NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rankin covers group buy, round 2!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rankin covers group buy, round 2!
    Posted: February-12-2007 at 4:20pm
Due to the overwhelming success of the last group buy, Rankin has expressed interest in doing another round. Due to the busy boat show season, I did not foresee this happening- but now everyone who missed out on the first buy has a second chance!

Anyone with a Rankin cover (especially those who participated in the last group buy), feel free to add comments. These covers are terrific!

The logistics will basically work the same as last time. Many questions were asked and answered in the First Round Thread. All info is below:

Background info:
Rankin offers top of the line Sunbrella covers that are truly trailerable. Their workmanship is top notch. The covers use a drawstring that tightens with a ratchet system and attaches firmly to the rub rail, so no snaps are necessary. The covers fit so well that no support poles are needed to shed water.

This group buy is applicable to any boat for which Rankin has a template. They claim that they have all Correct Craft templates dating back to 1989. The 1989 templates may or may not work on older boats.

See Rankin’s website for more information: http://www.rankincovers.com/

Pricing Information:

Other Details:
All Boats with Towers will require certain measurements to ensure an accurate cover. Descriptions of the measurements you need to take will be available on the order form that I send you.

No cleat or gas filler doors will be offered on the covers. Rankin has offered to send a small amount of extra fabric (for a small charge) to those who would like to have these options added locally.

Colors:

All of Rankin’s standard colors are eligible for this group deal.

Note: Red fabric is now an upcharge of $50

The full color list is as follows:

*For better legibility on the names of the colors, see Rankin's website: http://www.rankincovers.com/product-info.htm

Shipping:
Shipping charges will be the actual shipping cost from their facilities in Oregon. Shipping in the continental U.S. should range from approximately $15-$30.

Warranty:
Rankin’s standard warranty still applies. This warranty will cover the Sunbrella material for 5 years from the date of purchase. There is a lifetime warranty (for the original purchaser) on the workmanship of the cover.

How to Order:
Send me an email with Rankin in the title: TRBenj@gmail.com. I will send you an order form. Fill it out and send it back to me. When I have collected enough orders, I will submit them to Rankin.

Payment:
Once I submit the orders, Rankin will take your payment directly. They take Mastercard and Visa. They can be reached at (425) 483-9266 from 7am - 4pm Pacific Standard Time. Be sure to mention my name and this group buy.

I do not have a date when we will stop accepting orders for this group buy, but I will update this post when I do. I expect to start submitting orders in groups so that they may start production.

Thank you for your interest!
-Tim
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2007 at 6:55pm
Mine just showed up today. opened the box but haven't taken it out yet. looks real nice. I will try to get it put on sometime this week and post some pics / feedback.

Thanks again Tim for putting this together for us
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2007 at 8:35pm
Tim: I am interested but if I am reading your thread right, they think the '89 templets will fit older boats? But I am sure my '80 is way smaller that a '89, but that is what they are saying, that it'll fit?

Thanks
john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Ski Blue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ski Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2007 at 11:28pm
Maybe an 89 will fit 87-88 models. If that's the case then I might be looking into this. Good cover for a good price.
88 2001 - Family's boat

We've got to carry each other - ONE
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 6:49am
Tim, did you already get all of your family members on board with Rankins? That's practically a group buy right there
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 8:33am
My guess would be that the '89 template *should* fit all 2001 models (82-89). The 87-89 are all pretty similar with the raised windshield base- so I would think SkiBum would be OK.

JBear, since the pre-2001 hulls are smaller, I dont think they can use the same template. The covers fit so precisely that they probably wont work. Ill give Rankin a call and verify which templates they have.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 11:23am
are there vents in the cover? with the fit being so tight and if there are not any vents then I wouldn't want to leave the cover on other than traveling down the road otherwise you'll be dealing with mildow all of the time.

John, I can hook you up with a sunbrella cover for less money than the rankin and it will fit like a glove for your '81. I'll give you the info this week-end when we're doing the intake and what ever else you want done to the boat.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 12:28pm
These covers fit so tightly that I would not take the gamble as to whether a cover will fit the older boats. It seems like you only really have an inch of tolerance around the sides of the cover- it's a very tailored fit. I suppose you could get the 89 one and have a local shop tailor it in if needed.

79, sunbrella covers are supposed to breathe very well so I'm not too concerned about venting.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

79, sunbrella covers are supposed to breathe very well so I'm not too concerned about venting.

Correct. We've had several sunbrella covers that stayed on for weeks at a time. The fit wasnt as precise as the Rankins, but using a combination of support poles and straps/bungees, they were pretty tight. The only mildew issues Ive seen is when a damp cover would have direct prolonged contact with the vinyl skins- and that cover could probably use re-waterproofing. I believe mildew is much more common on the older/cheaper covers made out of canvas and other inferior materials. I dont anticipate having any issues with the Rankin.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 4:08pm
it has nothing to do with being old or new, the fabric is coated and it does not breath if it did then water would pa$$ through.

the oppertive word is SUPPOSE TOO, so that means you are a$$uming and all that does is make an a$$ out of you.

besides it's not the cover mildowing its the seats and everything inside of the boat that is the issue. When you make it air tight then you trap all of the moister from the carpet, bilge and towels left in the boat that causes the mildow beacuse all of the moister is now trapped and has no where to go. Same bullsh*t happens when you shrink wrap a boat for winter and don't use damp rid to collect the moister oh well there's a dumb a$$' that well spend more thinking that it's better when in all actuallity their wrong and waisted their money.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 4:29pm
Just to clear things up, Joel was correct. Sunbrella is breathable. Therefore, a sunbrella cover will not create an air-tight seal and promote mildew. Its a totally different scenario from shrinkwrapping, which requires vents, as you mentioned.

Maybe "coated" is the wrong word- but sunbrella can be "treated" to maintain its water repellency and still be breathable.

From Sunbrella's website:

Q: Is Sunbrella fabric waterproof?

A: Because Sunbrella furniture fabrics are designed to be breathable, they are water repellent, but not completely waterproof. Over time, the water repellency can be refreshed by using 303 High Tech Fabric Guard™ (www.303products.com).

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 4:32pm
again your missing the whole point and misleading people
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

again your missing the whole point

Apparently I am, because I have no idea what youre talking about. Not sure how Im misleading people though- have I posted any incorrect information?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 4:44pm
guess your reading comprehension isn't very good and your having trouble undestanding sunbrella's website.

When they are talking about the fabric being breathable it is refering to it drying out quickly if the fabric gets wet, not wheather or not moister pa$$es throught it which it doesn't. It's all of the moister that is present in the boat before you install the cover and trap in the boat when you install a tight cover that doesn't allow any air circulation so what happens next is mildow growth on your seats, carpet and anything else inside of the boat.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 5:00pm
My understanding is that water vapor can pa$$ through sunbrella (hence, breathable), but not liquid water (hence, water repellant). Again, I have not experienced any mildew problems with our sunbrella covers.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 5:23pm
79,A lot of the new fabrics have this feature,but you don't read well either,they have the ability to stop rain ie water, but allow moisture,water vaper,to pa$$ through the fabric.Karens new foulies,Henry Lloyd has this as a selling point,it will stop spash and driven rain, but will allow body heat and moisture to pa$$ right through.
Put on a slicker suit and you will see the difference,nothing in nothing out........It's called breathable for that reason.................boat dr

I did not know you designed covers as well as the other stuff you have listed on this site,and the product line is named________.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 7:32pm
when I was younger I did make covers too. late 80's

Ward''s awning and boat covers in Anderson, IN

the water has to be next to the fabric for it to wick thru the fabric and breath, very common in many fabrics used today, but it's not the same with water vapor, it's a solid vs a gasious state and they do not react the same.

stick that 600 dollar cover on your boat, leave it outside all winter in Indiana with out damp rid or any other simular product and see how much mildow is on your seats after two months time and you'll change your story.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 9:14pm
79, Im not sure I understand your argument. Rankin is not using some fabulous new proprietary miracle fabric. Sunbrella has been around for a long time and is commonly regarded as the best material available for boat covers. This is primarily due to its UV blocking ability and the fact that it breathes. Do you have an issue with sunbrella fabric that you would like to share with the rest of us?

Or do you have a problem with Rankin's precise fit? Seems like most covers are supposed to fit tight, otherwise they wouldnt shed water- does the fact that Rankin doesnt need poles, straps or snaps to tighten really change anything?

Or is it a problem with the price? $600 is a lot of money, but some people are willing to pay more for a quality boat cover- you know, they dont want to, "go cheap and install some junk sh*t." If the 25% discount isnt enough to entice you, I apologize.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2007 at 7:38am
Great bargain you got there. Still need to work on that comprehension. You select the type of fabric for durability to the elements. Does mold grow faster in a closed container or open?

option
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2007 at 9:01am
I will say, Sunbrella is quite waterproof. I've had my old Sunbrella bimini in storms that would qualify for an inland typhoon with no seepage through that thing. It is pretty amazing fabric.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2007 at 9:10am
TR, did you get a camp site right next to 79?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2007 at 10:15am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

TR, did you get a camp site right next to 79?

I sure hope so!

79, from the Overton's link you reference:

"Sunbrella is strong, water-repellent, and resists mildewing. It's world renowned for prolonging sun rot from ultraviolet rays. Sunbrella is used on boats from dinghies to yachts when nothing but the best will do."

Yes, the Overton's cover is $50 cheaper than the group buy price. Like I said, the Rankin is not cheap. I believe we've had an Overton's cover in the past (on our '88) and its held up fine. I am sure the workmanship on the Rankin is at least equal, if not better- I'll get back to you in 10 years with a definite answer, but its initial quality appears to be very good. With regards to fit, the Rankin is far superior.
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2007 at 10:53am
fawking azz clowns.

79, you didn't buy one. so what, let them discover and deal with whatever comes with buying whatever cover and using it how they want. It does not appear that Tim is misleading anybody. Common sense says don't lay up a boat wet or damp.

Just wait, the 88 is going to take down everybody this summer at GL, straight down to the bottom.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2007 at 11:09am
PLBC, not so hard on 79, just his colors coming out,his meds sometimes are not as effective during this time of the month.
He gets crabby and cries a lot......boat dr
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2007 at 11:48am
Sounds like they should make Sunbrella underwear, "after a heavy night of drinking Guaranteed to contain moisture yet breathable". Is there a Leopard Skin pattern available?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2007 at 1:40pm
nice one chris,

maybe they could treat the fabric with scank guard, for those night's out drinking where you waking up the next morning in a room you don't recognize
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2007 at 3:17pm
quinner,Speedo makes that pattern, and as an option it can be treated with the "skank guard treatment" this is available at a "small"{pun intended} fee........boat dr
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2007 at 6:37pm
I've bought 2 Overton's covers for my Skier. They're nice cover, but I can tell from the pictures that they are not as good as the Rankins.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2007 at 9:55am
I am defianately in on this buy. I ripped my cheapo cover about two months ago. I was going to go with Overton's cover at $50 cheaper especially since it covered the platform. However, for only $50 extra, I am going to give the famous Rankin cover a go. I think I still have the order form from the first group buy round.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 2:32pm
I spoke to Pat from Rankin Covers this morning. He confirmed that he only has CC templates back to '89. However, he indicated that he may be willing to create patterns for the older boats.

If anyone is local to the Seattle area and would be able to provide their boat so a template could be made, please shoot me an email: TRBenj@gmail.com

I have also submitted the first group of orders Rankin.

Thanks to everyone for their interest!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic