLTMETER AND MAKE A GOOD GROUND COMING OUT OF THE METER. I REMOVED MY AMMETER AND SWITCHED TO A VOLT METER AND IT WORKS GREAT. YOU ALSO DONT USE THE ORANGE WIRE FROM THE BACK OF THE ALTERNATOR EITHER. AS FAR AS THE SOLENOID THE RED WIRE COMING FROM THE IGN SWITCH SHOULD GO TO THE S TERMINAL ON THE STARTER RELAY . THAT SHOULD ACUATE THE PLUNGER IN THE SOLENOID AND ALLOW 12 VOLTS TO THE STARTER TERMINAL. I THOUGHT THE NEUTRAL SAFTEY SWITCH WIRES WERE GRAY.IF YOU HAVE AN ORANGE WIRE AT THE SOLENOID DISCONNECT THAT AND TAPE IT OFF. HOPE THIS HELPS
gave up sea ray life for a 77 southwind 20 project just livin the dream
advsouthwind View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote advsouthwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2007 at 12:13am
I WENT TO LOOK AT MY BOAT, THE RED WIRE COMING FROM THE IGN SWITH CONNECTS TO THE HOT SIDE OF THE SOLENOID ON THE LARGE POST AND THE WHITE WIRE FROM THE IGN SWITCH GOES TO THE S TERMINAL
gave up sea ray life for a 77 southwind 20 project just livin the dream
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2007 at 6:35am
The neutral safety switch wires are yellow with a red stripe IIRC.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2007 at 6:52am
The more I think about it, the "hot" for the starting circuit is yellow/red stripe, going from the "start" position on the key to the N safety switch then to the small post on the relay.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2007 at 8:34am
Here's a table with the wiring color code from skiboathelp.com:

Color Code

EDIT: That link gives me another link which also has some useful info under their "technical information" menu item:

More info
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2007 at 9:33am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

The more I think about it, the "hot" for the starting circuit is yellow/red stripe, going from the "start" position on the key to the N safety switch then to the small post on the relay.

That sounds right, and would agree with the wiring chart you mentioned. Seems like there are a few errors in PCM's diagram.

Would this diagram be correct? Does the alternator output connect directly to the battery without going through the breaker?

Thank you both for your input... Im getting closer!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2007 at 11:19am
Another question. In the PCM diagram above, in the "Non-Solenoid Starter Type Circuit" (Ford style starter) there is a purple wire coming off the solenoid. Is that the wire that momentarily provides 12V to the coil when cranking (bypa$$ing the ballast resistor)? [I have this wire drawn in orange, attached to the I post on the solenoid in my diagram.]
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2007 at 12:28pm
I think that's a 50A breaker. Maybe I'm thinking of the 00.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2007 at 12:51pm

I think that's a 50A breaker. Maybe I'm thinking of the 00.

They did go to larger breakers in recent years. Im not certain what the '90 has, but I think the manuals say 40A.

Is it at least in the right place?

This is the diagram I have put together. If anyone can provide input or make corrections, I would appreciate it. Thank you!

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2007 at 2:54pm
Here is the other configuration that may make sense. This has the the alternator output being routed through the large engine circuit breaker to charge the battery. Is this the correct setup?

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2007 at 11:10am
I was pretty close with my last diagram. I got a little help from Vince at SkiDIM and made a few tweaks. This diagram should work for most boats from 84 onwards, excluding Protec and EFI motors.

Again, if anyone notices anything that is incorrect, let me know.

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2007 at 12:09pm
That's outstanding. Great work. I noticed the diagram has a 50 AMP breaker
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2007 at 12:22pm

I noticed the diagram has a 50 AMP breaker

Yeah, yeah- I was hoping you wouldnt notice!
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2007 at 1:14pm
Wouldn't the output of the alternator go to the unfused side of the 50A breaker?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2007 at 3:40pm

Wouldn't the output of the alternator go to the unfused side of the 50A breaker?

That was one of my main questions. It looks like the 50A breaker is designed seperate everything from the battery (except the starter). This is the diagram that Vince sent me:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic