NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SURVEY - Original vs. Custom

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SURVEY - Original vs. Custom
    Posted: February-15-2007 at 9:11pm
I have noticed that the topic of whether or not to keep boats original or customize them has been a frequently debated topic on this site. Since its winter, and I have some free time on my hands, I thought I would conduct a “non-scientific” survey.

Let me start by saying, I am not trying to offend anyone and I know we could nit pick every possible scenario of why we would do one thing or another based on lots of different things. So for those who would like to indulge my curiosity I would like to put out a scenario and then ask you to answer a few questions.

Let’s see if there is a trend as to what people prefer.

SCENARIO: You buy a 35-40 year old Correct Craft from the original owner. The boat has normal wear and tear for its age. The boat is in good overall condition for its age. The engine runs good and has the number of hours on it in scale with its age. This is a production Correct Craft and has nothing unique on it. Many of these were made.

You get the idea – This is not a rare and unique Correct Craft. It’s a older Correct Craft with some wear and tear but in overall good condition.

1: Would you have to have it totally original no matter what or it wouldn’t matter, you could add or subtract anything to suit your needs?
2: Why do you prefer one over the other?
3: What is your age?
4: What is your occupation?
5: How would you describe your personality?

I’ll start…

1: Changes are ok
2: My thinking is I would be ok with changes. Changes are good. Technology gets better every year. A great idea can always be improved on
3: 48 years old
4: Semi-Retired/Part Time Boat Repair
5: Obsessive Compulsive
Scott
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2007 at 9:21pm
Scott: Awesome idea to help pa$$ a winter evening. Cold here-50's. Had to wear a long sleve shirt to ride the Harley Sunday.

Here goes:
Original (not surprised are ya?)

Who would want to change. The age of your boat is its personality just like a persons.

56 years young

Semi-retired

My personality...dunno..friendly..I hope.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2007 at 9:35pm
1) I'd keep it close to original

2) I would buy a boat that old for collecting, cruising, and just to enjoy the boat for what it was. I would not be buying it for skiing, wakeboarding, or modern utility, and therefore no reason to "make it modern." This is premised on the conditions you described.

3) 43

4) Manager, Pac N/W operations for a national computer infrastructure integration company.

5) You decide. I know one thing, I get mellower, the older I get.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2007 at 9:35pm
50's...cold! Ok, try -1 here in your home state. It's hard to breath.
Scott
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2007 at 9:37pm
1. change is sometimes for the better, no need to keep original,
2..common boat..not limited production, change to fit your style needs and wants
3. 25 years old
4. union sheet metal worker
5. always lookin for a good time
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2007 at 9:43pm
I'll jump in:

1. As close to original as possible.

2. I would want original because it helps me remember an era, a time, and the people that lived that way in that time. It's not just the boat, but the story of the boat, and that includes the people who built it and the people who enjoyed it.

3. 50--still runnning

4. Shepherd

5. There is always a way through and that way usually leads to water.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2007 at 9:51pm
Scott; I know...been talkin' to my buddies...C'mon down..guest room is open.

Chuck; Agree 101% on point #2.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 6:58am
Hey Scott... I'm In, How are you?
(1)The era I like begins in 70's through mid 80's
(2) I am in favor of original as possible. I love the lines and looks and the graphics. The problem with boats is, as with Correct Craft, the task of originality is basically impossible to accomplish. Unlike automobiles somethings just are not manufactured anymore. Art Cozier of South East Correct Craft said it this way regarding interiors, "They are like womens shoes, here today and gone tomorrow." I also am in favor of improvements in the industry such as composites over wood.
(3) Gas fired Pool and Spa heater sales and service... They call me Boom-Boom.
(4) 52 today
(5) Another had decribed me as intense which amused me.
Thanks for the survey I rarely undulge in them.
Finally, BKH hows the project boat?
hasbeenskier
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 7:41am
1. As close to original as possible.

2. I feel allot of thought went into the design of the boat at the factory. They would design a boat to appeal to the majority of peoples tastes. I want to maintain the cla$$ic looks.

3. 55

4. Plant Engineer, Metal stamping / fabricator

5. stodgy

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 8:03am
Hey Scott,
Had a minute to stop in today, so here's my comments:
I've come to relize I'm a 90% original guy.
If I threw a tower on mine, and used it in salt water, I'd get a lot more use out of it. But, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. So it gets used very little.
On the other hand, little tweaks here and there (like my redesigned back seat, a different carpet/upholstry ) are ok if well done.

Wow - 48 now

Engineering Mgr./Project Manager for a Contract Glazing Company in Boston.

Personality?
Looking for Fun Times!
Taking care of my family.
Sick of being cold - Wanting to retire, jump in the RV and head for the Keys!
SKI79PA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKI79PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 8:07am
1 I like the original correct crafts but i also like the newer stuff . I am haveing a hard time cutting my dash for a cdplayer ?? But i would like to put a system in my boat .

2. I like the Retro look that a lot of guys do with the 2001. But i am going to put the original paint work back on the 79 i just like the look.

3. 27

4. VP of ProTech Security Systems

5. Party
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 8:17am
1.As close to original in appearance as possible,things you can't see can be upgraded.

2.to get the looks and sound of cla$$ic inboard

3.49,old in the morning,get younger thru the day

4.Remodel specialize in total bathroom.Ever meet a women that didn't want a new bath?

5.Easy going realist

Thanks Munday
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 8:36am
1. As close to original as possible. Changes that are still time period correct are ok with me.

2. I didn't grow up on the water. Bought my first boat after college & thought that the ski boats of that era where so tough since I had what someone just out of college could afford. I guess I am holding on to that memory. The Correct Crafts are a hobby for me, like collecting cars. I have a newer Crownline to keep the wife happy.

3. 49

4. Own an architectural drafting service specilizing in architectural precast.

5. Grumpy middle age man.
Greg

86 BFN
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 8:37am
Chuck, you a sheep herder?
"the things you own will start to own you"
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 8:45am
HAPPY BIRTHDAY B.J
Scott
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 8:46am
Happy Birthday there hasbeen.

Project is slow. I only work on it here and there. Have floor and 98% of foam out. Some very rotten stringers. BKH
Livin' the Dream

The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 9:08am
BJ, happy birthday, I'm trying to catch up with you.

Munday, you are so right on the bathroom. I just helped my mother-in-law remodel hers and now my wife has ideas.

Eric, in a manner of speaking yes.

Brian, are are you going to do any work on the engine while its out?

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 9:50am
I like original however if you are using the boat primarily to ski as it was intended the cla$$ic/older Nautiques could use some help. Because our Nautique is almost exclusively used for skiing newer is better from a functional perspective, if the above scenario was my primary boat it would get a tower, bimini, heater, stereo, etc. to make it more functional as a tow boat, if it was a 2nd boat it would remain stock, maybe more power less muffler.

If it is a common model in average shape, chop it up however a rare model in any shape should remain stock in every aspect.

42 years old

Owner/Partner Architectural Engineering firm in Chicago

Some say I am launched; Family / Friends / Fun are big priorities..
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 9:55am
1. Outside /Inside should remain as close to original as possible.
2.Lot of newer boats here,the look the sound, sometimes Older is better
3.52 {happy B/Day bj 1954 was a good year]
4.The Boat Doctor,owner/12 yrs.
Mercury Master Tech.
Mercruiser Master Tech.
Yamaha Cert.
OMC Cert.
5.A.D.D. on AOL /Analog man in a digital world
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 10:10am
Sorry off topic.
Geez Quinner & Skicat,
Architectural Enginnering & Drafting co's.
Do either of you handle any Curtainwall work?
If so, drop me an email: smclean@karasgla$$.com
Although I hate talking about work on this site - May be able to do some work together sometime.
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 10:17am
Originally posted by scott8370 scott8370 wrote:

1: Would you have to have it totally original no matter what or it wouldn’t matter you could add or subtract anything to suit your needs?
2: Why do you prefer one over the other?
3: What is your age?
4: What is your occupation?
5: How would you describe your personality?

1. I'd say minimum of 95% original, however I can see custom/hot rodding if I have as many boats as reidp.
2. I like the history and to be able to see how things from the past have evolved.
3. 26
4. Student and Inventory/Retail
5. I do what I do and don't give a rat's a$$ what other people think. Mainly a plain dude that likes to differ from mainstream.
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 10:30am
1. Changes are ok, if they are subtle, gauges, steering wheel, interior pattern. No new "Air" graphics on an old ski boat...just looks tacky to me. BKH I understand completely how if you wree to purchase a boat like this it would only be for cruising, because you've already got a very nice "new" boat, But for me, I was 18 when i got my boat and it needs to be used for basically everything, so a little tweaking here & there to bring it up to date in some areas is acceptable.

2. I like original, but when someone makes modifications, as long as they're done "professionally" and look like they could belong on the boat originally, then i'm alright with it.

3. 21 yrs old

4. Full time student/ full time job

5. Wayyy younger then everyone else on here...

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 10:42am
Nate, you're not that far off. I believe CCHyperliteXXX or whatever is younger than you, as well as wakeboardin2k4.

1. Mostly original, depends on how much is already there to start with. Definitely don't do anything that can't be easily reversed (paint, holes).
2. As long as it's quality work, I can respect that. I like original however.
3. 23
4. Coordinator/Instructor
5. Free spirited, enjoy every bit of life
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 11:16am
f**k'm do what you want it's your boat, just remember it may be harder to sell once you make the changes if you you stray from orginal, Depending on the quality and what was done it can help or hurt quite abit.

engine modes, do what ever you want as long as it stay under the motor box.
interior just don't get crazy and install 20 speakers
exterior graphics/color be carefull you can kill the resale value in a heartbeat.

i'm an old bastard that has done product design for over twenty years. and don't f**king care what anyone thinks of me, will except what my sweety says.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 11:33am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

don't f**king care what anyone thinks of me, will except what my sweety says.

So what does quinner have to say about it???
Lake Horse View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lake Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 11:39am
1. Cla$$ic on the outside/Up to date on the inside(engine wise)
2. Cla$$ic has more meaning and attitude than some of these newer production boats.
3. 24
4. GIS Manager
5. Quiet but agressive
Lake Horse
76 Mustang

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 11:40am
Scott, good topic,with lottsa varied answers and opinions.As you can see most of us are all on the same page when it comes to the LOVE and Restoration of the old girls,but we always have those that stand on the outside,and hurl profanity like a spoiled brat.
Sure is nice to be a part of
Rather than apart from.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 11:45am
1. I personally prefer original, but actually agree with Chris that its your boat, do what you want. Also agree with Chris (getting kind of scary) that engine mods are ok. I like the idea of turning an innocent enough looking cla$$ic into a 50 mph plus monster...as long as, like Chris said, the mods are hidden under the hood.

(remember this one?..."egads")

2. I prefer the original cla$$ic for two reasons already cited above (a) I like the no-nonsense lines of the old boats, they were strictly business, not all swoopy and swirly, looking like family bowrider I/O wannabe's. and (b) the nostalgia of the old days. I grew up with a 66 Mustang and as far as I am concerned that was as good a boat as any. We've discussed before that the new boats are bigger, quieter, more comfortable, better wakes and on and on and on. But at the same time, how many of us are actually good enough skiers/riders that the boat actually affects our performance.

3. 52, sometimes going on 24, other times going on 74.

4. Environmental consultant

5. Old, stodgy, conservative, but like a good time out on the water. Young in spirit and can still out-ski and out-swim (masters competitor) many (but certainly not all)of my younger compadres.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 12:02pm
No sh*t Hollywood? you're only 23? i was thinking more along the lines of late 20's, i dunno whether that's a compliment or not, hahaha. yeah i guess i forgot about the other 'youngins'

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

...Young in spirit and can still out-ski and out-swim (masters competitor) many (but certainly not all)of my younger compadres.

Masters Competitor?... No sh*t?

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic