Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

82 Floor Repair (I need help)

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 11:59am
Even if it has closed cell foam the water is still going to be trapped under it sitting against the secondary stringers.

When it all goes back together there will be TONS of epoxy used but I am also thinking that if I go with no foam and make a removable floor then I can pull those sections of the floor out and really dry the boat out.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 12:02pm
Eric, i was told ,same glue same wood, the difference is the VOIDS. Marine has 0% voids,where the other designations,A/B,A/C have more or less voids.JMHO, but what do I know?????
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 12:32pm
Jon4, When my Tique stringers were replaced, small have half round cutouts at stratigic locations were cut into the bottoms where it meets the floor. The cutouts were then glassed before the stringers were installed to seal them. So in therory if the water gets below the floor, it will drain to the lowest point under the engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 7:44pm
Really dont see the need to use 3/4" treated plywood for the floor. Glass would be fine. I almost used 1/8" 3ply. 1/2" normal plwood would be enough. Just apply epoxy resin, 10oz or more glass cloth, and resin to the underside before you install. Then apply two layers of epoxy resin and glass on top. When the floor attaches to the side of the hull and to the stringers it actually provides some increase in the structural integrity of the boat. There have been several clever modifications to allow water to flow out of the floor area. I am of the opinion that a properly constructed floor and stringers will seal water out. The only way it will get in is through years of neglect or acute damage.

As for cost, figre on one gallon of resin per stringer. 10yds of glass for all four stringers. Then I used five gallons on the floor as well as 30 yds of glass (10 ea Eglass cloth, epoxy mat, and biaxial mat)

Good luck with your project.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 4:51am
Jon4, Make sure you use the "E" glass cloth with the epoxy resin just as Skibum did. It's made for it.

Did you get the engine pulled?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 8:41am
I did not get the engine pulled but I did start it last night just so that I would know that it made it through the winter.   The oil looked black and it looks like it survived. Then I unhooked everything. The only thing left to do is take it loose at the motor mounts.
I spent a good hour driving the skid loader across town at 15 or 20 mph.

My motor has two rings that come out of the motor. One on the front right and the other on the rear left of the block. I am assuming that these are made to pull the motor. Can anyone tell me any different.

Where are you guys getting supplies? If you have a good online place that would be ideal because I know I wont be able to find anything local.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 9:21am
Jon, Take a look at this:

http://www.masepoxies.com/index.htm

Yes ,the two rings are lifting points. You may ned to do some playing around if you use a short piece of chain between them to get the engine w/ tranny balanced. There are screw adjustable balancers that the pros use but they are pulling engines almost every day.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 10:43am
Can someone give me a shopping list. Like I said I have never touched wet fiberglass or epoxy in my life. I looked at the Pete's website and it only confuses me.

If you guys have a list of what kind and how much of everything I need it would definetly help.

When I am done I will have to take all of the information that I learn and write a book "Rebuilding Stringers for DUMMIES"
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 11:39am
Jon, I think the best way is to take you through some steps so you don't get to far ahead of yourself. Get the floor cut out and start cutting out the old stringers. Post some pictures and we'll start talking wood. I know that Bill (skibum) is going to be your most valuable asset in this project.

You have said that you have never touched wet fiberglass before but don't worry since it isn't real hard. How are you woodworking skills?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 11:56am
I got the woodworker of the year award when I was in High school. That doesnt really mean anything but I am very conifident that I can do what I need to. My grandpa has a great shop full of tools that I can steal.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 12:20pm
Great Jon, I don't think you will not have a problem with this project. I too was Industrial Arts student of the year in high school. Of coarse that was in 1969!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 1:04pm
To replace the stringers this is a pretty good list of materials:

quan      item
5 gal     Epoxy resin 635 thin 3:1 ratio
1 roll    50 yds 2" E-glass tape
1 roll    50 yds 4" E-glass tape
1 roll    50 yds 8" E-glass tape
5yds      Epoxy mat
5qts      West 404 filler (fine glass)
5qts      Aerosil-Cabosil thickening agent
5qts      Fairing compound
25 ea     2" wood paintbrushes
25 ea     stir sticks
5 ea      1qt mixing containers
2ea       2"x10"x16'
2ea       1"x6"x12'

Each stringer consumes about one gallon of epoxy resin from start to finish. Use the epoxy mat to laminate both sides of the stringers. Seat the stringers with 2 layers of epoxy mat and clamp until cured. Fill gaps with 404 filler and epoxy. Then use 2", 4", 8" strips along the joint. Use 404 and epoxy to make a bead 1" above and below the joint 1/4" to 1/2" thick.

That is all it takes to laminate and install the stringers.

Bill
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 1:35pm
Bill, where did you order all of the fiberglassing stuff from?
I would like to go ahead and get supplies so that I have them when I need them.

25 paintbrushes??
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 1:57pm
I remember reading that Bill ordered from US Composites.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by jon4pres jon4pres wrote:

25 paintbrushes??

The paint brushes are used to apply the epoxy resin to the mat and cloth. Once it dries, theres no saving the brush, so buy a bunch.

In addition to SkiBum's list, I used a grooved roller to get the air bubbles out of each layer of glass. Buy a bunch of those too. I also liked the hand pumps- makes it easy to get the right ratio of epoxy to hardener and makes less of a mess than pouring.

BKH is right, go with US Composites.

I guess its not really a "material" but dont forget to pick up a box of latex gloves from Home Depot. You want to keep the resin off your skin if you can.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 2:22pm
Jon, You can also take a look at:

www.masepoxy.com

They actually have a on-line store

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 2:51pm
For applying the epoxy, they arent worth cleaning off the epoxy after so they end up hard as a rock... a one shot deal.. you will easily use 25.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 2:52pm
damn that was slow typing on my part
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 3:37pm
If you have a good digital scale then you can use it instead of the pumps if you want.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 3:47pm
when you only have one boat and a limited amount of time, I am pretty sure findind someone like Eric to do a fantastic job on your stringers and floor is the way to go.

Now a project boat, I definitely would like to try this wonderful task myself. I admire you guys that do this task yourself to your only boat.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 4:12pm
79, You ain't going to use my Ohaus for epoxy, I have to weigh letters and such. Don't know for sure but is the ratio 2:1 by volume and not weight? Maybe I am wrong but component A and B have different weights, if so, you would use the volume method of mixing as per directions??????
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 4:20pm
It is by volume and not weight so don't use a scale!! The pumps are less than $15 and well worth it. You can mix real small 1 stroke of each pump batches plus they are allot neater since you're not pouring out of can. The pump kits fit all containers up to the 5 gal. size by using extention tubes that fit on the bottom of the pumps.

Depending on the manufacturer and the type of hardener you use, the mix ratio can vari. Read the instructions and get the proper pumps.

The small batches really come in handy when you are adding fillers. The mixed volume really increases especially on the fairing fillers to the point that you sometimes can't use it fast enough before it sets up.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 5:43pm
I thought I recall in the instructions when I did some years ago they also listed the weights as well as volume for mix ratio's.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 6:08pm
Sorry, forgot to list the pumps. Just cost a few dollars worth every penny and then some. Too easy. Pump three times move the container pump once and repeat. Also you need a good roller. I tried cleaning mine after each use but it only lasted about three stringers. Buy a few of those as well.
Bill
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 11:12pm
79, Just pulled out direction sheet,West Systems,they have no listings of mixture by weight. The ratio is stated for use with their pumps,But you may have used a different brand..............boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2007 at 4:17am
79, Some epoxy manufacturers do list the mix ratio by weight and that can be used. However it typically is used for large batches so you don't have to pump the pumps for long periods of time. The pumps are cheap and not as messy as pouring from a can but most important on small batches very accurate. One drop in a small batch will make a difference.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2007 at 6:38am
you can soak the paint brushes in thinner right after each use, I used a total of 3 brushes, not mineral spirits...
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2007 at 8:23am
I used resin I got from the rot doctor website, liked it a little better than the west system stuff.
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2007 at 8:36am
I use a plastic spreader and a roller. I don't see the need for epoxy resin. (cost) It's great stuff, and it certainly won't hurt to use it. Your boat wasn't made using epoxy. And once you use it, you can't go back to polyester resin in that area. I think Eric would agree, because we both use the same materials and techniques in boat repairs. You might want to remove all the bad wood and foam. Clean it up, then get an estimate.Unless you want to do the work yourself.A pro will have all the tools,and material to do the job. It may or may not be cheaper for you to do it yourself.
Scott
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2007 at 8:46am
I took the motor out last night. I can see where the PO tried to do some repairs. It looks like from the front motor mounts forward he tried to make everything worse.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic