NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rotary vs. Rack and Pinion Steering

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rotary vs. Rack and Pinion Steering
    Posted: February-06-2007 at 3:18pm
There's been a few threads about steering systems lately, and it has me thinking about replacing mine. I havent been as diligent as Quinner, and I havent been cranking it back and forth often enough- I think its stuck. A new cable may be in order, so I may upgrade the whole system if the cost difference isnt huge. The Boat Dr. has mentioned a few good rotary setups that are relatively inexpensive. I believe newer Nautiques have R&P setups as opposed to rotary. What are the advantages to each system?

Another question: 82-90 Nautiques used special 17.5' steering cables. In addition to the special length, they supposedly have 10" of travel vs. the standard 8". Id like to keep 100% of my rudder travel if possible. I know newer Nautiques use 19.5' cables- I a$$ume they have the extra travel as well?

Other considerations are:
-keeping the existing hole in dash
-keeping the original steering wheel
-adding a tilt mechanism

Any input would be appreciated!
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2007 at 4:55pm
TRB, you are correct,about the travel,but C/C like every one else buys stuff off the shelf,Teleflex does not build a cable just for them.
SSC6117 is the Teleflex part no. and yes it does have the 10 in.These are direct replacements ,for the diferent lengths just substitute the last two numbers for the correct length..........boat dr
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2007 at 7:41pm
Boat doc, what is the difference?
"the things you own will start to own you"
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2007 at 7:44pm
I just read this thread, and thought "oh crap,I haven't cranked it back and forth for a couple weeks". So, I went out in the garage and tried to turn it and it's frozen! I was able to turn it just a couple of weeks ago! Now, here in Ohio right now it is a frigid 8 yes, EIGHT degrees! the thermometer in my garage reads about 30 degrees. Is it time for a new steering cable? I know for a fact that it was replaced by the PO about 4 or 5 years ago. How often do these things require replacement? Or is this just frozen from the cold weather?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2007 at 9:09pm
Randy, i would wait to the weather warms up a bit then decide, were you having problems in the summer? boat doc, is there any way to lube these cables? for some strange reason i remember a grease fitting up by the rack, i know i once had a problem with tight steering and greased something and it freed up the steering
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2007 at 9:26pm
Eric, there is a fitting or tool that allows you to pump grease into a outboard or i/o , it screws onto the tilt tube.
But being we dont have a tilt tube ,well ???
some of the off brand{cheap cables]no name brand, junk etc. came with a zerk at the transom end.worked real well till you filled the chase[outside]full of grease while the cable[inside]was fulley extended=Hydraulic lock,steering wheel wont move,now i have to buy a new cable,maybe greasing the cable was not a good idea............ boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2007 at 9:36pm
come to think of it, It was an outboard
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2007 at 8:28am
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

TRB, you are correct,about the travel,but C/C like every one else buys stuff off the shelf,Teleflex does not build a cable just for them.
SSC6117 is the Teleflex part no. and yes it does have the 10 in.These are direct replacements ,for the diferent lengths just substitute the last two numbers for the correct length..........boat dr

Thanks for the input, Doc. It looks like the part number you listed would be my stock replacement (rotary) cable.

If Im buying a new cable and adding tilt, should I stick with the rotary, or should I consider changing to R&P? What are the advantages/disadvantages of R&P?

Got any part numbers for the R&P helm, cable and tilt that CC would have used on the newer boats? They would also utilize the longer travel cable, I believe.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2007 at 8:57am
TRB, IMHO,the racks are junk,way too much slop and slack.80 mph ba$$ boats are common in my shop,when the std. stuff goes South, the have 2 options in my shop,Rotary or Hydraulic.
Rotary is the only way to get a tilt helm.
I dont think they offered a tilt helm, but the list is short , i listed #s before only 2 part no.available.........
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2007 at 9:50am
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

TRB, IMHO,the racks are junk,way too much slop and slack.80 mph ba$$ boats are common in my shop,when the std. stuff goes South, the have 2 options in my shop,Rotary or Hydraulic.
Rotary is the only way to get a tilt helm.
I dont think they offered a tilt helm, but the list is short , i listed #s before only 2 part no.available.........

Maybe I am misinformed. I thought I had been told the new Nautiques have R&P, but they have tilt wheels so perhaps that is incorrect.

Looking at the White Lake catalog, the following cables are listed:

82-90 17.5' Teleflex $275
91-92 19.5' Morse   $179
93-97 19.5' Teleflex $169
98+    19.5' Teleflex $189

I have no idea what the differences would be if they are all rotary. Any clue?

If Im looking at the best full setup I can buy, which would include the helm, cable and tilt, what do you recommend? I want the longer 10" travel, and it has to fit in my current dash. I figure anything in the 17.5-19.5' range should work.

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2007 at 9:53am
Mine's definately R & P and definately tilt. I think all SN helms were since 92 or 93. Looks like they really stick it to you with the 17.5'.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2007 at 10:04am
CC, Malibu, MC use R&P and have for some time. When putting it in an older boat, you have to make sure you have the room behind the dash for the R&P set up. Some boats don't.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2007 at 10:08am
Good info, thanks guys. Maybe I should put a call into a CC dealer and see if I can get the Morse/Teleflex R&P helm, tilt and cable part numbers.

I suspect I have plenty of room for the R&P, as the dash hasnt changed significantly since '90.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic