Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pro-Boss, GT-40 or stand. 351?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pro-Boss, GT-40 or stand. 351?
    Posted: June-23-2004 at 9:34pm
I posted this question on the gen. board, but i didnt want to miss any responses. How can you tell if a 351 in 90-96 ski naut. is a pro boss, gt-40, or standard 351? (other than decal). it doesnt make sense that someone could put a $20 sticker kit on and fool a buyer. Thanks Darrel
Farkum View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farkum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2004 at 4:45am
What you are asking for is the differnce between the 351 windsor engine and the 351 cleveland engine. The windsor is theone that most older ski nautiques and thecleveland would be the one that puts out more horsepower. The windsor used regular 5/8" spark plugs where as the cleveland used 14mm spark plugs which are a little bit smaller. The windsor also had a 5 bolt straight valve cover and the cleveland had a 8 bolt 2 plane valve cover.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2004 at 12:28am
Somebody else out there want to straighten this one out. I'm lacking the diplomacy. I'd just suggest that Darrel take the serial number and call PCM and they should be able to tell you, or if that's not available, just call their customer service or Woody at Southeast Correct Craft and inquire about the differences.   
ReidP
1973 Mustang

AWhite70 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2004 at 10:55am
Farkum, I think you are a little offbase. To the best of my knowledge the 351 Cleveland was never put into a Ski Nautique, only Windsors were used. Windsor heads of different designs used both 14mm and 18mm spark plugs.

The regulary 351W, pro boss, and GT-40 are all 351 Windsor engines, however I don't know enough of the details to tell the difference. I believe the GT-40's were all fuel injected and had intake manifolds similar to what was on the '87-'93 5.0L Ford Mustang
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2004 at 11:40am
I would go with AWhite70 from what I've seen the GT-40 is fuel injected and the standard engine has a carb. So I would look at the intake.
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2004 at 3:35pm
Thanks guys, I concur, GT-40 is fuel injected, but are all EFI motors GT-40s? GT-40 started in 95, 94 had carb, Pro Tec with and w/o injection. How do you tell 90-93 carb motor if its a Pro Boss or regular 351? I guess i dont know how motor is improved to be a Pro Boss 300 horse. Heads? Cam? Looking for exterior ways of identification, other than a decal kit. Any help is appreciated.
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2004 at 7:52pm
GT-40's 90 and up were 351 High Output motors, with GT-40 heads, 285 H.P. vs. standard 250 H.P. heads. Click on Discount Inboard Marine at the top of the page, go to cylinder heads, and you will see a pic. of the GT-40 heads.
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2004 at 11:16pm
in the front of the engine and the lower part of the head the high output motors have 3 lines or slash marks. The standard 351's have 2 of these lines/slash on the lower portion of the head. i looked at both my motors and the pro boss has 3, the 95 sn with fuel (EFI)injection has only 2.
FinsofFury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinsofFury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2004 at 1:15pm
D-
I just bought a 96 Sport Natty and it's carbed. The injected version of this bought has had problems. I've heard that from a few sources. I have a friend that is an MC dealer and he said the 96 carb version is better. The GT40 didn't come out in efi until 97...or atleast that is when it was "perfected". This was confirmed by a couple "motorheads" I know also. Mine is great, I love it!!! BTW, i bought it w/ 102hrs on it, it's like new!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic