Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351 Mod Info

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351 Mod Info
    Posted: March-19-2007 at 7:25pm
I'm getting set to put some GT40-P heads and an Edelbrock Performer manifold on my engine. The boat is quite a distance away and I'd like to have all the parts I need so that I can complete the work in a weekend and have the boat ready for skiing when the ice goes out. Right now the engine is in its stock form with the 240/250 HP "E" heads and a Holley 4160 carb. My list of parts so far are the heads, manifold, gaskets/sealer, new head bolts, a shim kit for the rockers and a new longer fuel line.

Anything else I should have ready to go to make the job a smooth one? I'm thinking about a 6.5 power valve. How about suggestions for carb jetting? What about a metering block conversion kit for the secondary side. While I'm at it should I get the assortment pack with all of the jets? .....or does anyone have a good starting point to get things running fairly well....GottaSki??

I've been looking at other posts here but it seems the more I read, the more questions come up.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mark
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2007 at 8:21pm
Just had the same thing done by my "pit crew". You will love the way your boat runs afterward. I really know nothing about what majic they worked but you can check out the thread "jbears 351". Lots of pics. Sorry I can't do a link like some of the computer skilled guys.

My best suggestion? Find out what 79Nautique and Backfoot are doing for the weekend and fly them to where you are. Stand back when 79 gets near your boat. He goes right to work and knows what he is doing. The only thing I needed was a credit card and money for beer and pizza. We had a great time with MM, Blondie and ReidP as well. Hope it works out just as good for you.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2007 at 9:08pm
For now just focus on getting it back together straight.

Can't reliably suggest jets or other carb mods till you got the timing right on, the air screws optimized then do some plug chops and report its performance. Avoid extended WOT till the plug chops are done.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2007 at 9:37am
It certainly wouldnt hurt to pick up the metering block conversion- it will allow you to dial in the secondaries if re-jetting is necessary. Might want to consult Holly or Summit on the exact part number, as I was told theres a difference between the 600cfm and 750cfm kits. Get new carb gaskets for when it comes time to tune.

I sprung for the jet assortment kit because it cost about the same as the jets I would have bought seperately (plus a lot more for possible future use). Came in a nice case too. I also picked up some timing tape.

For misc parts, some 3m spray adhesive made it easier installing the gaskets. I also cut the heads off some bolts and used them to line up the intake manifold upon reinstallation. Some good scrapers and gasket remover (spray) made cleaning parts easier. Will you need any new brass plugs for the intake runners or water jackets on the new manifold?

Make sure you have all the necessary gaskets- heads, intake, valve covers and spacer/carb. Some of the liquid gasket stuff is also helpful for the front and rear of the intake manifold.

You may also want to raise your throttle cable bracket to make the throw level. I made my own out of a scrap piece of metal.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2007 at 2:12pm
Without a cam change, I suspect no serious jetting will be warranted; still check.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2007 at 8:12pm
Thanks.....a few addition to my parts order Tim.

GottaSki, as suggested, I'll reassemble with existing carb set-up and then see where things stand.

Any other suggestions welcomed and appreciated.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic