NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First CC, 85BFN, What to look for?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First CC, 85BFN, What to look for?
    Posted: March-07-2007 at 7:35am
Bought an 85 BFN on a whim. Footed behind it at a race in Sept 06, bought it Dec. Doing some gelcoat/glass repair on some gouges at the bottom. Previous owner suggested having the starter rebuilt before the season. I've got a good starter rebuilder. Any ideas on what I should look for before I drop it in. I've got two outboards, this is my first inboard. I've got buddies on my ski team with inboards but I'm looking for resources, preferably in southeast MI. Are there any manuals out there?
As you can tell, I'm new to the site also.
Damn, it's like crack!
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 8:33am
check out the refernce section on this site it has several manuals that can be down loaded. I would say like any boat you need a good tune-up on the motor before you start the season and fresh fluids in the motor and tranny. Also I would replace the impellar in the Raw water pump and check the belts condition and replace as needed. You'll want to replace/check the fuel/water seperator as well and check all hose connections and their condition. Post some pitures in the diary section when you cann and welcome to the club of owning the best boats out there.
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 9:13am
Welcome abard tullfoot; buying a boat on a "whim" is the preferred method. That's how I did it!

I would also check the shaft, does it turn freely in the strut, any loose play?

Many of us our already envious, what with your first CC being a BF.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 8:17am
Thanks for the info 79 and Lake. In regards to the prop shaft, it spins sort of tight but looks damn strait. When it is spun, it feels consistant all the way around.
Learning alot about impellers, water separaters, trans fluids, shaft packing, ect, on this site. Man, are outboards easy. Plugs, gear lube, hit the water. Is that blaspheme?
Thanks again
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 8:45am
Originally posted by tullfooter tullfooter wrote:

...Man, are outboards easy. Plugs, gear lube, hit the water. Is that blaspheme?...

Haha YES that is Blasphemy!!!! but we'll allow it just this ONE time since you're new. Welcome to the site, and Congrats on the Barefoot!!

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 9:55am
You'll find out that inboards are the way to go. About the only thing you can do to an outboard is change the plugs. Anything else will cost you $$$$$$$$$$$$$ because you have to take it to a mechanic for everything. You never smell that 2-cycle exhaust and as soon as you hear the exhaust note of that big block, you'll be hooked!!!! Then the first time you strap on a slalom ski or wakeboard on the swim platform instead of balancing on a one foot square platform in the corner of the stern or having to jump in to put them on, you'll forget about any outboard.

Congrats and welcome.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 5:37pm
If you never had an inboard dont pick a windy day as your first day out
"the things you own will start to own you"
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 6:51pm
tullfooter, did you guys ever figure out where your going to be staying this weekend while in Ann Arbor area?
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

If you never had an inboard dont pick a windy day as your first day out

Good advice Eric.

Oh, BTW, you can not steer an inboard when it is in reverse...

Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 7:18pm
Welcome to the site tullfooter. This is a great place you have found. lot's of people here that know what they are talking about and are willing to share what they know
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Randy_in_Ohio Randy_in_Ohio wrote:

Oh, BTW, you can not steer an inboard when it is in reverse...

that's not completely true, you have to bump the throttle to get it to turn in reverse. If you just leave it in gear then it's really not going to do much. You have that and if you turn the wheel too much then it doesn't help much. lite gas lite steering input produces better steering while in reverse, It's not an I/O
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 7:51pm
Thanks for the replies. Hey Backfoot, what's a slalom ski? I got this boat to foot. OK maybe slap on my wakeboard. But, I still can't forget about outboards. I live on a lake that only allows outboards, and only up to 90hp. I've got a 24' Harris party toon with 85hp and a 16' Larson Flyer with a 90hp Johnson that I can pull my two sons and their buddy footin all at once. I do what I can with these STUPID rules. The lake was built and the boat rules were made in 1965 and the blue hairs on the lake won't allow change.
Thanks for the hints on driving inboards, but I've driven inboards since the late 70's, just haven't owned one.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 9:18pm
85BFN Heading strait from Ypsi, after the meet, to Detroit. Thanks for the offer of restaurant info. Catch you next time we are in the Ann Arbor/Ypsi area.
Gotta hit White Lake this summer.
Saw your boat. Thats a nice.
Someday I hope my interior looks that sharp.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic