NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stainless Steel Manifolds

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2007 at 9:32am
JR VIC, have you called Allen about this heat issue? He has been very receptive to any questions and issues I have had so far,I don't think there should be a difference in the two ,same water,same distance=same temp.......boat dr
Jim as far as the conversation was a pleasure here also. My keystrokes leave a lot to be desired, but i talk real well.There are a lot of neat people I have met here,and hope to add to my list,its cool to put a voice with a name..........billy
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2007 at 12:49am
darn was hoping for an exhaust sound change, little more noise if possible.

Spoke with boat doc on the phone earlier tonight and as usually it great to speak with. Very willing to share personal experiences and just plain fun to talk to. Thanks for the call Doc. Just put the pics on here or email them to me jbragg67@comcast.net
JR_VIC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR_VIC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 11:01pm
Yes they have drain plugs...one on each side. The boat in the water sounds just like it did before with the stock OEM manifolds...no difference in sound in my opinion.

Thanks!
"That's not a Snow Cone that's my Ring!"
whiz05403 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whiz05403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 10:34pm
Do these new manifolds have drain plugs on them for winterizing? Does the boat sound any different?
JR_VIC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR_VIC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 9:46pm
I will do a search again here in the forum but it seems as though I either read it here, talked to Vince at DIM, or one of the tech guys at PCM in North Carolina told me that it was normal to have the starboard side manifolds on my 92 351W to be hotter than the port side but not sure by how much. As M3Fan mentioned, it could have been doing this before but because I was never really paying attention to the stock manifolds it went unoticed. This may sound strange but the stock OEM heavy cast iron manifolds are very thick as most of you know and you don't hear much exhaust sound around the manifold when it is running. I say this because in the past if I was tuning the carb with the engine running on the trailer and bent down leaning over the engine with my ear close to the stock OEM manifold you don't hear much exhaust sound. After I changed to the Hi-Tek headers and in the same situation of bent down and leaning over the header to adjust the carb while the engine was running on the trailer, I noticed you could hear an exhaust note at the header...not a ticking exhaust leak just an exhaust note. As I leaned my ear right up almost touching the header you can hear alot of exhaust sound unlike before. Don't get me wrong, it is nothing that is real loud and you would not notice with the engine cover closed because in that sitaution it sounds just like stock. My point is that if I leaned over to the header very close you can hear so much more exhaust sound than before leading me to beleive that the walls surrouding the headers appear to be very high quality yet much thinner than the stock, thick, cast iron manifolds. Make sense? If you lay your hand on the side if the headers you can almost slightly feel the exhaust pulses. Maybe because of this design you just can hear a little more and you also feel more tempature as well. One other note...the engine temp is perfect and running a touch cooler than before and when I ran my hand over the water spitting out the rear of the boat while idling on the trailer it does not seem any hotter than before. Also...most of this higher temp on the starboard side is behind the header at the rubber exhaust hose that connects it to the muffler and not so much on the header itself. Any more ideas?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 4:42pm
Boat Doc, I going to give you call again tonight wanted to check a couple other things with you. Most likely about 8:30ish my time.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 11:27am
Some difference in mani temps is normal as far as I know. Looking at the Tstat housing it would appear that the easiest route for the water to flow is straight over to the port side manifold. It's probably just more noticeable with the stainless steel vs. the cast which will take longer to show swings in temp. Just a theory for conversation's sake.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 11:21am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Boat Doc, I a$$ume youre including me in your SBF count. I do not want any paint or powder on them- Id prefer them bare. I plan to have them jet-hot coated once I get them.

Not sure if that changes the price or not.

Doc, not sure if you saw my post yesterday. I realize the order is far from finalized, but I wanted to mention it in case you speak with Allen again.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 11:07am
depends on the quality of the exhaust too. If there is a difference in the jackets that create the water cavity so that one side can hold a large amount of water vs. the otherside then one would be hotter than the other. I would think they se a jig so that they are the same but I have never seen there manifacturing process and if they are all done by hand then you will see a difference from one to another and could create this very problem. Double check the routing and hose sizes for something to create a restriction on the side that is getting hotter. 5-10 degrees I wouldn't get excited about but 20-30 difference side to side isn't right.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 10:45am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

there may be corrosion in the risers

Im not saying theres no corrosion, but I doubt there is any in the brand new one piece SS manifolds.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 7:41am
sounds like a water flow problem, water takes its easiest path especially at idle, its possibly that there may be corrosion in the risers or some where else, fire the boat on the trailer and see if there is a difference at the exhaust in volume of water. if it was a carb or thermostat it would heat both sides and the problem disappears at wot, because now the water is under higher pressures and possibly is making its way through the restrticted area and allowing it to cool
"the things you own will start to own you"
JR_VIC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR_VIC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2007 at 10:08pm
I thougt it may be the carb as well but I ran the boat the weekend before with the old manifolds and it was OK from what I recall. I remember checking the engine over as I had just changed the exhaust hoses out a few months before and I just don't remember there being any difference in temp. at that time. I did change the water pump/thermostat about the same time as the Hi-Teks so that may be the cause. I'll call DIM and talk to them.

Thanks!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2007 at 8:03pm
if that side is lean then it would run hotter and down the road would cause problems. The hy-tek's aren't causing the problem that's for sure.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2007 at 5:15pm
Boat doc will Allen back the fact that they will fit under the motor box with no mods to it on a BBC. I see they fit JR_VIC's Boat but I just want to be sure I wont have to make any changes when I get them.

JR_VIC did your motor actually idle slower once you put the hi-teks on? Why do you think one bank is running hotter then the other at idle? Is one getting less water then the other for some reason?

Does anyone think that the one bank running hotter then the other at idle could casue any problems down the road.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2007 at 9:40am
Boat Doc, I a$$ume youre including me in your SBF count. I do not want any paint or powder on them- Id prefer them bare. I plan to have them jet-hot coated once I get them.

Not sure if that changes the price or not.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2007 at 8:41am
if you use socket head cap screws instead of hex head screws it's a lot easier to install without clearance issues but then again you need a special socket with an allen wrench too.
JR_VIC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR_VIC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2007 at 10:36pm
I have been very happy with the Hi-Tek headers so far. As mentioned in a previous thread they bolted up almost as easy as the OEM ones with the exception that the way the headers come out and turn up I was only able to get a socket on about half of the bolts but again I don't have a vast selection of specialty sockets etc. The remaining bolts had to be tightened with an end wrench and with about 10 hours of use none have losened up so far. Absolutely no clearance issues at all anywhere on my 92 SNCB. Did not have to adjust the carb settings with the exception raising the idle about 100 RPM. Took it to the lake and picked up 4.0 MPH. I have also added the new style DUI HEI style distibutor and a Weiand intake as well. Also changed to a rear billet metering block and upped the jet sizes and the boat is now running about 52.5 MPH with 14 degrees of timing which I have been very happy considering these are only bolt on mods. I mentioned to Boat Dr. that the last few times out I am still having the starboard side run hotter than the port side by about 70 degrees (140 port to 210 starboard) only at idle but seems to normlize under way. Hope this helps.

Thanks!
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2007 at 10:13pm
MM,was quoted last year by Allen,300.00usd more to polish, will contact him again to check this .1387.00 + 300.00 = 1687.00
So far we have 4 sets,3 SBF & 1 BBC,87BFN{Jim Bragg} wants polished. The 3 SBF painted.We need 1 more for the discount that Allen will give on an order of 5,any more takers..........boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2007 at 7:13am
$1687.00 was said earlier.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2007 at 7:12am
$1867.00 was said earlier.
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 10:25pm
boat dr...how much are the polished ones??
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 7:19pm
I thought they would weigh a little more too until I thru them on a scale myself a year or too ago . Have heard from more than one person switching from cast to aluminum saved about 100 lbs. By far the hy-tec's are the lightest available and are half the weight of the AL edlebrocks I'm installing.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 4:53pm
79, you don't need to go back to school,it's my math that is suspect. Total weight of 2 manifolds is 62lbs.2 Risers weigh 42 lbs. this adds up to 104 lbs. subract 12 lbs per manifold and you only lose 80 lbs.
My digital scales, i hope,will show the weight of the Hi Teks as Allen advertised them.Sorry for the wrong info.........boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 4:30pm
boat doc,

I will give you a call later tonight would like to talk to you about the manifolds. Would arond 7:30-8ish be ok with you?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 11:03am
Yes, those sounds like BBC w/ 4" riser numbers.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 9:52am
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Weight loss 100 lbs.............boat dr

it's realy hard to loose 100 lbs. when the cast iron PCM manifold and risers only weigh 85-90lbs for both sides and your putting 10-15 lbs back on. Guess I should go back to math cla$$, NOT
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 9:32am
Reid, a picture's worth a thousand words:

Since automotive headers swing down and marine headers swing up, we have no fitment problems. Plug angle is actually much improved over the stock heads.

Boat Dr, Ill give you a call today.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 9:26am
87bfn,your cost on the big block chevy manifolds are $1925.00
B/B Chevy increase w/HI Tek
Horsepower 35
Torque 60 lb. ft.
Weight loss 100 lbs.
this price is for the powdercoat,polished is 300.00 more
time zone Central
todicus;
SBF,hp increase=25
torque=40 lb. ft.
TRB, can't find which book your # is in, call me please............boat dr
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 9:11am
And Tim, no problem with these and the P heads as there is with automotive headers? I was hoping that since they curve up that it wouldn't be an issue compared to auto headers going out and down. Just checking.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 7:53am
Originally posted by todicus todicus wrote:

Do you know what kind of performance gains there would be on a EFI GT-40 ?

Todicus, we dont have a ton of info on the manifolds. JR_VIC posted his results with them in this thread. They definitely sound promising!

When I spoke to Allen a year ago, he a$$ured me that they are drop-in replacements for the PCM/Indmar manifolds. The Hiteks dont require any more space than the stockers.

Boat Dr, thats great news. I missed Allens call yesterday, but Im glad to see he got through to you. If you need my info give me a call- I believe you have my number.

I a$$ume the $1387 is for the bare manifolds (not polished or powdercoated)? Like I think I mentioned to you before, if I get any coating done, it will be something like jet-hot.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic