Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

86 pcm 351 fuel leak

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
KaptainK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KaptainK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 86 pcm 351 fuel leak
    Posted: April-03-2007 at 1:47pm
Many thanks!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2007 at 1:34pm
KaptainK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KaptainK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2007 at 1:30pm
I have a 1990 with a Holly that has the same issue. What is "Skidim" though? Anyone have a url for them?
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2007 at 1:18pm
Tim,
I thought that was a solid cast there, and how strange it would be for this area to leak fuel. Must be a thin wall that cracks through time there... I didn't see any physical cracks but anyway, I'll see if I can patch it up in the Spring..

Thanks much,
Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2007 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Funny I'm reading this thread, thinking of a gas leak I have on my Holley. The leak, strangely enough, looks like it's coming from the top of the carb where that 1/2" round embossed, button area is on top of the same secondary is you are mentioning.... I didn't look further into it when putting the boat up for storage, but maybe you guys have seen this and could remedy it...

Thanks
Moj'

I had the same thing happen in that spot. I added some JB weld and it sealed it up just fine. Short of replacing the fuel bowl, theres probably not much else you can do.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2007 at 12:51pm
Funny I'm reading this thread, thinking of a gas leak I have on my Holley. The leak, strangely enough, looks like it's coming from the top of the carb where that 1/2" round embossed, button area is on top of the same secondary is you are mentioning.... I didn't look further into it when putting the boat up for storage, but maybe you guys have seen this and could remedy it...

Thanks
Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

83SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2007 at 11:11am
Hold the fitting in the carb and loosen the fuel line, tighten the fitting and then tighten the fuel line. That will usually fix this leak, unless the gasket is bad of course.
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2007 at 12:44am
Brian,

I had the same fuel leak in the same place. I ordered the gasket from Skidim, it was bra$$. I also ordered the fuel line for $10 and was glad I did. part of the problem was that the fuel line was slightly bent from trying to tighten it down to keep it from leaking.

When I changed my fuel/water separator/filter I had to remove the entire bracket too. It had been on there for some time. Try a rubber strap wrench.

Brian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2007 at 9:56pm
Thanks everyone for the replies. I have a Holly carb, I went to Skidim and there is a washer. I will splurge and spend the $1.06 to have it in "inventory" just in case a simple turn of the wrench doesn't fix the problem.

One more question - how messy is the process to replace the Fram water separating fuel filter? I had an 82SN2001 before buying the 86 and had to remove the entire filter body from the bracket to get the filter canister out. I don't think the filter had been changed for about 10 years! Any advice on this would be appreciated as well.
Brian
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2007 at 8:52am
Originally posted by Morto Morto wrote:

the Holley 600 Vacuum Secondary (model 4160) has a finer thread on the fuel inlet than many of the other models and is apparently easy to strip

Aint that the truth. Notice the front fuel bowl is a different color than the rest of the carb

Morto View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2007 at 11:04pm
Don't know what carb you've got but some advice that was given to me - the Holley 600 Vacuum Secondary (model 4160) has a finer thread on the fuel inlet than many of the other models and is apparently easy to strip so be very careful tightening it to stop a leak. Also, if you are ever replacing those fittings (I've got nice dragster anodised ones - doesn't go any faster) some speed shops a$$ume you've got a "serious" one like a 750 double pumper and sell you the wrong fitting (happened to me twice). Some will even tell you that it's definately the correct one. If that happens just tell them you changed your mind and now want the fitting for a Barry Grant carb, which is the same.
'82 Ski Tique PCM351W
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2007 at 9:28am
its funny how much teflon tape guys go through on that steel line and it still leaks
"the things you own will start to own you"
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2007 at 9:15am
it should be a nylon washer, if it has one, typical of a q-jet or edlebrock carb do have them but I don't believe holley uses it.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2007 at 7:29am
there is a washer under the fitting to the carb and the steel line rely's on a J.I.c taper, look for nicks on the tapers,dont use teflon tape on the threads, it doesnt seal on the threads. Of course if the line is loose then tighten it, it may solve the problem
"the things you own will start to own you"
Brian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2007 at 9:55pm
I have a minor leak on my 86 SN 2001 with a PCM 351. I know this is easily fixable just need to know if I need parts. The leak is coming from the fitting that connects the rigid fuel line to the carb - is there an o-ring or filter in this connection or do I just need to tighten down the connection.

I noticed this when I was winterizing and want to fix before spring!
Brian
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic