NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help identify this Holley 4 Barrel

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
LakeHoliday View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeHoliday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help identify this Holley 4 Barrel
    Posted: March-26-2007 at 7:41pm
Okay, I have a Holley 4 Barrel carb on the 302 Interceptor. I'm having a lot of difficulty finding out exactly what it is as the part number doesn't appear to be a Holley number.

Holley

SAE J1223
75009-3

Also, stamped elsewhere is P-80 and 8025.

Does anyone know which Holley this is and the CFM?

Thanks,
Brice
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2007 at 8:15pm
Look on the choke horn for a list number
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeHoliday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2007 at 8:56pm
I did. From what I'm finding, the 75009-3 is the list number but was possibly a PCM part number. I read somewhere PCM had Holley put PCM part numbers on so you had to go to PCM to get parts. On that site, it cross references to a Holley 4160 (only found that in one place from some guy on another forum so I'm not 100% certain it is) but didn't list what CFM it is. In my first post, I listed every number stamped into the front of the choke horn as well as on the sides of the carb. There is no standard Holley list number anywhere to be found.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 9:44am
Mic out the throttle plate bores and compare to knowns, that should at least get you CFM
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeHoliday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 12:28pm
Okay, I just got this back from the folks at Holley (I really didn't expect to hear back from them so quickly):

The List Number 75009-3 is actually a Holley Marine carb model 4160 600 CFM.

Renew kit part # 703-28

I hope this helps anyone else out there with a 75009 list number.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I know now this probably belongs on a 351W instead of my 302... so now I'll see if I can get it dialed in properly.

Is anyone else running a 600 CFM Holley on a 302?

Best regards,
Brice
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2007 at 11:01am
Brice,still a litle large on the cfm,are the secondaries pulling in under load?This was my problem when I tried running one on my 302.
Bit the bullet and bought the 4160 Holley 450cfm. It is made just for the 302 Ford,solved all the loading up, black soot on the stern and hard starting issues that the 600 was causing..........boat dr
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeHoliday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2007 at 11:55am
boat dr, I'm not sure on the secondaries (going to check that this weekend). I am trying to get a friend over here with a vacuum guage so we can check things and do some tweaking. I'm not noticing any black soot on the stern, but there is a bit of black soot building up on the top of the choke plate. What causes that?

This Mustang starts real easily as long as it's level (in the water) and cold. Warm starts are a bit trickier.

I would like to get a 450cfm 4160... but may have to use this 600cfm for a while. I'll do more checking this weekend and see if I can get it to work better.

Thanks,
Brice

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2007 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by LakeHoliday LakeHoliday wrote:

What causes that?

popping and farting when you dump the throttle.

If you use a vacuum gauge to set the air screws, do it in gear. Make sure there is no slop in the accel pump, secondaries are forced fully closed by the linkage, and timing is set right.

River Rat to Mole
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeHoliday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2007 at 1:30pm
GottaSki, thanks for the tips. Looks like I'm going to have a busy weekend. But, this is the kind of busy I don't mind at all.
bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2007 at 2:14pm
I had problems with a 600cfm carb on my stock 302.It was just a tad to much carb for a stock engine.I had to go with the 450cfm and the boat runs much better once you dial it in.Trust me thats what your going to want to do and it will save you some headache.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeHoliday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2007 at 2:46pm
Thanks everyone. I'm working on getting a 450cfm now. I'll let you know how things work out for me.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2007 at 6:51pm
You could always go the other route and hop that 302 up to a 347 stroker, then you can use your 600 carb. See that new 450 carb doesn't seem so expensive after looking at other options. Hope everything works out for you.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic