NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

steering questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: steering questions
    Posted: February-26-2007 at 1:23am
After working on Ryan's boat yesterday I realized I have an issue with my steering. It is stiff and rather hard to turn. I could turn Ryan's wheel with one finger, I need both hands to turn mine... So I started taking it apart today to figure out what the problem is. I think it is the cable but not sure. i took some pics of what I found:

I took it apart here to see if the rudder moves easily by hand, it does, real easy and smooth no play... greased the fitting until grease came out around the rudder.

This is really loose. should it be this way?

another shot of this thing

close up of cable at fitting

another pic of cable

what do you think? any suggestions?

9360SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9360SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 2:45am
Just change the steering cable will solve your problem,I just help my frien change his cable and become like new now.(before he need 2 hands and use milk power to turn ).
Go on wakeboard
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 7:55am
Randy, the white piece is called a steering clamp. It looks to be the same set up as my boat:

The 4 nuts/bolts clamping the cable should be tight. The ball joint is supposed to be loose- the clamp will pivot as the position of the rudder arm changes.

Since the rudder moves freely without the cable attached, it sounds like you could use a new cable.
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 8:40am
One time a friend brought his boat to the lake for weekend.The steering was near frozen.need to make it work,so we cut a piece of hose and clamped it around the outer sleeve,held it higher than steering box and filled it with atf.Then we installed a plug in the end of hose(Also clamped).Then we force the cable out,extended it into the atf,since this displaced some atf it was forced up the cable.Unclamped hose moved cable back in,refilled hose repeated 3 or 4 times and had atf coming out steering box.Cable was completly free no binds and still is.This was an I need it now deal for
shade tree fix, no doubt but worked.Given the time of year and boat its on I'd get a new cable.

Munday

82 Nautique 1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 12:56pm
Randy or others

I noticed the grease zirk in the Rudder Port. When did Correct Craft start doing this? I have a 1982 (No Zirk) I could drill tap and install myself. Is this a good idea or even needed?
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
JayG80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayG80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 4:08pm
It is a good idea to check the clamp box for wear. In 2003 the box wore out on my 1997 boat came off the pivot ball. My wife was driving around a turn island and pulling me out of the water at the time. I watched from the ski handle as the boat slid up on the shoreline.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 4:15pm
Jay, Thanks for the advice I will take it apart and check it for wear clean it up and re-grease it. That sounds like a bad situation to be in.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 4:57pm
i feel it's pretty much a waist of time to install the zirk fitting. Once your on your way the water pressure is going to wash out the rease anyway.

Also read the post correctly the ball of the clamp block broke not something on the rudder. The clamp block needs to be checked once in a while but you shouldn't see much movement during operation at that joint.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 5:53pm
trb hit the nail on the head.......nothing more to say, but order one from ski dim.they are 129.00...also randy you can get a cipa comp mirror like mine with all the mounting bracket for 87.00...i think theres a discount on either here or at planet nautique...there is cheaper ones out there but imo it seems to be the best from what i have seen..7"x14' convex is the size of it....skidims #is 1803-345-0996...i doubt anyones gonna beat their prices.or go online @www.skidim.com, and request a free catalog...i basically get everything from there when it comes to parts.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 6:12pm
use corretccraftfan.coms 10% discount off your order..even better randy 120 bucks and yoou will be on your way to powerslides!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 12:21am
I removed the cable tonight. I tied a rope onto the end before I pulled it through so I can tie it to the new one and pull it through.

The number on it is:
SSC12479 TELEFLEX USA20671

is this the same as part # SSC12419?

why does mine have 79 as the last two digits I thought this was the length? when I measure it from the end of the rack unit to the end of the cable it is 20 feet.

I found it here for $82.89.

I found it here for $101.58

also found on ebay new for $85

Are these the same cable?
9360SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9360SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 5:33am
Seems only # SSC12419 is the correct part no. 19' measure from end to the hub tooth.
Go on wakeboard
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 11:01am
Found this on how to measure steering cable:

How To Measure Steering Cable

So I measured the plastic part of the cable and came up with about 203" add 30" and get 233" which is 19.4' So according to this guide I should order a 20' cable. Sound right?

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 11:18am
Randy, take at the cable White Lake Marine sells. Youre right about the length: 19.5'. CC uses oddball cables that come in half foot increments and have longer throws (10" vs. 8"). If you go with a standard 19' or 20' cable with the standard throw, you'll lose some of your turning radius. You may also have to relocate your cable clamp so you can turn the rudder the same distance in both directions.

If you dont get the cable through a dealer, make sure you get the right part number.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 11:23am
If any of you guys get a chance, take a look at the tiller arm set up on a Malibu. What a laugh. The arm is much shorter and less heavy-duty. That probably accounts for the longer throw on the CC tillers.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 11:30am
a longer tiller arm requires more throw to turn the same amount as a shorter arm. Now the heavy duty part is a completely different story
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2007 at 12:33am
Thanks Tim, I called DIM to order it and Vince said the same thing. He said to order it from a dealer 19.5'. Called my local dealer and they wanted over $200 for it. Same thing at White Lake Marine for $169. Also got 10% off with the Planet Nautique discount code (PND).
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2007 at 10:23am
I replaced the steering cable. Wow, what a difference! I can turn it with one finger and all the play is gone.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2007 at 10:49am
make sure you got it adjusted right, if it comes out to far one way it wont pull back in then you'll be stuck in the middle of lake doing circles plus its a big safety issue,
Boat doc got it adjusted correctly the right cable is installed

center your steering wheel and make sure your rudder is straight Randy, then go port and starboard and make sure its not binding
"the things you own will start to own you"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2007 at 11:16am
Eric,

I think it's all good. I clamped it at the same place on the travel tube where it was. When the wheel is centered the rudder is straight. turns smoothly...
9360SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9360SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2007 at 10:06pm
Congrat! I want to replace my 01SAN's cable that I feel 30% hard .
Go on wakeboard
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2007 at 10:40pm
what?????????????.....30%hard.....you feel 30% hard right now?
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2007 at 11:18pm
Ryan,

Richard's ok. I've read his posts over on planetnautique. Not a lot of parts or service help over in Hong Kong. With lots of hours, and running it in salt, he's taken apart darn near the whole boat, and he's rebuilt many parts that we'd probably just replace here. Sounds like his steering is getting the best of him now, and I'm pretty sure he's estimating that the steering is 30% too stiff. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 12:02am
I bet those cables don't hold up well in salt.

One suggestion I would make... if I did this again I would have used tape to secure the nut that fastens the cable to the travel tube to the end of the cable while fishing it through the hull. problem I had was once i had the cable fished through the nut was still in the front of the boat!

tying a rope to the end of the old cable before pulling it out made pulling the new one through a lot easier.

9360SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9360SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 5:44am
Let me explain clearer about 30 % hard,: if new cable performance 100% well,my 6 years old cable feel not as new since some friction developed,not too bad! 30% is estimate value compare to new,my friend's 05 Malibu change the cable less than a year use! that is an extraordinary case.
Go on wakeboard
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 10:40pm
Damn. After reading here, I have to replace my cable.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 11:02pm
Hey Dude!

You probably need a friend or Mrs. Dude to help. I think it would be hard to do by yourself. About $150 for the part and an hour or two time. I am glad I took care of it. I have a little more buffing and a couple other odds and ends to do and I should be ready for summer!
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 2:33pm
Randy, that's great that you're nearly ready! You've worked hard this winter. I hope you have a great summer.

I replaced my cable on my Supra once, so I'm not super worried about it. This winter I took the cable off the rudder and the rudder moved without any problems...smooth. I greased up the cable and hooked it back up...it's still tight. So, following a couple others and now your experience I'm probably going to replace it. My kids have been complaining about how tough it is to turn.   
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 4:54pm
randy -when your done with yours you can do mine!!
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 4:55pm
wow i just realized that sounded bad....when your done buffing out your boat you can buff out my boat!.better now
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic