Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I have bit the Bullet!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
JR_VIC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR_VIC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2007 at 9:12pm
Getting Closer...man this project has been alot of work.

"That's not a Snow Cone that's my Ring!"
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 7:18am
Man, that's detail beyond me. The colors are outstanding. The polished intake, billet pulleys, even a chrome bracket for the fuel filter. Very nice.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 9:17am
Simply gorgeous. Even the the fuel/water seperator bracket is chromed!

Did you have the valve covers painted/powdercoated red? I didnt think they were available in that color. Very nice detail work all around.
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 9:22am
Sweet!
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
JR_VIC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR_VIC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Simply gorgeous. Even the the fuel/water seperator bracket is chromed!

Did you have the valve covers painted/powdercoated red? I didnt think they were available in that color. Very nice detail work all around.

Thanks for all of the comments I appreciate it. Tim...yes I had the valve covers powder coated the same as the other parts. It is a Dupont Red with illusion pearl in the powder. Has alot of flake in it you can see when the sun hits it.

Almost done!

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 10:06pm
I just feel compelled to say something as I love an engine as much or more than anyone, but you guys have already said it all. My hat's off to you J.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2007 at 1:49am
WOW..that looks fast just sitting there, you may want to go with a bigger fuel pump to feed those awsome heads, holley and carter make good marine pumps, and you can go one size bigger with your fuel line, it will help alot on your mid range and top end!! I like what you did to valve covers, is that paint or powder coat?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2007 at 9:24am
Originally posted by MaddMarxx MaddMarxx wrote:

I like what you did to valve covers, is that paint or powder coat?

Originally posted by JR_VIC JR_VIC wrote:

I had the valve covers powder coated the same as the other parts. It is a Dupont Red with illusion pearl in the powder. Has alot of flake in it you can see when the sun hits it.

Even the carb bowls... awesome! I cant wait to hear how it runs.
JR_VIC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR_VIC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2007 at 10:07am
Originally posted by MaddMarxx MaddMarxx wrote:

WOW..that looks fast just sitting there, you may want to go with a bigger fuel pump to feed those awsome heads, holley and carter make good marine pumps, and you can go one size bigger with your fuel line, it will help alot on your mid range and top end!! I like what you did to valve covers, is that paint or powder coat?

I am going to hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the dash so I can monitor it as I run it wide open. Cam Research told me they have a small block Ford that they made 685 Horsepower on only 3 PSI from the fuel pump which I was surprised. Alot of Mustangs came with 1/8" fuel lines but the 351W Pro Boss comes with 3/8" fuel lines which from what I have learned is good up to 450 horsepower so for now I am going to try it like it is because I am under 450 HP.

The valve covers are Dupont Red powder coat with illusion pearl powder mixed.

Thanks again for the comments!

Thanks!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2007 at 10:51am
Truely top notch work and planning, hats off.

-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JR_VIC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR_VIC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2007 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Truely top notch work and planning, hats off.

-Joe.

Thanks...there was some planning to it and I ended up getting carried away with the powder coating guy.

I got it running on Friday and did the cam break in all seems well with one exception. I did a lake test this afternoon and the only issue I am having is on the port side Hi Teks I have a little tick and seems to be a small exhaust leak on number 7 cylinder. The port side headers on these AFR heads were very difficult to bolt up. Starboard side bolted up no problem but the Port side was a pain. I used brand new PCM gaskets and I can not get the header bolts any tighter. Has anyone used any type of exhaust manifold sealer of some type? I have never used any before and it is probably not the best way to go about it but again these are new gaskets and the header bolts are as tight as they are going to get. On the original OEM GT40 heads the Port side bolted up much easier. The lake today was a little rough and I had my family with me so I was not able to do any high speed runs but the throttle response is amazingly crisp and revs very fast. In a long no wake zone you can feel the cam a little more than the stock cam but nothing bad. Overall ran great. Next week I am going to try and go out and do a full out high speed run and hole shot to see how it performs. Happy Memorial Day!

Thanks!

JR_VIC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR_VIC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2007 at 12:31am
I am probably going to have to go to a high quality header gasket designed more for the shape of these new AFR heads...that is probably the issue with the leak.

Thanks!
Lorenr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lorenr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2007 at 1:56pm
Use orange (high temp) silicone sealer and seal the gasket to the exhaust manifold.

Do not over tighten those screws to aluminum heads or you will be installing heli-coils. 25-35 foot pounds is plenty. Use studs if you can.

Thanks again for the help on the Pro Tech ignition.
Lorenr
JR_VIC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR_VIC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 4:42pm
Update...I got the exhaust leaks fixed. I have been advised to gasket port/match the exhaust manifold gaskets to the new AFR heads which I did. I used a high speed dremel tool so I would not bend the metal such as could happen with a box cutter etc. I quess that is what caused the leaks. All the cuts were clean with no gouges or burs but it still leaked. I contacted AFR and they recommended a special Fel-Pro gasket and also added a small amount of Ultra High temp Orange silicone around the ports and now I have no problems or leaks so all is well.

On the performance side, I was feeling conservative so I upped my jetting to do a high speed run with the new cam and AFR heads. I upped the fronts to 69 and 80's in the rear just to be extra safe for my first run. That was a mistake...boat only pulled the exact same RPM's as before which was 5250 but lost 2 MPH with a new top speed of 50.5. Up top it did not feel as crisp either. I unfortunately did not have a chance to do a plug chop but will try on Friday. I am going back to 67 front and 76 in the rears and give it another run. Cam Research still guestimates that 80's in the rear for a 600 CFM Holley is way too much fuel especially since I lost 2 MPH. They feel that rear jet combination on a 600 CFM Holley is too much fuel. We shall see...

Thanks!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 6:40pm
I guess there is something to that argument after all. Did Cam Research say that 67/76 might be a good starting point? Gottaski's recommendation was to start with a seperation of 6 jet sized front to rear and go from there. Im thinking of starting somewhere from 67-69 in the front and 73-75 in the rear. (Clearly my 72/82 F/R is not even close.)

At least you erred on the side of too rich, which is safe. Im sure that thing will be running great in no time!
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 6:56pm
my carb is a little different in that I don't have the rear metering plate but I do run 68 or 69's dont' remember exactly but it was three sizes over the 66's which where stock from what I remember.

You guys keep making me feel good, you have done all this stuff and are still a little lower on the numbers than mine and I haven't even changed my heads to the high compression big valves yet. 51.9 gps 5000k loaded 5500 by myself
JR_VIC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR_VIC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 8:00pm
[QUOTE=TRBenj] I guess there is something to that argument after all. Did Cam Research say that 67/76 might be a good starting point? Gottaski's recommendation was to start with a seperation of 6 jet sized front to rear and go from there. Im thinking of starting somewhere from 67-69 in the front and 73-75 in the rear. (Clearly my 72/82 F/R is not even close.)

Actually before with the stock cam and GT40 heads the carb had (from memory) 66 in the front and 74 in the rear. Cam Research said for my boat go with that first and try it. I will try the 67/76 combo now then the a 66 or 67 front 74 rear combo and see how that responds.

Thanks!
JR_VIC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR_VIC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

my carb is a little different in that I don't have the rear metering plate but I do run 68 or 69's dont' remember exactly but it was three sizes over the 66's which where stock from what I remember.

You guys keep making me feel good, you have done all this stuff and are still a little lower on the numbers than mine and I haven't even changed my heads to the high compression big valves yet. 51.9 gps 5000k loaded 5500 by myself

51.9 is strong with your set-up. You can imagine after this money and work I looked down at 50.5 MPH and before I was at 52.5 MPH which was deflating but that is carb tuning for you. Heck I may even try a slightly larger carb like a 650 CFM after this to see if it adds any low and/or top end. Talk to you soon.

Thanks!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 8:05pm
might try a double pump 650cfm
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 8:41pm
I just picked up 715 duel feed!
JR_VIC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR_VIC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 10:10pm
For the last several months I have been researching marine carbs a little. Most Marine carbs out there that I have found seem to be geared toward the Big Block engines in Formula speed boats etc. The one carb that I did find that has additional idle tuning features, electric choke, vacum secondary, PVC port in the base plate, power valve blow out protection, and completely USCG legal is the Demon 650. I may give it a try to see how it compares to the Holley.

Another thing, I have talked to a couple different companies about an Air Fuel ratio set-up. It would be almost impossible because they tell me that what happens is the first issue is that once the O2 sensor gets hot and any liquid (water/coolant) touches it, that can ruin the sensor permantly. Not when it is cold, just after it gets hot. Besides that, if it was near the water exit in the exhaust stream the reading would be inaccurate as well. A division of Dynojet that makes O2 systems told me they tested a system on a Bravo Big Block in a Formula boat and the only way it worked was to tap into one of the rear cyclinder header pipes before it goes up into the water jacketed area near the cylinder head. They actually welded bungs into all 8 header pipes right near the cyclinder and tested all 8 pipes individually and recorded the reading in a data logger. They said the rear cylinder is the best to monitor if you can only get one cylinder. Obviously this is not picking up the other 3 cylinders on that bank but it was a little more reliable compared to plug chops etc. and they felt more accurate. I looked at my Hi Teks and I am not comfortable that I could weld an O2 bung in there. The bungs are a minimum of 1" in diamater and that is barley enough. Plus, I am not sure how far that O2 sensor protrudes up into the exhaust cavity. Probably overkill but a few guys that I know that have O2 Air Fuel ratio monitors love them. One has a carbed motor and the other is fuel injection. They both have data loggers and will record about 15 miutes of data. They run the engine hard for 10-15 minutes, grab the laptop, it down loads the data in a graph form relative to RPM's and Air Fuel ratio, then they make changes based on jetting etc. Run the engine again, download the data etc. One also has an Air Fuel ratio gauge on the dash. Dynojet recommends a safe ratio of 12:1. It would be cool to be running across the lake and have a gauge displaying the real time Air Fuel ratio. Also has an alarm that activates a warning light, siren, or can cut the igntion if it suddenly goes lean. So you are running at 5,000 RPM and the gauge shows 12:1 Air Fuel Ratio and all of the sudden it goes lean and the ratio goes out of whack, instant alarm and shut her down. That sounds like a very cool and precise way to tune a carb. If I get a wild hair and ever try it I let you guys know.

Thanks!
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 10:34pm
JR VIC that's a sweet looking set up your running there.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2007 at 8:13am

Chris, remember that youre not exactly comparing apples to apples here- your boat is 21" shorter, 15" narrower and is 200 pounds lighter. Also, the 90+ boats dont run nearly as nose-high as the older ones, so we have a lot more wetted surface to overcome. It will take a lot more power to push our hulls into the 50's.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2007 at 11:41am
Jr vic. I have a 625 speed demon on my 400 horse 67 plymouth satellite. It is a mildy built 360 with stock heads, bigger valves and the carb is amazing. Bolted it on and the mixture is perfect and throttle response exceptional. Cranks and fires imedatly and will start with ease in 9 degree weather with no choke. Id say the demon marine carb would be a welcome upgrade to your setup. That motor looks great and I bet it sounds killer.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2007 at 1:21am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Chris, remember that youre not exactly comparing apples to apples here- your boat is 21" shorter, 15" narrower and is 200 pounds lighter. Also, the 90+ boats dont run nearly as nose-high as the older ones, so we have a lot more wetted surface to overcome. It will take a lot more power to push our hulls into the 50's.

Don't forget we both use the same prop just different tranny's too, just wait in a couple of week I should have the head swaped out and new numbers for you to catch up too as well.
JR_VIC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR_VIC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2007 at 4:42am
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Jr vic. I have a 625 speed demon on my 400 horse 67 plymouth satellite. It is a mildy built 360 with stock heads, bigger valves and the carb is amazing. Bolted it on and the mixture is perfect and throttle response exceptional. Cranks and fires imedatly and will start with ease in 9 degree weather with no choke. Id say the demon marine carb would be a welcome upgrade to your setup. That motor looks great and I bet it sounds killer.

Thanks for the props on the motor. No good news to report on the carb tuning. Went back down in jets to a 67 front and 76 rear. Bottom end had a slight hesitation but after it warmed up good it went away. Top end I picked up about 500 RPM to 5300 RPM but speed only picked up to 50.8. I am now 500 RPM ahead of the last engine set up but about 1.7 MPH slower. Does not make sense. Timing is at 12 BTDC but I did find a plug wire that the internal clip was flimsy and broke when I pushed it down further on the spark plug.

One thing that did happen is at top speed after about 15 seconds it popped thru the carb. Not a backfire just a slight pop. I was always told that means lean or running out of fuel. I did a plug chop and pulled number 1 and number 8 and they have some color which is good. I am now thinking I may be running out of fuel in the rear secondary bowls and that made it pop. It must be carb related. I am thinking maybe this new head and cam combo up top is starving for more CFM on the top side. I think it is 650 Demon time.

Anyone have any other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2007 at 8:03am
maybe a shade higher on the rear float?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2007 at 8:41am
Unless you changed props in there somewhere your not running more rpms and less mph than the last engine which was heavier than the current engine, well unless you had a winter like me where you gained some significant weight. What type of measuring devices are we working with here?

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2007 at 11:01am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Unless you changed props in there somewhere your not running more rpms and less mph than the last engine which was heavier than the current engine, well unless you had a winter like me where you gained some significant weight. What type of measuring devices are we working with here?

My thoughts exactly.

I would get your ignition wire issues sorted out first. Weak/inconsistent spark on one cylinder cant be helping performance.

I assume youre running 93 octane? I believe your CR to be ~9.5:1, is that correct? If so, Id say your timing is fine.

The hesitation down low is strange. Thats one thing I havent experienced with my ultra-rich setup.

Im not convinced you need a bigger carb. My understanding is that a carb thats too small may restrict the motor, but it wont cause driveability problems (hesitation, popping). On the contrary, it may actually improve low end power. I say get your current set up dialed in first before swapping in a new Demon.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2007 at 9:29pm
Jeff, I shared the results of downsizing my jets in another thread- performance definitely improved. I went all the way down to 68/70 (front/rear) and still dont have any of the driveablity problems youre experiencing- no lean pops or hesitation. It makes me think perhaps you should be looking for another culprit, expecially with the new Demon carb. Perhaps a batch of bad gas, or maladjusted timing?

By the way, have you considered raising your throttle bracket? I made a piece that brought mine up 2" so the throw is nice and level with the taller Stealth intake. It likely doesnt have anything to do with the problems youre seeing, but it might not hurt to look at either.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic