Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

new gelcoat?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
pg921 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pg921 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new gelcoat?
    Posted: March-15-2007 at 12:37pm
i was finally able to purchase the boat i've always wanted, a 1986 2001. there are lumps/bubbles all over the hull wich i assume to be water that has gotten into the fiberglass from sitting in the water too long. the previous owner said that correct craft didn't believe it to be a critical issue. the boat is in overall great condition and i plan on getting allot of use out of it this summer. however i don't want it getting worse and plan on refurbishing when i can afford it. any advice on re-gelcoting an entier boat?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 12:44pm
I used the search function to find these threads.

Spraying Gelcoat

Blister Issues

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 12:45pm
921,The thread below which is on this page, tells allot. It's a very involved process.

Gel Spraying Techniques

How are the stringers?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 1:11pm
One thing I learned was that any cracks evident on the gelcote are only evidence of what problems lurk below. The blisters can be repaired individually. Cracks are worse than blisters, in my opinion. The boat is actually cracked. Faded geclote can simply be wet sanded, buffed, polished, and waxed. All depends on what problems you have. A total gelcote replacement should only be done after structural issues are fixed first, ie. stringers and floor. A total gelcote replacement is very labor intensive but can be done for about 400 bucks.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
pg921 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pg921 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 2:02pm
thanks guys. i think i'll just call this cosmetic and enjoy the boat as it is. i think i got a really good deal. it has over 1300 hrs. on it but the original owner that i got it from did a really good job taking care of it and keeping all paper work. stringers are good, electronic ignition, new heads, all solid. i plan on changing all the fluids and replacing the impeller. looking forward to my first reunion. thanks again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic