NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Received my Rankin cover...

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Received my Rankin cover...
    Posted: March-05-2007 at 12:16pm
and let me be another to tell you that this is one high quality cover. I was amazed at teh detail work and especially the extra thick padding used at stress points like the corner of the windshield, etc. Although I have not yet fitted the cover to the boat, it looks like it will take a bit of thought to figure it out. Rankin should send instructions. For instance the box included what looks like mini sewing spools that are to be screwed into place somewhere. Not thrilled about this idea and hope it is optional. Also, the cover has large steel hooks sewn into the cover that I can only assume hooks under the rub rail? What I can say is that the $100 premium over the Sunbrella covers offered by Overton's is probably money well spent. I will update this post once I fit the cover...as time allows.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2007 at 12:27pm
David, the hooks grab under the rubrail. I have still not figured out the exact procedure for threading the ratcheting drawstring mechanism on the back but the fit and finish of my cover is top notch. I don't know what the "sewing spools" could possibly be. Mine did not come with those. I'm curious as to what the metal D rings on the rear straps (all 5 straps) are for.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2007 at 12:28pm
see david spells teh the same way I do

cool post some photo's when you can.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2007 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

I'm curious as to what the metal D rings on the rear straps (all 5 straps) are for.

Joel, I may know what those are for. Back when I told Rankin I didnt have a rear grab handle to secure the rear straps to, they said they would supply some D-rings. I presume these would be mounted on the boat and used to tighten the straps.

I have no intention of drilling into my boat, so I wont be using them like that. Ill either put the straps through the slats in the platform or attach them to the lifting rings somehow.

David, glad to hear the cover shipped out so fast. I would love to see pics of it installed as well- I havent gotten the chance to put mine on yet.
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2007 at 12:53pm
I still haven't put mine on yet either. I was kind of confused about the straps also, if you look at the pictures of the yellow Malibu in Tim's Original Post you can see how it ties in the back.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2007 at 12:58pm
I wonder if Rankin sent me the "spools" to use with the extra fabric I ordered to cover the swim platform. Maybe they intended for me to mount the spools to the bottom side of the edge of the platform (something I would do). My cover has the D-ring straps. Cannot secure through the platform as it is solid. I do have the grab rail and lift rings and that is it in the back to strap to.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2007 at 1:15pm
David, I just sent this pic to Joel but Ill share it here too. I dont have a grab handle in the rear, so I have nothing on the boat to attach my straps to. Id like to be able to put the cover on when the platform is off, so Im thinking about doing something like this:

This set up would have the D-rings mounted to some sort of solid bar (metal or wood?), which the straps could be attached to. Some ropes and clips going to the lifting rings would hold the bar in place. This is just a rough idea as I havent even test fit my cover yet- but Im not drilling any holes in my transom!

Im not sure what the spools are for- this is the first Ive heard of them. Ill put a call in to Rankin.

Edit: Just got off the phone with Pat from Rankin. It was a little tough to picture what he was telling me regarding the spools and D-rings, as I havent actually seen them. It sounds like they can sometimes be used in conjuction to get tension on the cover. I believe he said that you want to create the tension first (with the straps) and then tighten the drawstring. He said he includes the rings and spools to be used at the owners discretion- there are many different transom configurations on the Nautiques so he may sometimes include more hardware than necessary. Regardless, he said he is in the process of taking pictures and developing a set of instructions on how to install the covers properly. I will forward these instructions to everyone who has bought a cover once I receive them.

On another note, I *may* have found someone local to Rankin who could help them create a template for the 1980-81 (and possibly older?) Ski Nautiques. Stay tuned!
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2007 at 1:33pm
Nice dual exhaust, LOL.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2007 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by Randy_in_Ohio Randy_in_Ohio wrote:

I still haven't put mine on yet either. I was kind of confused about the straps also, if you look at the pictures of the yellow Malibu in Tim's Original Post you can see how it ties in the back.

The drawstring has 3 d-rings- one on the right "end" where the strap-locking mechanism is and two on the left side of the drawstring. This lead me to believe that perhaps the webbing connected to the drawstring zig-zags twice between the two ends of the rope, yielding a pully-esque mulitplication of force. The only problem here is that the strap doesn't pull smoothly with this setup. I'll play with it more, but the zig-zag technique is about the only explination for the D ring on the right end of the drawstring strap and for the pure length of the drawstring strap webbing.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2007 at 2:50pm
I just do not understand why Rankin does not make the cover (or a cover) that fits over the swim platform. This would make things much easier. When is the last time you saw a 90's era (i.e. euro tail) without a platform?

Tim:

Why don't you go buy a grab rail and install? I can give you the location, if desired.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2007 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

On another note, I *may* have found someone local to Rankin who could help them create a template for the 1980-81 (and possibly older?) Ski Nautiques. Stay tuned!

maybe back to 74 up to79 the windshield is v-ed, the outline is exactly the same as the 80-81 but the glass is shaped straight on those two instead of being v-ed it's about a 4-6" change in the plet (sp) location of the cover on the sides.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2007 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by David F David F wrote:

Why don't you go buy a grab rail and install? I can give you the location, if desired.

No grab rail for me, thanks- I like the clean look without it.

Im guessing that the tension required to get the cover real tight prevents an over-the-platform design. Let me know what you think when you get a chance to install it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2007 at 3:08pm
why couldn't they have a piece that just zipped onto the back of the cover after it was tensioned, then tie it off to the platform kinda loose/semi taught state?
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2007 at 3:09pm

Im guessing that the tension required to get the cover real tight prevents an over-the-platform design. Let me know what you think when you get a chance to install it.

Good point, now that I think about it, the platform brackets are designed for a downward force, not upward as is evident by the single screw at the bottom of the mounting plate.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2007 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

why couldn't they have a piece that just zipped onto the back of the cover after it was tensioned, then tie it off to the platform kinda loose/semi taught state?

I was going to do exactly that- perhaps attaching to both the cover and underside of the platform with snaps or a zipper. I dont think Im going this route anymore, but DavidF may be.

Originally posted by David F David F wrote:

Good point, now that I think about it, the platform brackets are designed for a downward force, not upward as is evident by the single screw at the bottom of the mounting plate.

Thats part of it- Im guessing with Rankin's current design that it would be pretty difficult to set the tension of the cover if it were made loose enough to stretch over the platform. My current cover can be tough to get the rear corners on, but once its in position, its not very taught.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2007 at 3:42pm
I would see it a better option for guys that trailer to the lake or for storage of the boat while on a trailer.

You really wouldn't want it for covering the boat while on the water, if it was going to be on a shorestation for weeks at a time then maybe it would be worth the hassle.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2007 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

You really wouldn't want it for covering the boat while on the water, if it was going to be on a shorestation for weeks at a time then maybe it would be worth the hassle.

This is exactly why I want to cover the transom and the platform. The boat will be stored primarily on a lift with no canopy- Ive seen platforms take a beating when theyre not protected. Even worse, the gel on the transom will fade at a faster rate than the rest of the boat... no thanks!
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 10:12pm
my buddies MC sits on a lift uncovered in the rear just like that. The transom and platform take a beating just like you assume. Perhaps even worse. It's just a shame.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic