Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

engine cover needed

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bssford460 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bssford460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: engine cover needed
    Posted: March-09-2007 at 6:35pm
me, my brother and my dad just bought an 82 ski nautique. It is missing the engine cover. what are my options for buying a new one or making a new one. or is there anywhere i can find a used one that i can have recovered?
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 9:49pm
I sent you to this forum. Guess I could give you some ideas about how to build an engine cover if you can't find one.

If you have access to somebody else's engine cover, similar in size to what you want, and they will trust you for a minute, then...you can wrap that cover in several layers of plastic wrap. Then, essentially use it as a mold. I recommend using biaxial mat to build a shell on the outside of the other engine cover. Once it cures remove the shell, unwrap the other engine cover, and clean it up so the guy doesn't suspect anything. Then, add one or more layers of biaxial mat inside the new shell you just made.

Another option is to measure another motor box. Then use plywood wrapped in plastic wrap to make a rectangular shaped box that you fill with urethane foam. Once the foam cures dissasemble the plywood box. Then use a hand saw to sculpt the foam into the shape you want. Wrap the foam mold in plastic wrap then use biaxail mat to form the new box. Again you'll need a few layers.

Not that difficult of a job but it could be costly and is time consuming. I imagine you could use some 3ply and actually make a motor box then cover it inside and out with glass as well (eliminating the need for a mold).

There are a several ways to do it.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2007 at 1:24am
I wouldn't limit your self to just CC boats either a Mastercraft of the same era will have basicly the same motor box since they both use the same engines under them. Kinda of a hard item to get might try Paul carpenter "(980)581-0006" he might be able to direct you to a source or have one to use as a mold.
nautiquefanatic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquefanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2007 at 12:35pm
I should have a factory fiberglass engine box by the end of this month for sale......It has vinyl on it, but would need to be re-covered. Should fit over small block ford or chevy with no problem. When I get it, I will measure and email you or put it on this post. I don't have it here, but will by the end of this month. Call with questions..... Paul Carpenter (980)581-0006

I thought initially that the shape of the 82 engine box was different than the 81 and earlier Nautique,,,,,,but after looking at the reference section, I believe they are the same box (for the small blocks, ford and chevy). I will keep you posted. If someone comes up with one sooner, jump on it. PC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bssford460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2007 at 5:49pm
oh man, thanks for responding. i've looked and looked and looked, and have basically come up with nothing. please keep me in mind. i'm going to email you through this website with all of my contact info.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bssford460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2007 at 9:34pm
Hey Paul, any word on that engine cover you said you would have by the end of the month. I'm still interested if you have gotten it or are still getting it. Let me know.

Thanks
Atmspltr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atmspltr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2007 at 10:20pm
bss...

I was in the same boat last year (pun intended)...I called Correct Craft in Florida (can't recall the name) and they have original molds and would sell and ship. This was quite pricy (don't recall price either...sorry). I finally got one from this site and had it covered in 'Line-X' truck bed liner. It came out awesome.

Good luck.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bssford460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2007 at 12:44am
yeah, i've talked to them. It was going to be quiet expensive to get one from them. If paul cant come through for me, I may have to go that route. Hopefully this will work out.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquefanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2007 at 9:38pm
Bradley, nice to talk to you on the phone last night. I will keep you posted on the progress. When I get the engine cover home, I will call you. Paul

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bssford460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2007 at 9:04pm
thanks sooo much paul. your a great guy and very very helpful. I cant wait to hear from you again. hopefully with some more good news.
thanks everybody else for pointing me this direction.
bldrman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bldrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2007 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by bssford460 bssford460 wrote:

me, my brother and my dad just bought an 82 ski nautique. It is missing the engine cover. what are my options for buying a new one or making a new one. or is there anywhere i can find a used one that i can have recovered?

I have a 66 or 67 Nautique that I am parting out. The fiberglass engine cover is in great shape. Will this work for you. It covered a 318 Chrysler engine.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquefanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2007 at 3:22pm
bldrman, I am interested in your boat parts, and I sent you an email. Thanks, Paul (980)581-0006
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic