Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cant get the crank hub bolt out

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cant get the crank hub bolt out
    Posted: March-01-2007 at 4:15pm
Some of you read my thread about breaking the timing chain, well i've started tearing down the front of the motor to replace it. I cant seem to get the crank hub bolt off because the motor just keeps turning over when i wrench. I tried putting the trans in gear but that obviously didnt work. I need some way to stop the motor so i can take this bolt off.
96 Camaro SS #1157
84 Ski Nautique, fat sacks, fly high pole
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2007 at 4:18pm
Are you using an impact gun?
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2007 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Are you using an impact gun?
no because the ski pole is in the way, i tried to loosen the nuts for the pole but the bolt starts to spin
96 Camaro SS #1157
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2007 at 4:45pm
I would think that is gonna be a tough one without the impact gun. Could you possibly get a strap wrench around the balancer to hold it? Not sure if that will work and then you still have a problem tourqing it back down when re-installing. I'd work on that pylon again.

You could pull the tranny and try to hold the crank in place from that end but it's probably easier to pull the motor.

Here's another thought for you, do you have enough room to get a puller on the balancer even if you do get the bolt out or is the pylon still in the way?
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2007 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

I would think that is gonna be a tough one without the impact gun. Could you possibly get a strap wrench around the balancer to hold it? Not sure if that will work and then you still have a problem tourqing it back down when re-installing. I'd work on that pylon again.

You could pull the tranny and try to hold the crank in place from that end but it's probably easier to pull the motor.

Here's another thought for you, do you have enough room to get a puller on the balancer even if you do get the bolt out or is the pylon still in the way?
The thing is the bolts just spin when i turn the nut on the pylon, arent the bolts part of the boat? I cant seem to get my hand to the back of the bolt.
96 Camaro SS #1157
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2007 at 4:52pm
I hate to say it but put a breaker bar on it and try hitting the breaker bar with a deadblow hammer or equivalant, that acts like a impact, i use heat(propane or mapp) on the bolt in case there is locktite on it but you have to be careful with the heat, worse case remove starter and lock flywheel, even worse case remove engine
"the things you own will start to own you"
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2007 at 4:54pm
ok two ways of doing it, the first the postion of the wrench makes a hugh difference. Also can't remember if it has left hand threads or not so you might try turning it the other way.

method one is with a long breaker bar or ratchet and you have to have the wrench handle at just before 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock and that will help direct the torque to the bolt and not spin the crank.

The second is a little easier. get two old bolts and screw them into the holes used to mount the pulley then use a long pry bar against them to keep it from turning.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2007 at 4:55pm
The bolts are supposed to spin, they are loosening. Nothing to hold on the other side as far as I know, atleast not on the '88 thought it was the same since '80. It's a giant clamp, think of it as two horizontal C-clamps one on top of the other. Then remove the bolt/nut at the bottom through the female cup. Pole should slide out nicely.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2007 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

The bolts are supposed to spin, they are loosening. Nothing to hold on the other side as far as I know, atleast not on the '88 thought it was the same since '80. It's a giant clamp, think of it as two horizontal C-clamps one on top of the other. Then remove the bolt/nut at the bottom through the female cup. Pole should slide out nicely.

There should be nylon lock nuts on the back side and you while have to reach in the inspection cover by the battery box to get to them but you really don't need to do all that if you just screw in two bolts into the harmonic balance and use a pry bar against them. Don't make the job harder than it all ready is.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2007 at 5:10pm
***Edit*** I'll let the pics do the talking twinkle fingers.

This is SkiBum's cradle, notice no "V" welded in, I don't know the exact specs throughout the years. What the '84 cradle looks like I don't know, should be similar.

wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2007 at 5:21pm

loosened the 4 bolts, i thought they were u-bolts at first, took out the bolt and nut at the bottom but i cant get the pole to come out, tried hammer, wiggling, and prying at the bottom
96 Camaro SS #1157
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2007 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

There should be nylon lock nuts on the back side and you while have to reach in the inspection cover by the battery box to get to them but you really don't need to do all that if you just screw in two bolts into the harmonic balance and use a pry bar against them. Don't make the job harder than it all ready is.
I was scared to do that thinking i might break them, but ill give it a shot
96 Camaro SS #1157
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2007 at 5:27pm
Kevin I'll give you that one the one that I saw had bolts and not u-bolts, didn't even have the side braces either.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2007 at 5:30pm
Chris, I threw in the disclaimer that I don't now what the '84 one is exactly. Just doing a little "armchair engineering" here based on the '88. Either way, loosen the clamp however it needs to be done, remove pin and the thing should come out.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2007 at 5:37pm
I agree but even f you get the bolts and pin out it still will catch on the floorboards some as well. might try twisting it a little back and forth as you pull out on it.
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2007 at 6:02pm

I agree but even f you get the bolts and pin out it still will catch on the floorboards some as well. might try twisting it a little back and forth as you pull out on it.
It's ok i used your method and got the bolt out / Got the cover off, the chain didnt break but the cam gear is . Do you guys have a list of all the sizes of the timing cover bolts b/c mine are pretty rusty and some are shot.
96 Camaro SS #1157
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2007 at 6:12pm
I just took the pylon out of the 82. There were four bolts and nuts clamping the pylon into the aluminum bracket. Not the U bolts as Hollywood depicted above. The nuts on mine were nyloc. You can reach through the bilge hole in front of the motor box and get a wrench on them. It will probably take two people. One to reach through the bilge hole and one on the bolt end near the motor. There's also a small bolt through the pylon/floor receiver at the bottom. I had to twist the pylon pretty good as it was rusted in at the bottom assembly. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2007 at 6:12pm
just order a set of S/S ARP's from summit or Jeg's. They'll have a listing for bolt kits for teh timing cover.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2007 at 6:14pm
don't frget you have to drop the front of the oil pan a little to get the timing cover off and a couple of the pan bolts screw into the cover it's self.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2007 at 6:23pm
wannabeSS,

How many hours on the motor? I've seen chains stretch but never busting a gear like that. Especially on these boats where the prop never breaks free. That seems a little odd to me.
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2007 at 6:47pm

wannabeSS,

How many hours on the motor? I've seen chains stretch but never busting a gear like that. Especially on these boats where the prop never breaks free. That seems a little odd to me.
700 on the boat, all the teeth on the gear are worn off and a lot are chipped. I went to advance auto and it was a little difficult to find the right gear, but they are getting one transferred to the store. how do you guys usually buy motor parts for these?
96 Camaro SS #1157
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2007 at 6:59pm
is this the right bolt kit? it's from jegs

070-454-1504      SB-Ford Stainless Hex
96 Camaro SS #1157
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2007 at 7:09pm
I don't know if I would have bought it from advance, but I wouldn't have just bought the gear only and would have got both gears and a chain as a set. A lot of the gears are actually nylon not all but alot, doesn't really suprize me it striped the gears once one or two go the rest go quickly.

I'll have to look for the bolt kit. Should be the right one.
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2007 at 7:44pm

I don't know if I would have bought it from advance, but I wouldn't have just bought the gear only and would have got both gears and a chain as a set. A lot of the gears are actually nylon not all but alot, doesn't really suprize me it striped the gears once one or two go the rest go quickly.

I'll have to look for the bolt kit. Should be the right one.
I didnt buy the gear, i bought a new chain and they ordered the gear so i can compare and see if it's the right one. if i were to buy it from jegs or something, would it just be a 351 timing set?
96 Camaro SS #1157
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2007 at 7:55pm
go to NAPA and get it there and ask if they have a roller timing chain and gear set and ask if they have more than one brand to select from and get the one that cost a little more and is a brand name like speed pro, clevite, sealed power. get the NAPA brand if you have too or the others are too much cash.

I never trust the guys at autozone, advance, o'riely's most can't find their a**hole let alone parts. NAPA, CARQUEST or a mom and pop parts store are much safer then most of the national chains, besides unless you ask for name brand parts at autozone/advance and the like, your going to get the cheapist crap on the market.

If I Buy parts from one of those stores I'm going and asking for a specific brand and part number and never let them look it up.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2007 at 9:40pm

I was surpised to see the gear set that came off my motor had nylon gears. Cheap piece of crap. I'm a firm believer that these motors need a timing chain set at 700 hours.   I got a double roller cloyes set at summit for about $40.
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2007 at 8:32am

I was surpised to see the gear set that came off my motor had nylon gears. Cheap piece of crap. I'm a firm believer that these motors need a timing chain set at 700 hours.   I got a double roller cloyes set at summit for about $40.
Did the double roller fit w/o cutting the cover? I know on my camaro motor i had to remove some material to fit the DR.
96 Camaro SS #1157
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2007 at 8:37am
Mine has a double roller and I didn't have to change or modify the cover to get it to fit.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2007 at 8:55am

Mine has a double roller and I didn't have to change or modify the cover to get it to fit.

Same here.
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2007 at 11:41am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Same here.
good news, but ALSO i went to NAPA and they had the set so im going to buy it
96 Camaro SS #1157
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic