Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stringers, foam and more foam

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Gangster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gangster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stringers, foam and more foam
    Posted: February-19-2007 at 11:23pm

I just started working on the inside of my boat. 1st of all Ski Bum's thread, although scary to read at this point in my life, was incredible to read. I don't know if I'm capable of doing the same job but felt it had to be done. She would porpoise really bad with more than 3 people in her at anything over minimum cruising speed. At this point I've actually got all of the foam out, and the secondary stringers are out. I have many questions. 1st of which, I'm from Canada, does anybody know of a "U.S. Composites" in Canada? I know it sounds kind of dum but thought i'd give it a shot. And at one point in SkiBums thread somebody offered advise as too the type of resins that should be used?
Thanks alot.
Darren
76 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2007 at 6:35am
Gangster, I think it was me who recomended using epoxy for the structural work and polyester for the cosmetic / gel repair. The epoxys don't absorb water moisture like the polyesters do plus they are stronger. If you do use epoxy and then want to polyester / gel over it, a vinylester must be used between the two because the polyester won't stick to the epoxy. Skibum did run into problems with the vinylester curing and I don't think ever came up with a sound reason why and this was even after he talked to to US Composites guru.

Won't US Composites ship to Canada?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2007 at 7:20am
try fibergla$$ coatings out of St Pete Florida, I'll post the number today.
A good point... after you finish rebuilding a boat you dont leave them out in the rain and your very particular about wet ski vests and so on so you will never let it get to the point its at now, im sure you will take better care of it than the previous owners.
talk to suppliers that specialize in the products you will be using.
and let the itching begin.........
if you need some help also call me, I never hesitate to talk to someone from this site, Eric 330-273-8291
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2007 at 7:25am
Both US composites and fibergla$$ coatings are great places to start, Ive dealt with both in the past and found fiber coatings much more resonable on the pocketbook because this isnt a $10.00 fix
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2007 at 8:46am
FiberGla$$ Coatings
4301 34th st.North
St. Petersberg Fl.

727-327-8117 or 800-272-7890
michigan dave View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2007 at 9:32am
Often times shipping haz-mat out of the country is very expensive or unavailable.. I would start your search in the large cities closer to your home. There are many companies that sell fibergla$$ repair and building materials.
Some of which I am sure have outlets in Canada. Don't be bashful about asking for a discount. Your looking at several hundred dollars worth of material. Also resins formulated for the warmer climates of Florida might take forever to setup in our cooler climate. When working with epoxy resins, there are several strengths to consider. These depend on the mix ratio. Work with the salesman and give him the details of your project and he can recommend the product best for your application and environment. I have to have my shop at about 70 degrees to even consider a epoxy project.

This is where I get all my structural epoxy from. I have done a couple transoms with it as well as other repair.

http://www.hydropoxy.com/

Thats a very informative site read and learn.

dave
1984 Fish Nautique
351ci- 14x13 four blade acme
south haven mi.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2007 at 11:02am
Sounds like a road trip to the states, where are you located? maybe you could have them shipped somewhere close to the border and P/U
these materials can be very expensive if bought at the wrong place, I spoke with Megan at FiberGla$$ coatings and she may possibly discount to CCF people, or try Michigan Daves place
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2007 at 11:18am
Living in a border state and having experience in this, PLEASE do not try to transport hax-mat across the us/can. border without checking into the consequences. Once the questions start " do you have anything to declare" it will go down hill. You could loose your product, get fined, and loose your privilege of a return to the states. Post 2 or 3 large towns within a hundred miles or so of your home and I will help you find a distributor. then you can work them over for pricing and such. Shipment even within countries on this stuff is expensive.

Use a google search for fibergla$$ repair materials. and include your Provence.

Your answer lies within this list

http://www.ddave.com/mail.htm

dave
1984 Fish Nautique
south haven mi.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 7:20am
If a yank was to cross the border with it you may possibly have problems as i always did when i did work up there,
Now possibly a Canadian may not have problems with thier fellow countrymen on crossing
just a thought
Gangster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gangster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 7:19pm
Thanks for the help guys, I live an hour from the U.S. border - 2 hours west of Winnipeg, Manitoba. I bought the rub rail out of the U.S. and also some stuff from Skidim and the prices are good to start with. However by the time I pay shipping, duty, brokerage and taxes - ouch!! I've also bought alot of custom car parts the same way when I have no other choice. I definately want to buy the right stuff - even if it costs a premium. I don't want to have to do something over... I'll check out some of the websites - thanks again. Ended up diggin out 9 large bags of foam. I had good luck with a jiffy bar or claw bar, and under the bow I used a trenching shovel - worked awesome. More to follow. Thanks again everybody.
76 Ski Nautique
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 9:29pm
michigan dave where you located, can't say I remember if you have already posted this info.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

michigan dave where you located, can't say I remember if you have already posted this info.

south haven mi. on the shores of lake MI. east of kalamazoo. south of holland.

dave
1984 Fish Nautique
south haven mi.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 9:57pm
I know right where that's at Dave. Had a friend that lived in Grand Haven. We used to camp north of you at Ludington and go to Silver Lake to take the trucks on the dunes now that is fun.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

I know right where that's at Dave. Had a friend that lived in Grand Haven. We used to camp north of you at Ludington and go to Silver Lake to take the trucks on the dunes now that is fun.

Beatiful country guys, we vacation at Silver Lake every year for a family reunion. Do the dunes and brought the boat last year. My uncle lives about 2 blocks off the lake but has a canal behind his house that takes you out to the lake. We leave it tied up there all weekemd and just motor through the canal to the lake. Lots of campgrounds up there too. The family really loves that place.
Gangster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gangster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2007 at 11:29pm
Still haven't located a supplier in Canada - maybe I suck at searching the web? I did check out fibergla$$coatings.com and hydropoxy.com. Question. Why do the secondary stringers have the 1" foam center between them? Is it to save weight? Or some other reason? Also looking over ski-bum's thread - wishing I had a similar aluminum engine mount. Mine just has the 4 independant mounts. I'm a little nervous about getting things lined back up the way they're supposed to be?
76 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2007 at 7:44am
Gangster, they may put that foam in there for the extra witdh, go to off topic and look at the pictures on the foam removal topic and you'll see, you may want to consider running aluminum angle down the tops of the stringers and setting your mounts on top, if you used 1/4' you could take that up in the mounts
Eric
Gangster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gangster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2007 at 10:59am
Eric, that's a good idea with the aluminum ai. It's maybe no big deal, but I've always wondered about all of the engine torque applied to 4 lag bolts? If I bolted the mounts to the ai, then I could better fasten it to the stringers. Also since I'm replacing the stringers I could allow for the height of the aluminum. Is the best way to bolt things in - to predrill and fill the hole with epoxy? Then put the bolts back in?What's your experience in alligning the engine to the shaft? I did have a vibration - as well as a wicked porpoise when the boat was full. I'm going to take the shaft to a machinist friend. And I've got a copy of Get In Line. But I'm wondering where I should start. I realize I'm a long way from there - but the lake we go to doesn't warm up till July.. Here's a pic of her when I first got it. It wasn't very pretty.
76 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 3:21pm
The alignment takes 10 minutes or 10 hours, alot of patience is involved. torque really isnt a issue on boats the force is more of a pushing force forward into the back of the trans. those mounts are used on everything and if are into solid wood (no rot) they are safe. the torque your thinking of i think is the engine in a car where you have tires touching the ground and when you nail it the engine wants to twist, it does want to twist in a boat also but not to the extent of what you are thinking.
in the past I've also used "C" channel and through bolted them through the stringers which also will give you a clamping effect and then bolt the mounts to the c-channel, If your re-doing everything you can use longer lags and larger diameter lags with epoxy in the holes ( dont go thru the botttem of the boat) If you decide to use longer bolts make sure all of the wood is solid
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic