NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Damn coil

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bwooton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwooton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Damn coil
    Posted: March-07-2007 at 8:02pm
I just put a new engine in my 78 Tique and i am having trouble with the coil. i got the boat with no engine so i did'nt see how things were hooked up to begin with. i am getting 12 volts to the coil but not accross the coil. in other words if i go from the positive side to ground i read 12v, but if i go from the positive side to the negitave side i get nothing. i tried going to ground on the negitave side but that did more harm than good. voltage droped. the manual for the stock 305 is in the REF section. it has a wiring diagram that i have been going by. everything else works ok... just no fire.
Any ideas??
P.S. it was 60 today i have to get out on the lake!!!
Thanks Bobby

there's no replacement for displacement
michigan dave View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 8:51pm
If your coil is healthy you should be able to quickly ground your negitive side of the coil and get a nice blue spark from the output of the coil.

If your coil does NOT have a "internal resister" you need one in the 12 volt feed to the coil. This is refered to as a ballest resister. This keeps the coil from over heating and the points from burning up during long periods of use. If you have electronic ignition you need the full 12 volts.

If the points are open, and you measure across the coil you will read O volts. If they are closed you will read much less.

Im sure others could have explained this better but I thougt I would give it a try.

dave
1984 Fish Nautique
351ci- 14x13 four blade acme
south haven mi.
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 8:57pm
    If the points are closed, you should read a voltage close to 12v across the coil, 0v with the points open. Does it have points or electonic ignition??

Jeff...
bwooton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwooton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 10:24pm
it has solid state ignition. its an upgrade but not electronic. Mercruiser thunderbolt 4. i should have mentioned that earlier.
Thanks Bobby

there's no replacement for displacement
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2007 at 9:00pm

I have an electronic upgrade that the PO removed because the boat wouldn't run right with it in. If he left the ballast resistor installed would that cause the boat to run poorly or not run at all?   Farmer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic