NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

steering questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2009 at 10:09am
Karl,
The cable is one of the few things that is a proprietary part made for CC. Maybe another dealer would have one.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Boardboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boardboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2009 at 1:25pm
Thanks for taking the time to try to help.
I plan on going down the list today.
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2009 at 1:43pm
Wow, this thread brings back memories...

Did you try calling White Lake Marine?

Boardboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boardboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2009 at 5:52pm
Based on my review of this thread from before I did call White Lake. They spent some time trouble shooting with me and determined it was the cable. Just got back from Southeast Marine(previuosly correct craft and they said it was busted internally. So I definitely need a cable.
It is a cc5201 19.5 ft. cable. If any body finds one I would be beholdin. Correct craft,Southeast marine and nautiques of orlando are all back-ordered. Thanks.
Boardboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boardboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2009 at 2:47am
Found the cable from a Correct Craft dealer who had one. After loosening the nut by the cable box in the back of the boat and loosening the 4 bolts holding the cable to the steering gears up front, any tips on pulling the old cable out and re-installing the new one? Do I need to add new grease to the tube before I insert the new cable?
The cable was never binding but appears to have snapped internally. Probably one too many powerturns!
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2009 at 2:56am
Just tie a rope or sturdy string the the cable, and pull it out one way, tie the rope or string the new cable and pull it back the other way.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2009 at 12:54pm
Like Brian said, tie a rope to it to help guide the new one. It will be a lot easier if you have a helper. I don't think you need to add any grease to the tube, maybe to the zerk fitting on the rudder and a little on the pivot point of the steering clamp.

Boardboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boardboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2009 at 3:04pm
Thanks a lot guys. I'll give it a shot.
Boardboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boardboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2009 at 12:43am
Everyone. Finished installing the steering cable and it went pretty well. Thanks for all your help. The only catch was that initially it would not pull through the steering tube so I could remove it so I had to loosen the steering clamp and take the cable out with the tube. Once we got the cable out, we had to work the tube off the cable because it was corroded from when the boat was in salt water.
We got it off, cleaned up the tube and then installed the new cable. The Correct Craft back-order problem seems to be over as well as after a dealer in Melrose sent me a cable the next day Correct Craft called and said the 19.5 foot steering cables were in. In the process, more than one dealer said they had used a 20ft. cable with no problems. Special thanks to Woodie at Southeast and Tommy at White Lake for helping me through
some install issues along the way. Thanks again.
gannable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gannable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 7:27pm
So it is July and CC still says the cables are back ordered from Teleflex with no relief in site. In the mean time I can't use my boat!! I've checked around non CC shops to see if I could get a replacement cable but they only sell model SSC 12419, not SSC 12479. Any idea if that generic version would work?

Thanks!
Dave Davies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2009 at 2:26pm
when replacing or fixing your old steering I drilled and tapped into the sleeve just after the black cable sheath installed fitting which I injected chain saw oil this freed the steering and I oil as required also used a rubber boot between tiller and cable to keep out bilge water. Ihave fixed many cables without buying new hope this helps people to repair their steering.
Dave Davies
skier12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skier12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2009 at 12:36pm
The same cable you put in your 93 sport for $169 is now on the white lake website for $278. That's up about $110 from the beginning of this thread. Any chance the price will come down? Are these cables still being produced?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic