NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

F***** Surgery!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: F***** Surgery!!
    Posted: March-28-2007 at 9:57am
Well a few months ago i was out snowboarding & som Ahole wasnt paying attention & cut right in front of me, i didnt have time to react quick enough, cut real hard, but hit him anyways. Thought i just tweaked my shoulder a bit and all it needed was just a few weeks/month to heal & get back to normal, well after about a month & 1/2 it still hurt so i went to the doctor. Long story, not so short... Ive got a labral tear and a fractured glenoid (Socket part of the shoulder). Surgery next Thurs April 5th, doctor says the max recovery time is 3 months, i'm hoping with as much as i work out & as athletic as i am i can do it in 2... we'll see. Gotta love how I wait all winter for april to come so i can try out my new drysuit & now its almost here and Ive gotta go into surgery, and wont be able to wakeboard/barefoot until at earliest mid june.... AWESOME!!

(Sorry for the pissy rant, just needed to bitch a little bit)

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2007 at 10:06am
Nate,

You're looking at this all wrong.

This surgery is not preventing you from wakeboarding for 3 months - it is enabling you to wakeboard, snow ski, lift weights, play softball, whatever it is you do, for the rest of your life.

Good luck. I wish you a speedy recovery. BKH
Livin' the Dream

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2007 at 10:20am
you know i could watch your boat for ya, it will be in good hands.
sorry to hear about the shoulder. about two months ago the ladder kicked out from underneath me when i was in the attic and i f-d up my shoulder too. it still hurts and i know what the doctor wants to do.
good luck
"the things you own will start to own you"
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2007 at 10:43am
Just went under the knife a month ago to remove a 1/2" off my left clavical to eliminate level 3 arthritis... Nate, this is full inclusive surgery.. It will take at least three months to heal and another 3 months to rehab.. I wouldn't make any ski resort reservations just yet.. It's gonna hurt like a sum-bitch for some time, but you'll be fixed up the right way, so look on the bright side like Brian said...

Best of luck to you...

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2007 at 11:07am
Turn adversity into opportunity. You've got plenty of time to dedicate teaching others to ski and better their abilities.
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2007 at 11:20am
Sorry to hear about your shoulder injury. Just make sure you are all healed up before you push to hard. Like the others said, there will be more time for the water when you are better.

Good luck with the surgery!
Greg

86 BFN
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2007 at 11:22am
Eric... thanks for the offer, but we're pulling it out of storage this weekend, & bringing it home, so hopefully i can get some work done on it before next week....I've just gotta figure out how to drive it left handed now

Moj' the doctor said 3 months till im released to   full activity with it, from what i remember, it's 1 month in a sling, almost completely inactive. and 2 months of rehab. From what i understand they've got to re-attach my ligament back to the bone with a couple screws, and i dunno what theyll do about the fracture. but i dunno, i was more in shock then anything when he said it couldnt wait until October & had to be done now in order to fix it correctly.

BKH... yeah Ive been trying to drill that into my head over the past few days, yeah ill miss a few months but hopefully I'll be set up for years of pain free fun lifting, barefooting, wakeboarding, playing hockey, soccer, climbing, etc.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2007 at 11:29am
I gotta agree with the rest of the guys here Nate. I sorta had the same thing happen to me except I blew out my ankle. I knew if I took off that boot that sucker would have swollen up like Barry Bonds on steroids. Went as long as I could till I couldn't go anymore. Boarded on it the next day but just sinched it up tighter. Probably a dumb call as I'm paying for it now and probably will for the rest of my life. Never had it looked at until 6 months later and now left ankle lets me know it's there daily. It's always sore bothered and I can't put alot of weight on it for an extended period of time with it REALLY hurting. Don't push it and press your luck. Let it heal properly like the guy's suggested. It may be worth a few months instead of a lifetime.

Foot
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2007 at 12:02pm
Like everybody says Nate. Take your time in returning. I ruptured a biceps tendon about 8 years ago. The doc said that I would never be able to lift (curl) as much as I could before the tear and that full recovery would take at least nine months. That was all the incentive I needed. In six months I was lifting more than I could before the surgery and the doc wanted to use me as a poster boy on what to do to properly rehab from a surgery. It totally sucked not being able to ski but it was still fun getting together with my ski partners and I was the full time driver! That was all that helped me through it (I had my surgery on July 11 so the rest of my summer was shot).

Just remember that when it's time to start the rehab process that there is a really fine line between pushing the shoulder for regaining the strength and conditioning and totally f*****g it up even worse. Light weight (and I mean really light weight) and more reps is key.

Good luck.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2007 at 12:15pm
Yeah, I'm definitely not going to rush it & screw my self over some more, but like you said backfoot when rehab starts, just dont cross the line, but work my ass off.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2007 at 12:25pm
nates78ski,
There came a time in my life,I'm 53, my brain said YES,my body said NO.Back surg. on L4 and L5 ,therapy and a long healing process taught me TWO THINGS.
#1 RULE; I AM 53 YEARS OLD, NOT 35
#2 RULE; I CAN DO ANYTHING I WANT,AS LONG AS I REMEMBER RULE #1
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2007 at 1:27pm
Nate,

I really didnt' want to turn to a discussion about my injuries, but to add some credibility to my advice: I, unfortunately, have more experience than most at doing what the doctor's say, and at ignoring injuries. I have given up multiple summers to injury and if I had it to do over, I would have given up more.

Spent my infant years with braces on my legs and special shoes.
By age 8 I had both feet reconstructed.
Between 16 and 20 I had seven knee surgeries.
At 42, two spinal surgeries because I was going paralyzed from the chest down.
This is not to mention, broken hand, broke every finger, multiple ankle breaks, broke every toe, multiple shoulder disclocations, broken ribs, torn muscles and tendons, and at least 5 discs in my back which still need repair.

All total, I've spent over a year in wheelchairs, about 3 years on crutches, and over 5 years in casts, splints or braces.

Still, at 43, I can't be sure how long I'll be able to ski with my kid. I have trouble even carrying her. I can do most things I want to do, albeit much slower than I used to, but again, I can't be sure how long that will last.

As I said, if I had it to do over, I'd gladly have given up more summers.

Take the best care you can now. If not, you will likely regret it later. BKH
Livin' the Dream

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2007 at 1:50pm
Nate,

Let that be a lesson to you, next time just bear down and run right through that SOB!!

Seriously, your young and have lot's of ski seasons ahead so don't fret. Good luck with the surgery and rehab, and may all the nurses in charge of your care be Smokin' Hot Babes!!
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2007 at 3:19pm
now you know why god gives men 2 useable hands.... just in case we injure one we gotta back up, wouldnt want you getting lonely

BK.. i was starting to feel bad for the guy, i still do
"the things you own will start to own you"
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2007 at 3:20pm
While we are venting..

I have a slight labrum tear myself at the moment, told the physical therapist that I needed it ready for waterskiing/wakeboarding this summer. (Told him my fat ass could compromise and take the summer off from triathalons and canoe races if I needed to) He went into a tirade about how I am getting older and I need to think about how much money I make waterskiing and wakeboarding and whether I really need to partake in such activities at this stage in my life.   I am only 30 years old, and I make my living in front of a computer, its not like a pain in the shoulder is going to put me out of work. In the words of Bugs Bunny.. what a maroon. Needless to say I am working with a different physical therapist at this point, one who's kids I taught how to sail and waterski at summer camp a few years back and knows what life is really about..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2007 at 5:24pm
That's funny Joe. One of my back surgeons broke his leg wakeboarding about 2 weeks after my surgery. Obviously, he's not trying to talk me out of water sports, but he does remind me that "we" aren't getting any younger. BKH
Livin' the Dream

The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2007 at 5:45pm
Nate,

Best to you, tough break. I'm sure with your attitude you will get back to where you want to be.
Like you say, with your overall physical condition you should be a step ahead. You'll probably go nuts with warm weather looming and your arm in a sling.
Brian, you are the man, and you obviously have some stories. I always like hearing of people who take adversity and cram it back into a dark hole and look towards the light.

Chuck

Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2007 at 6:01pm
Nate look at it this way that dry suit will still be brand new for the fall runs and early winter.

Let the shoulder heal the right way, both my wrists are screwed up from wrecking a motorcycle when I was 18. They both hurt like hell from time to time. Half a summer is no big deal. Oh yeah if the doc say no skiing he means it. I skied for 5 weeks with a broken hand, the doc told me I was lucky that I didn't screw it up.
bchesley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bchesley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2007 at 9:02am
I had shoulder surgery 6 years ago to repair a grade 3 ac repair. I was in an immobilizer for 6 weeks and rehab for another 6 weeks before I could even think about sports. Soft tissue takes up to 6 months to heal properly. Bone heals much quicker. So just because the bone will heal that cartilage will take twice as long. Good luck and be patient. If you tweek it again it could be lights out on all sports....

Brad
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2007 at 10:02am
Originally posted by nates78ski nates78ski wrote:

... Ive got a labral tear and a fractured glenoid (Socket part of the shoulder).

Nate

if the fracture is around the edge of the glenoid then it will heal quickly if the fracture is threw the center or 1/3 towards the center then take your time and let it mend or it will create a ridge/bump which will require more surgeries as in plural as you grow older leading to a need to resurfacing and/or replacement of the glenoid. It's going to be artritic (sp) regardless

so just play it safe and take it slow you'll have plenty of time to ski later in life.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2007 at 10:23am
Hey Chris,
I elected to catch up on some badly need beer drinking time after my shoulder surgery. The 12 oz curls worked great for rehab.. An occassional stretch to get the chips or the phone to order pizza got me back up and running in no time.... What the hell.. Now I'm full training for GL hahaha

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2007 at 10:45am
That's the ticket, cold pop's not the weight/exercise room.

You still have to do range of motition and strecthing type exercises but not heavy/medium lifting that would strain the joint and spread the glenoid. You have to have some micro motion for the bone to heal quickly but nothing excesive.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2007 at 11:06am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

You still have to do range of motition and strecthing type exercises

This is where the hook shots come into play discarding the empty curling weights.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2007 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

You still have to do range of motition and strecthing type exercises

This is where the hook shots come into play discarding the empty curling weights.

Right on .. Who needs therapy,, well that is unless the therapist was 22, blond and curvy....
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2007 at 1:26pm
[/QUOTE]Right on .. Who needs therapy,, well that is unless the therapist was 22, blond and curvy.... [/QUOTE]

haha... in which case ill need therapy at least 3 times a day, 5 times if she happened to be a brunette (more of a brunette man)

79... i believe the fracture was near the edge of the glenoid, so hopefully youre right & itll heal quickly, then just to wait for the labrum....

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2007 at 10:27pm
BKH: Holy Cow! I'd like to hear more of your story... duderama@gmail.com
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2007 at 10:56pm
Maybe another time. I'd like to hear how Nate's story goes. I believe his surgery is tomorrow. Good luck Nate. BKH
Livin' the Dream

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2007 at 11:48pm
Nate: Follow what the Doc orders. Ya got lots of years left if ya can use 'em. So ya gotta be in the proper shape.

Brian: What a story. Now my 56ish aches and pains don't seem so bad.

Dude: Nice to see you on. Haven't noticed much from you lately.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2007 at 12:35am
thanks guys, i go under @ 9.30 tomorrow am, so we'll see how everything goes...just finished my last night of hockey an hour ago for the next few months, one good final skate to tie me over for a little while.
Hopefully talk to everyone soon.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2007 at 7:56am
Good luck Nate.
Hit the physical therapy as hard as they let you.
I had an ACL replaced in April of 2002. Doc said no skiing for the summer. The therapist (Blond, 24, smokin) worked me hard and I was skiing and footin at the end of July (Doctor said I could ski if I took it easy). Tore a Labrum in the left shoulder in July, 2004 and after therapy, was on the water end of Sept, with the doctors blessing. It's not the end of the world and the sympathy that you get from those in bikinis is great. And, being the designated boat driver, you won't have to fetch your own drink for a while.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic