NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I baught it!! but....

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I baught it!! but....
    Posted: March-18-2007 at 9:56pm
Soo I went down to look at this 86 2001 I posted about the other day. It all checked out good the stringers are solid and the hull just had a few minimal stress cracks. It has 824 hours on it. The interior is wasted but the carpet and floors are nice. I picked it up and braught it 1400 miles home for 4300. Now its buff time and start working on the interior. It also has a nice original CC trailer with serge brakes and the fender steps. It was one family owned since 87 and it came from a lake that is 15 minutes from my place. It went to califirnia for a while with the daughter then she took it to florida and now its back home again in indiana. The only problem we had the whole 1400 mile trip home was about 20 miniutes from my house on the highway a rock off of a semi or something busted the entire front curved windshield out:(. That pissed me off. But anyways where might I go about getting new glass for it or if anyone close has one id come and buy it? Thanks dudes.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2007 at 3:59am
67, There is a curved Waterbonnet in our "for sale" forum if you can't get just the glass. This looks like the glass.

Congrats on getting it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2007 at 5:47am
Phatsat67,

Congrats on the new boat, sounds like a good deal.

Bummer on the windshield but that may not be as bad as it sounds. Since you are in Indiana give Midwest Correct Crfat a call. If they have it you may be better off picking it up as the packaging to ship might cost more than the glass itself.

Suprisingly enough that front glass is not curved. It is a flat piece of tempered glass, you bend it when you put it in the aluminum frame. Doesn't sound possible but it is. If you could get the dimensions from Correctcraft or someone on the site here you could go to a local glass shop and have them cut and temper a piece for you.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2007 at 6:19am
81, Are you sure it's glass you're thinking of and not polycarbonate? I always thought that glass requires heat and if you look at Taylor Made - Waterbonnets website, they highlight the high temp ovens they have for bending the glass.

PS; I emailed you the decal in .eps format. It took me a couple tries because I found out it wouldn'd attach directly from the CD so I had to save it on my computer first. Trust me, that was a big deal with the computer geek here!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2007 at 6:54am
Pete, I removed and disassembled the windshield from my boat this winter so I could polish the aluminum frame. Although mine is an 81 the front glass panel is one piece similar to the 86 above. It's just 1/8" tempered glass, flat as a pancake. You bend it when you put it back in the frame. I was in the glass business for about 15 years so it was not a big deal to put back together, if your afraid to handle glass your going to break it as soon as you tap the edge on something hard,POP.

I'm sure the glass furnaces are for bending todays modern curved windshields.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2007 at 6:59am
Got it!! Thanks.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2007 at 9:55am
Thanks guys. I got in touch with mid west and they said that its pretty hard to find that piece? Maybe the guy didnt know that it starts out flat. I will post some pictures of the rig when I get a chance.
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2007 at 6:28pm
81 is on the money. I too took the windshield of an 81 apart to paint the frame. I made a cardboard template of the glass while it was apart. I think if you took the frame to a glass shop they could determine the measurements of the glass panel from the frame itself. By the way I had the same thing happen to me in 1981.
hasbeenskier
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2007 at 8:30pm
phatsat67, will the windshield in the parts for sale section work for you. It says it's an 80's windshield.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2007 at 9:45pm
It was so odd my family has been pulling boats for 40 years and never one cracked windshield. I was thinking about taking it apart and making a cardboard template. Is the glass actually cut at a curve too or when it is bent it takes the curve of the top of the hull of the boat?
If it isnt cut curved either it should be a breeze for a glass shop to cut.

So I buffed out one side of the top of the bow and this boat is going to look amazing when it is finished im sooo ready for may.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2007 at 6:02am
phat,

use a piece of 1/8" masonite to make your template. That way you can actually put it back together and make sure it is a perfect fit before cutting the glass.

If I remember correctly the corners are not 90 degrees. Doesn't matter if the glass has a curved cut to it, any good glass shop can match your template exactly. Bring a small piece of broken glass with you so they can get the thickness but mine was 1/8". Tell them you want the edges seamed and round the corners and then you must get it tempered. Seaming is like sanding the edges so it will go back together easier for you.

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2007 at 9:01am
Cool thanks 81. I think I might just get a cheap piece of plexyglass or something to make a template.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2007 at 9:30am
IMHO buy the one in the parts section, buy it now, they are very expensive to replace and people need them regularly. Someone here is going to take thier cover off in a week or two and find that they too need a windshield. Its a very good price and you could resell it if you came up with something else for your boat.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2007 at 2:20pm
You cannot cut tempered glass. The glass has to be cut first, then tempered. Or, you can use laminated glass which can be cut.

FWIW: cars use laminated glass for the windsheild so that rocks do not shatter the glass and obscure visibility while going down the highway. The glass-plastic-glass lamination keeps the shards together to keep it safe. The side and rear glass is tempered.

So, if the top or bottom is curved, laminated glass might be the cheapest option.

My guess is that the ovens as referenced in an above post is used to temper the glass after cutting.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic