NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WTB 13x14x1 Prop

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WTB 13x14x1 Prop
    Posted: March-28-2007 at 7:36am
Anyone have a 3 blade 13x14 RH prop for a 1" shaft available? Must be in very good, but not necessarily perfect shape.

Please email stevee@ecc-controls.com

Thanks.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2007 at 10:34am
RainDog, If I may be so bold,why do you need a 14 pitch, mods or boat must different than most of us.
yes i have a 13x14 w/a little cup,was not enough for my 331.Ended up w/Austrel 4 blade 13x14 lotta cup,slowed rpms to 5200.
Let me know............boat dr
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2007 at 1:19pm
Doc,
I'm using the prop to establish a starting point. The boat is the red and white 1962 Classic that was for sale in the gallery (Just bought it yesterday). It has the original Gray Marine 327 in it. It was originally 215HP but probably is around 225HP now. The original specs have the boat topping out at 4200 to 4400 RPM.

The previous owner had a 13x14 with little or no cup originally. This prop was destroyed when it was being repaired. He had a 12x13 he threw on it but never ran the boat (I know this prop is unsuitable).

I've since found a reconditioned 13x14 for a great price. With this prop I can get some RPM/MPH data I can then invest in a better prop later this year or next year.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or info you may have on my approach.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2007 at 3:14pm
Rain Dog,with this old boat I am wondering if you have enough clearance to run a 13" prop.I had to extend my shaft to get the needed distance.You should have 10% between blade tip and the hull,do you have 1.3"? If not you will "BURN" the hull .
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2007 at 11:55pm
Doc, I'll double check the tip to hull clearance. If it is too close, the previous owners ran the wrong prop for 20 years!

I found a brand new OJ legend 13x13 3 blade with a medium level of cup for $175 at a local shop. Any insight on how this might work on my boat?

Also, can you provide a practical dissertation on what performance characteristics are altered when increasing cup?
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2007 at 8:48am
Raindog,Also, can you provide a practical dissertation on what performance characteristics are altered when increasing cup?
Thats a lotta big words there buddy,I will try ,with my limited vocabulary,to explain the reasonfor adding cup to a prop.
BITE,or Rotational Slippage....boat dr
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2007 at 9:03am
So, more cup, more bite and less rotational slippage, right?

I think I know what a burned hull looks like. I was wondering how the fiberglass became eroded around the rudder.

I measured the prop tip to hull clearance with a 12" prop and it is 1".

Dang. I just lost my starting point of reference. I'll still throw on the 13x14 but I won't run it too much. I guess I'm starting to shop for a 12"x?? with cup.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2007 at 9:22am
Sounds like youre going in the right direction- a 12" diameter prop should work well. To get an idea how much pitch you want to end up with, you'll really need to get some baseline speed/RPM data. Either a 12x13 or 12x14 would be a good starting point.

Adding cup has a similar effect as going to a larger pitch prop. It will bring down RPM and increase speed (assuming youre staying in the boat's powerband). For instance, cup can be added to a 12x13 prop to make the WOT performance similar to a comparable 12x14. Ive been told that a cupped prop will not sacrifice holeshot as much as a prop with more pitch.

However, at some point it is possible to add too much cup. The way it was explained to me is that cupping the trailing edge of the prop is similar to a flap on an airplane wing. Too much cup and it will just add drag, rather than speed.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2007 at 9:22am
RainDog,
Go back to the basics,12x13 will give you the starting point that will lead to the correct prop.
A good prop shop can cut down your 13" to the proper size, 12x13 with some cup will get you to the proper WOT rpm range. This should be 4500 RPM's............hope I have confused you ...............boat dr
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2007 at 9:27am
TRBenj,Hi Jack on the HI Teks.....
Manifolds left Australia yesterday,should receive them Weds. or Thursday.........
"Like the cat that got his tail caught in the fan...........WON'T BE LONG NOW"............
               boat dr
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2007 at 10:49am
Send em out priority, Doc... I want them by the weekend!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic