Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

82 Floor Repair (I need help)

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 82 Floor Repair (I need help)
    Posted: March-12-2007 at 6:17pm
Today I got my 82 2001 out to be reminded of the soft spot in the floor that I knew was there when I put it away for the winter.

When I bought the boat the guy told me the floors and stringers were redone in 99. It is looking to me like when they did the floors (from the start of the engine cover) back they just laid fiberglass on top of the foam. It has now cracked and is bouncy on the passengers side from the font of the motor to the back of the motor.

And as a bounus one of the mufflers was cracked

The good news is that it appears to my rookie eyes that the primary stringers look fine. I have not dug very far but also the foam seems dry and in good shape.

What should I do next.

My idea is to tear all of the floor up that does not have wood under it and replace it with marine plywood.

Help me before I screw something up.

Thanks in advance

Jon
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2007 at 6:56pm
based on some of the other posts about stringers is in that area they just glassed over the foam and in your case the PO must have used very little over the foam. Does the foam seem wet? Might be able to pull the carpet grind down some of the fiberglass and build it up from there.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2007 at 7:01pm
The 3rd picture indicates that there will be significant rot in the secondary stringers in that area. The foam looks good on top but gravity pulls the water to the bottom. The cracked floor means the PO did not build a strong enough floor. That breach allows water to flow into the floor. Now you have work to do.

Your idea of using plywood as a floor is fine. You will add weight. If you are not a slalom skier - no big deal. Just be sure to seal both the top and bottom of the floor pieces with epoxy before bonding them to the stringers.

I would recommend removal of the foam. At least exploratory. Take out a big chunk down to the hull. If it splashes your face - its wet. From the dash to the stern the 80lb kit of foam will do the job.

Dont worry about the muffler. Clean it up and use several layers of epoxy and glass as a patch.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2007 at 7:08pm
the foam is always dry near the surface, chances are down closer to the hull it might be wet. Cracks are one of the reasons i prefer wood over glassing on top of the foam.
it does seem pretty thin at that area where the crack is and you may like 79 said glass over it. I think some further investigation is needed and maybe post some more pics. Its hard to believe the stringers and floors were replaced in 99, I think a little exageration was included or maybe just a bad spot was repaired.
Is that carpet that wore out? or am i seeing something different
Eric
"the things you own will start to own you"
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2007 at 7:09pm
Jon, listen to the SkiBum and read his post floor and stringers. It will tell you a lot and may make you want to cry, too. I found a very similar situation in my 83 when I pulled up the carpet to check out a soft spot.
Bob Ed
83 2001
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2007 at 8:08pm
Dug more and it was soaked. The secondary stringers were mush. I went ahead and tore the floor and foam out from the front of the engine back. I will post some pictures tomorrow. It is too dark and depressing out there right now. I have a feeling this could be a busy thread over the next couple of weeks. The good news is my brother is a school teacher and is off next week for spring break so I should have lots of help if the weather is good to us.

Is there a composite material that would be better to use than plywood? What about the secondary stringers??
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2007 at 8:27pm
really there's no need to rehash something that has been covered pretty good on two other posts so really do we need a third started? Not saying your not as important or anything like that. It's just been covered in detail on an active thread already that's all.

There is some compsite stuff out there it's just a little pricey and heavier than other options. You might check the other threads then if something is a litttle foggy or something wasn't covered then ask and you shall recieve.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2007 at 8:43pm
read up on the subject to get a better understanding of some of the materials being used.... and keep on digging
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2007 at 8:55pm
Eric, You want another floor job?
Scott
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2007 at 9:13pm
Jon,

Sorry to hear of your difficulties; that has to be dissapointing. Keep us posted as you get further into it. Hopefully the weather holds for you.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2007 at 9:22pm
I have done alot of reading. All of Skibum's thread. Which is great. I definetly got some ideas from that.

Thanks everyone. I will try not to repeat Skibum's thread but I know I will have questions so please don't get upset if I keep asking questions.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2007 at 4:52am
Jon4, I caught the same picture that Bill (skibum) did. Hate to say it but I think you need to keep digging. When did you buy the boat?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2007 at 9:12am
Based on my experiences I would simply recommend building your secondaries from pine. Laminate the individual pieces (11 total) that make up the entire stringer using epoxy resin and glass on both sides. Once bedded into the floor and glassed onto the hull they are very water proof. Just be sure to use a good bead of 404 or 403 filler as well. There may be some composites out there that will NEVER fail but whatever.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2007 at 9:56am
What do you think about using composite wood. I know I have seen deck boards that are made of a composite material. I do not see any reason why I could not use these instead of pine for my secondary stringers.

I am thinking that instead of making a permanent floor on both sides of the engine compartment that I will make 2 long fiberglass tanks that I can drop in the boat. I could then fill the tanks with water for a little wakebarding weight. What I like about my idea is the ability to add weight and remove the entire floor easily without a problem.

What I dont like is . . . I dont know if I can make the secondary stringers strong enough to hold these tanks.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2007 at 11:45am
Jon, there is no reason why you couldnt incorporate the tanks into the structural sections of the boat, once a boat is in the water you get even stress points dispersed accross the hull of the boat, unlike the trailer where the weight would be concentrated on whatever area it is touching.
you could tie the tanks right into the stringers and struts and it would be part of the structure
you really should refoam it and stay away from the composites, wood has grain and once you spend many countless hours working on the floors I doubt you will be leaving it out in the rain to fill with water or leaving it uncovered from the elements. there is no reason a boat shouldnt last 30 years after a repair with wood
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2007 at 12:20pm
Jon, Don't even consider using the "decking" composite wood. It is made from recycled polypropelene bottles (milk bottles) and wood flour. It is also used for glue bottles because glue won't stick to it. So, epoxy resin / fiberglass won't stick ether!! It also isn't as strong and does bend. When you use it for decking material you even need to space the joists closer than you would with normal 2X material (wood).

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2007 at 1:02pm
Thanks guys. I will not use the composite.

Eric, What do you mean by "you really should refoam it", If I make the ballast tanks they will be in place of the foam.

I want to go without the foam. I see no purpose to put foam back in the boat that is going to get wet. If I go with a plywood floor I will not need it for structure either.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2007 at 4:15pm
it does provide structural support, boyancy, deadens sound..... I really dont like it but those are 3 good reasons to use it,
you cold pour it around the tanks you install and they really wont move
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2007 at 5:12pm
After getting home from work and realizing that everything is mush. I dont know what to do.

I am not trying to give a sob story here but I dont know what to do. I have never laid fiberglass in my life. I dont know the first thing about what I am in the middle of and most importantly I dont know how much it is going to cost but I do know that money is a little tight right now being 24 and having a wife who is still in college.

Can anyone let me know around what this is going to cost.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2007 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by jon4pres jon4pres wrote:

Can anyone let me know around what this is going to cost.

I believe SkiBum said recently that he had spent ~$1k on all his supplies. I believe that would include gelcoat, so thats more than it would cost you.

I would say a complete floor and stringer job would cost $700-1000 in materials, including carpet.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2007 at 6:54pm
expect to spend at least a $1000.00 in materials, if you use plywood expect to spend 95.00 per sheet   3/4 marine,

you could get away cheaper with out the foam, the foam with shipping is about $80.00 per kit, I used 5 kits sparringly

there is alot of hidden costs as discussed in another post
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 9:41am
Thanks for the info. I was hoping it would be less but whats another thousand right.

Eric you are really tempting me with to not go with foam.

It just seems to me tha the foam is going to get wet at some point. Plus now I find out that it is the most expensive part of the job.

I guess I have a little time before I have to make that decision.

I have decided that I am going to work across the floor from passenger side to the drivers. I have 90% of the flooring taken up and the secondary stringers on the passenger side are completely gone. I am leaving the drivers side in and using them as a pattern. Once I have the passengers side secondary stringers done I will move to the drivers side secondary stringers. Then I will work on the main stringers one at a time.
This method seems like a good way to do it ot me because I can always go look at the other side and use it as a pattern.

I still have to pull the motor but I think that I can get Dad's skid loader tonight and get that out.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 9:50am
Jon4, There are lots of pros and cons on weather to or not foam. There was a rather involved thread on it. Do a search.

My Tique was not foamed under the floor when the stringers were redone. Foam for flotation was added on the bottom sides of the forward and rear decks as well as under the gunnels.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 10:01am
Eric do you think the marine grade plywood is necessary? ive always just gotten normal plywood & coated all the edges thoroughly and put a few coats on top & bottom.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 10:32am
Im not certain but was told that the only difference between normal ply and marine ply is the finish, which seems true because the ply i bought had a filler on the face and was sanded smooth, i also coated both sides and the edges. next time I'll save the money.......thats the first time i also ever used marine ply, i guess the ora is people think that it is waterproof and it isnt
Save the money for something else
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 10:44am
The marine 3/4 ply wood I bought has a couple more plys in it and is a lot lighter weight than other ply wood almost like bulsa wood.When I drilled holes in it the drill bit had a tar like adhesive on it. $85 a sheet but worth it. ( I think )
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 10:57am
Marine Plywood does not have any voids in the interior plys. It's face on both sides is b grade, meaning it is sanded, can have knots, but they must be tight. The glue used is an exterior (water proof) glue. It is not treated with any preservative.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 10:58am
Waterdog, You may have gotten a piece of Okoume marine ply. It is allot lighter than Fir ply. One thing though, It is NOT very rot resistent and is ment for epoxy saturation so make sure its coated real good. If you got it from someone who is building boats with a epoxy system, then that's probably what he had.

Eric, you're close on the marine difference. It's really the inner plys on marine that have a very tight allowence for gaps between the pieces of veneer. Otherwise both Exterior and Marine use the same phenolic based glues.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 11:48am
Originally posted by jon4pres jon4pres wrote:

It just seems to me tha the foam is going to get wet at some point. Plus now I find out that it is the most expensive part of the job.

Remember, the newer foams are closed cell and dont absorb water like your original foam did. When I did my floor repair, I noticed the water travelled down the stringer because it wasnt being absorbed into the foam. I only removed the foam that was either detached from the hull, or in the way of my stringer repair.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 11:54am
Is it worth the extra doe? probably not if your coating both sides and edges and then painting it.
most times people are'nt coating it and waterproofing it, I have used plywoods in the past i did not coat it, up in front bunks and so on. the best thing is keeping any wood dry and it will last for years
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic