NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Advice requested for buying cla$$ic CC

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice requested for buying cla$$ic CC
    Posted: February-21-2007 at 1:35pm
Hi all.

All my life my family has had old wood Chris Craft inboards. While I love the woodies, I am looking for a less maintenance intensive cla$$ic fibergla$$ inboard, preferably something from the '60s. (just can't do a I/O and outboards are for fishin' IMHO)

I am going to check out a '60s CC in a few weeks and am looking for advise on some gotcha areas. How do I inspect the boat for structural integrity? How do I check the stringers for rot? The motor is original AMC 327. What should I look for? Any thoughts on the V-Drive?

I know this is a vague newbie question and I thank you for your help and patience.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 9:36pm
Raindog, Welcome and I'm sure you can find a cla$$ic gla$$ CC to suite your tastes. As far as what to be aware of, you may find the least amount of hardcore issues with this early mid-sixties vintage, as it predates foam floatation and the subsequent rotten stringers. However, these early gla$$ boats commonly had gelcoat crazing/cracking problems. So don't be surprised. But check the stringers for telltale signs such as the engine mount lag bolts backing out. If you can pull up floor boards and seat bottoms, try and do so to check structural condition. If they're original you've got a good find. The original wood seat bottoms may have the boat hull number stamped in them, such as PC 122, etc for a CC Cla$$ic model. The 327 Graymarine engine is/was great also. If it fires up and runs it's a good sign, but rarely do we expect to pick up a 40 year old boat and expect the engine to be bullet proof unless the guarantees it as such. Good luck and keep us posted.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2007 at 12:22pm
Thanks much Reid.

I expect some issues; however, I am trying to avoid getting to something beyond my abilities. This would include major structural work or stringer replacement (especially after reading SkiBum's outstanding thread.)

Are AMC 327 parts readily available at realistic prices? Does that motor use a generator or alternator?

Lastly, what is your opinion on a painted boat?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 7:26am
Parts for the AMC 327 are not a problem to find compared to the early 4 and 6 cylinder Grays. As far as costs go, it's hard to say because what is realistic to one person may not be to another. Don't know if this engine will be equiped with a alternator or generator as the early 60's is when they were switching. My 63 has a alternator. Keep in mind that the generators kept boats and cars running for many years before the alternators. The switch to a alternator is easy if you're not a purest like myself!! Good luck and hopefully it is in good shape.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 8:53am
Steve: Welcome! You are gonna enjoy it here. No matter if you pick up this boat or wait for the next, this is a great place to be. Post us some pics so we can help ya with the decision.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 11:53am
Thanks Everyone! I greatly appriciate the insight and support.

I'll post some pics and details after I take a look at her.

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 11:35pm
Raindog, welcome....

Ive got a couple of old rides..ones a 62 Higgins woodie...the other is the 64 'gla$$ Correct Craft-American Skier.

The 64 gets about as many looks as the woodies..gobs of fun to drive and most of these boats are still a bargain to buy!

Good luck and post some pics ...
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 11:41pm
How about pics of the Higgins progress?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2007 at 5:49am
Yes 62, what's going on with the Higgins?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2007 at 5:22pm
My family has a 1957 Chris Craft Sportsman 17', re-powered. I have been using this for the last 5 years with my wife and 3 young daughters.

Also, we have an 1957 Aristocraft 14' Torpedo outboard woodie that is nearly restored. Only the hardware needs to be refitted. This boat my Dad started to have restored but passed away in the process. www.aristocraftboat.com The castings on this boat are fantastic!

Sadly, both may be for sale this summer.

I love these boats but they are not practical for trailer use and the recreational needs of my family. But a Bayliner outboard just would not do, either (no offense...)

Oh yeah, I forgot. Since 1976, folks had a place on Big Green Lake, WI. If I get a boat in time, I'll definitely be at the reunion!

Sorry for going so far OT. Just introducing myself.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic