NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop Test: Acme #540 vs. '79 Federal

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2004 at 2:26pm
Hi, Gottaski exzactly like that!!

Only thing I could add

I like neversieze in final install,

Great site here
GottaSki View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2004 at 2:48pm
Hey Munday.! Just one ?

I was always hesitant to use a lube on the taper...Do you see any distortion of the keyway or key?

I was thinking I wanted the taper to take most of the torque, and the keyway was there in case some slip occured..

Let us know!
new86owner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new86owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2004 at 2:50pm
FYI,

I have read the reviews and am about to order the 542 prop for my 86 SN 2001. I found this source that has these props for $300.

http://www.marinepropshop.com/acmeprops.html
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2004 at 8:35pm
Gottaski I didn't have a propguard on my 66 trailer so I removed the prop to trailer it. I never saw an distortion of the key or keyway. By the way I also bought an 8' piece of 1/4x1/4 brass stock for 8.00 so I have a ton of extra keys just in case.
cinekw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cinekw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2004 at 6:27pm
For sale ACME #540

Bought it brand new for my 1980 Ski Nautique, used for 2 weeks and sold my boat with the original one, I am in Canada which means that I had to pay for shipping Customs TAX, so If there any Canadian SN owners that are interested in saving some money then this is a deal for you. US customers welcome

Price $400 Canadian FIRM.

Boat replaced with 1990 NS which needs differnt prop.
jacob View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2005 at 4:01am
How much to ship to America 37221?

Jacob
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2005 at 3:53am
Do not hit the puller to hard.This is to simply pop the prop free.It should then slide off the shaft.A brass punch and a nice hammer will have the same results as a puller.I do not reccomend doing it often but in a jamb it will work.

I have an OJ 4 blade and an Acme 540 (bent up the OJ and could not wait for the repair)And the Acme is a Hands down nicer all around prop for skiing.The OJ has a very large wake at about 23 to 25mph (larger than the Acme) but that is about it.
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2005 at 2:27am
Update: My 540 went with my Mustang when I sold it. Even though I primarity slalom, I found a Acme 542 on eBay for a great deal and picked it up. This prop is just as amazing at the 540. Whole shot is unreal. I'm now pulling up slalom skiers at 1/4 throttle (otherwise I'm ripping the rope out of there hands). I gained 1 mph and about 250 rmp at WOT (4,800).

Couldn't be happier.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Steve View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2005 at 12:28am

I am stuck on a 4 blade, but have done exhaustive research on the "net" and I am told the Acme 540 is the way to go. I have an 86 Ski Nautique, with slight engine mods (for a little more horse, ignition, carb, exhaust, etc), and pull 2 heavy bare footers without a problem. Looking for more hole shot....and to keep top speed. Boat mostly used for slalom skiing and barefooting, with some wakeboarding mixed in...

Barefooters use step off ski's, cause the drag time behind the boat is very long.... Also, we pull multiple skiers often...

So in essence, top speed is fine, just need more holeshot, and want to keep top speed.... I can't get over that a 3 blade has more "pop" out of the hole than the 4 blade. I almost purchased the Acme 4 blade, 13x12.5" RH 1", but am holding out..... Might get a 3 blade ACME 540...

Looking for some more guidance....

Thanx,
Steve

Ryno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2006 at 12:51pm
Since we are now in the year 2006; does anyone have any recommendations for a 1971 Ski Nautique prop upgrade?

Thanks!
Ryan
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 2:50am
I have the 542 on my hull and it's a great prop. It runs 30 MPH at 3000 RPM's and 36 MPH at 3600 RPM's. All readings confirmed by two GPS's since I thought it was supposed to have 200 RPM's more at each of the referenced MPH sets, thus the double check with the GPS units.   

Pulls a 240 slalom skiier on a 67" " HO Truth" with less than 1/2 throttle....and that's a big ole boy on a little bitty ski!

I have a rebuilt 289 with slight mods to intake & heads but more compression. IMO this is still a good prop even if your engine is tired and the foam in the hull is water soaked.....or....you weight up with fat sacs and have 4 people in the boat.

My boat porpoised with the original prop and soaked foam. I still don't fully understand why but when I put this prop on the boat it stopped porpoising.
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
Ryno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 11:05am
Thanks for the information and input! My boat has a Chrysler 318 w/ 340 heads; manifold,and holley 4 bbl. It is a very clean restored 1971 Nautique that i bought recently. I have been skiing a few times and am looking to flatten the wake and reduce the prop wash which is why i was intrigued by the article about the prop upgrades. I weigh 155 and ski a 67 Connelly F1...no problem with power or weight issues just looking to get the best out of an old hull so i can keep on beating up my old body! Other than myself my wife skis and my 6 year old got up last weekend!

Thanks again for the info, i truly appreciate it.

Ryan
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 9:04am
Hey Ryno, I have a 60 Nautique, and when I put the 540 prop on we got a lot better perromance. (I also have a 318 Chrysler) I saw great improvement with the hole shot and a flatter wake.
Have you posted any pictures yet? I'd like to see your boat.
Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 12:09pm
Here's some info on the Michigan Wheel 13x12. I used ~5 year old Garmin handheld GPS.

14.5 mph @ 2000 rpm
27.5 mph @ 3000 rpm
37.0 mph @ 4300 rpm

These speeds look low but I ran it several times in smooth water with just a driver (170 lb), 50 lb of gear and 1/2 tank of gas in a 1988 Ski Nautique with 960 hours, original engine/trans.
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2006 at 11:44pm
Hey Guys, My 79 Ski Tique seems to have a smaller prop than the Nautiques I have seen. I noticed that Zigzag mentioned a concern about clearance and I am wondering about this as well. My boat has the stock prop and I think it looks pretty small. We ski most of the time and do a little wake boarding and I feel the boat could pull a skier up a little quicker. Any one know what will fit and make my Tique with a 302 and help it gain speed quicker?
Work to live, not live to work.

wsavini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsavini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2013 at 1:51pm
Is there any newer updates on props? These post are 8 years old now. Thanks
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2013 at 1:52pm
Federals still suck. :/
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2013 at 12:54am
Acme Still roolz
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2013 at 1:49am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Federals still suck. :/

And the '88 still only goes 37.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2018 at 6:21pm
   I just ran across this old post and wanted to bring it back to the top as a warning to anyone reading it. DO NOT grease the taper at the prop!     The grease that comes in the prop puller kit is for the threaded bolt on the puller and NOT the prop taper. I also do not recommend using a block of wood between the prop and hull to prevent rotation. Yes, this sure is "weird"

Originally posted by Rick Rick wrote:

The TAP with the hammer is to loosen the prop after the puller is tightened. Use a TAP don't wail on it. If the tap doesn't cause the prop to pop off, retighten the puller again and tap it again.To tighten the puller put a 2X4 between the prop and the hullto keep the propshaft from turning. Heres where it gets wierd. In the prop pulling kit there is some graese.If not use the waterproof grease you have for thr trailer bearings.When installing the new prop put a thin layer of grease on the shaft before putting the prop back on. That will make it easier to remove it the next time.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
FLCaptain View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2021 at 3:48pm
Do you still have the review? I'm thinking of a 540 or 542 for my 1979 Ski Nautique. I just put 1988 Exhaust Risers on it out of Necessity. I have a new prop and bushing. Would still love to smooth it out and gain some power.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2021 at 5:51am
Best prop for that boat is gonna be a 540. The 542 is lower pitched so your hole shot will be slightly faster than a 540  but your top end will be slower than a 540.  Go with the 540!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic