NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

breakerless ignition 454

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: breakerless ignition 454
    Posted: March-19-2007 at 10:53am
So I am about to order a new ignition kit for my 86 Nautique with a big block chevy 454 engine. I am getting a Unilite Breakerless ignition kit and am wondering if I should also order a new ignition coil to go with it?

It has the original ignition coil in it now. Also do I need to get a specific ignition coil that relates to my distributor or the Unilite ignition kit? Or can I just get a prestolite coil?

A quick response would be greatly appreciated because I want to order this stuff as soon as possible! Thanks Guys I really appreciate it
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2007 at 10:59am
I found this one here

Does that look right?
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2007 at 11:20am
make sure your distributor isnt wore out, shaft should be goodintite, have spent many hours messing with engines to get them to run and finding the dist. wore out
"the things you own will start to own you"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2007 at 11:21am
What ignition kit did you get? Did you replace the points with an EI module, or did you get a whole new electronic distributor?

Either way, the kit/distributor manufacturer should specify what type of coil you need. A high output coil is not good to use with many types of EI. As long as youre replacing it, you might want to consider an epoxy filled coil. They handle vibrations better than oil-filled units, and they can be mounted on their side.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2007 at 1:02pm
i did not order one yet.

This is the one that i was told by summitracing that would work best http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MAA%2D559&N=700+0&autoview=sku

so i am trusting them and i will probably call them back about the coil and see which one i should get
mackwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2007 at 2:26pm
May want to have a look at this complete Mallory system, comes with new dist, 8mm wires, & coil. A few more bucks gets the whole kit, problem solved.

http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/c/ALL6A/Ignition+Kits+for+GM

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Nautique 88 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2007 at 2:44pm
thats not a factory engine in there is it.
i know the big block 454 puts out about 400 horse and i thought it only came with a special edition barefoot nautique.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2007 at 2:45pm
I agree with you Mackwrench that is a much better solution. Is it hard to install a full electronic ignition kit?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2007 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by Nautique 88 Nautique 88 wrote:

thats not a factory engine in there is it.
i know the big block 454 puts out about 400 horse and i thought it only came with a special edition barefoot nautique.

The standard 454 was available in both the Ski Nautique and Barefoot Nautique. It had 330 hp. There was an unadvertised option for a HO 454 that put out 425 hp. Its been discussed here before.

$289 is a darn good deal for an entire electronic setup, including distributor, coil and wires.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2007 at 3:57pm
ya, I agree that it is a good deal. Its going to have to go on hold tho, I put a significant dent in my brothers truck. Gotta pay for that first.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2007 at 4:22pm
I find the mallory advance mechanism is prone to wearing out and failure; the nylon bushings fail. Anything that vintage is suspect.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
mackwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2007 at 4:37pm
It's very easy to install, it came w/instructions. There is also a link to the PDF file instructions on the link I posted.

I have bought 2 of e-basic power kits, I put one on a i/o set up I had with a 4.3 GM as well as the 302 my CC had, Ran the i/o for 5 years & never had a issue with either.

NO LONGER A MEMBER
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic