Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Teleflex Steering Cable (PN SSC15420)

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
must58gt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote must58gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Teleflex Steering Cable (PN SSC15420)
    Posted: January-26-2007 at 4:30pm
I need to replace the steering cable in our 1998 Ski Nautique and called Teleflex for a PN. They told me the OEM cable is a custom 19.5' length but a standard 20' Teleflex cable would work. The tech rep gave me Teleflex PN SSC13420 (where the last two digits specify the length) but suggested that I use a newer design (PN SSC15420) that would steer easier and possibly last longer.

Does anyone have any experience using a 20' cable or using a non-OEM steering cable? The difference in price is significant ... thanks!
-- Must58GT
-- Austin, Texas
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2007 at 4:51pm
Must 58,
when it comes to your steering system reach deep into your wallet,buy the complete set up.
Teleflex #SS13220 replaces all your components but the steering wheel,list price 199.99 dollars. These are used in my shop all the time, with good results.It is a rotary helm,anti feed-back design........boat dr
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2007 at 10:31pm
dr: the '80 is steering kinda stiff so I was thinking of a new cable to start the season but like the idea of a whole new set-up. Do they have one like what you mentioned in your post for a boat as old as mine?

Thanks

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2007 at 10:44pm
John,
year model don't matter,to get the length you need measure the plastic or outer jacket,then add 18 in. then round up to the next even foot.
Teleflex part #SS132??, last two numbers will be the length. Hope this has confused you???????
There is also a tilt helm to really trick out your ride,looks stock but moves the wheel out you way......... too cool.....boat dr
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 12:15am
I got it. Thanks. Don't think I'll try the tilt. Probably over my head.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 5:14pm
I replaced my steering cable about 8 years back when I had my boat down here on vacation. I called SECC and Woody told me the length would be stamped on the sheath which it was seeing as it was an American Skier and nobody really knew what length it was supposed to be. I didn't replace the helm but everything is working great since then. He told me at the time that the cables will usually only last about 500 HR's. I'm at 700 now and it's still working great.

Jbear, get a new cable and we'll replace that bad boy with the manifold!!!!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 9:13pm
Eddie: MM already told me to pick up valve covers as well. Now we gotta do the cable too. We'll have the whole boat rebuilt before I know it.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 9:42pm
Boat Doctor,

What is the part number for the system with the tilt steering? Where do I order it?
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 9:54pm
Just what you need-more to your project!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 10:34pm
Skibum,
Teleflex/Morse #SH1535230 , this is the tilt helm only ,if you already have a rotary system now there is no need to replace the cable.
My catalog shows list at $164.99 ,if you need a cable also part #SSC52?? add lenght as last two numbers......... boat dr
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 8:15am
Thank you.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Eddie: MM already told me to pick up valve covers as well. Now we gotta do the cable too. We'll have the whole boat rebuilt before I know it.

I told you that thing could be pushing 400HP before we get done with it!!!! Just keep finding more stuff you need done and bring more beer.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 10:47pm
Eddie; Got lots of room for beer in the bed of the F-150!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2007 at 4:36pm
Good news jbear. I just stopped by Roush Racing and snuck out the back door with a new set of 12:1 heads. Matt Kenseth will have nothing on you.

Eddie, I'm thinking more now like 525. Probably need something like a 13x33 prop, don't ya think?

I don't think your truck is a long-bed is it jbear? Better fill Patti's 'Stang also.    
ReidP
1973 Mustang

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2007 at 9:03pm
Reid: The truck is not a long bed and Patti would kill me if I used that Mustang for Beer delivery. But I am sure not against making multiple beer runs if thats what it takes.

Is 12:1 the compression? That is kinda high. We are gonna have fun.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2007 at 8:51am
John, we can fill up the Harley F150 if we need more than you can haul. We have the technology.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic