NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

R U thinking of a new tundra

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2007 at 8:32pm
Ryan,
      We are basically a (union) sheetmetal shop, and if I talk about the projects and name who I work for in the same internet searchable post this engineer will have some explaining to do.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Poster112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poster112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2007 at 10:13pm
Nothing to do with your post, Ryan. I should have quoted what I was referring to. Better yet, I should have just not said anything.
I'd rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal-lobotomy.

1985 Ski

1984 SW
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2007 at 7:41am

Posts: 1320 Posted: April 04 2007 at 12:51pm | IP Logged    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Id by a Ford, to keep my buddy BFN working in turn he has money in his pocket to spend on the luxeries in life like his boat in which i have and it will put money in my pocket to go torwards the purchase of that new Powerstroke f-250,
Its a cycle that what this country was built on, its delicate and if you take one part of the cycle out everything will stall

"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2007 at 7:51am
why is it that everyone wants a Harley and they are twice the price of a jap bike and I'll have to admit the jap bikes do run mantanance free?
Im using this as an example,
   eric
redneck7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneck7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2007 at 1:54pm
Yamaha 600 owner here

By your logic though, if you were in Georgetown, KY you'd buy a Toyota sedan to keep your local business up? No? They employ around 7,000 people there, surely some of them own boats, better line their pockets so they can afford to keep boating. Not an American/Foreign ownership argument there, it's a matter of location of manufacture.

Like I said, lots of people around my way (Norfolk, VA) used to work for Ford, but Ford's pulling out/ closing up the second most efficient plant they have before July. No more F-150's out of Hampton Roads and no more jobs. In the words of one of the workers quoted in a local newspaper article "They asked us to be the best, and we all worked our >>>'s off and we were the best. For what?"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2007 at 4:08pm
OK, we know how it was 25 years ago, what exactly do you see happening 25 years from now, you really have to think about this and with the current trend eventually the way it is going america will possibly be out of the automotive business....possibly, what are the thoughts. include middle class america
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2007 at 4:51pm
I'm not sure how one would speculate that America might be out of the auto business, when Honda, Toyota, Suburu, Nissan
and others have many factories here. If the question is, "Will any auto manufacturer claim their headquarters to be in the Untied States?" I couldn't say. But, I also think it doesn't matter much. As long as American workers, are building cars, in America, then, IMO, america is in the auto business. BKH
Livin' the Dream

redneck7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneck7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2007 at 5:16pm
What BKH just said is what I've been trying to get across: It ain't where the fat man at the top calls home, it's whether or not American workers are employed.

Warning, about to beat a dead horse:

My dad's friend is now working hourly at the parts counter at the local NAPA, his house is for sale, his Ford truck is for sale (bought on the X-plan or A-plan or whatever), the whole nine. Went from living the good life to having 3 months notice that he was going to have to choose between a buyout or just work it till the end, but either option left him jobless come June 25.

That's an "American" car company that's struggling to get by so they leave 3,000 people jobless.

BUT, if it makes you feel better, if I were buying new, today, it'd be a dealer leftover 1 ton Ford that still has the 6.0L.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2007 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by redneck7 redneck7 wrote:

"They asked us to be the best, and we all worked our >>>'s off and we were the best. For what?"

IMHO the true American vehicles, Ford + GM, are the best, and those workers succeeded! For no other reason then a sense of patriotism and the hope it will help ensure a quality job here at home or help keep our economy strong, I will NEVER walk into a Foreign car dealer to buy a vehicle!!
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2007 at 7:22pm
amen
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2007 at 7:43pm
Tey american car companies having troubles, wonder why with all the people here buying foriegn cars. Go figure, I wonder about people like you guys. Your worry about your neighbor having a job but you drive off in your honda can't figure it out, don't know why.

Guess what think japan is going to build cars here when they run Ford and GM out of business don't think so. Why you because they can build them in another country and ship them here for less with no competition.

By the way redneck you friend could have transfered he had the right to come to Michigan and follow his product. If he refused to do this, I don't feel sorry for him. I may be facing the same choice here soon. Difference is I will go where work tells me to.

Let me ask the rest of you one other question, if the US used only your foriegn competitor and it was going to cost you your job would you feel the same way?

Sorry about the rant, but I can see yoor guys lopsided reasoning. If you bought amercin in the first place they would have gone back to Japan in the 80's. I agree with Eric, american is the only way to go.

Oops one more thing when the UAW takes a pay cut guess what happens across the board everyone takes a pay cut, becuase we quit spending money.
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2007 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

As long as American workers, are building cars, in America, then, IMO, america is in the auto business. BKH

Well said BKH(as usual).
Hasn't this all been covered before?It perks my interest again this time around because I just traded my beloved 2000 Tundra for a brand new Dodge Ram(yes,it has a Hemi).
   Why,I don't know.Maybe because they were giving them away.I like the truck so far,but I find it hard to believe I will be able to run it 100,000 miles and get 60% of my money back like I did with the Toyota.FWIW I looked at new Chevys(way overpriced,IMHO)and the new Tundra.Couldn't get past the look of the new Toyota...haven't seen a truck that ugly since the 2000 Ford f150(no offense to any owners out there,just don't like em).
   Funny thing about it is that I don't feel any better about buying the Dodge instead of a foriegn vehicle,maybe because I already have 400 miles on it and I'm driving around now just waiting for something to break.I hope I'm wrong.Makes me wonder.... what is wrong with the U.S. auto industry that allows you to purchase a brand new vehicle for 11k off the sticker and still maximize your foriegn trade in value?You don't see those kinds of deals at the Honda/Toyota dealerships.    

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2007 at 8:27pm
heres my take 25 years form now.... Toyota Nissan, they are now supplying 95% of all vehicles to the US..... Chevy, Ford long gone(cant stay in business if you aint selling.
now they have the majority which means they are calling the shots, sure they employ many people you know friends, family, niehbors
Now what possibly could you, me,the shareholders or even the government do if they woke up one day and thought hey lets double our profits or lets cut the workers saleries in half or lets only employ men, I think you get the point, right now you may be saying to yourself why would they wanna do that, its because they could. thats the point im getting at.

05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2007 at 8:58pm
   I hear you Eric,but that doesn't make them any different than any other manufacturer in any business.If the American auto makers could have us by the b@lls,they would.They can't because they have competition.I feel for people in the U.S. losing manufacturing jobs,but I firmly believe that Ford,GM,and Chrysler would be sticking it to us if there was no foriegn market.What would the big three be doing if they were the only three?
   Somebody(in the auto industry) please explain to me why it costs more for a U.S. auto maker to build a vehicle and profit from it than it does a foriegn auto maker in the same country.Do they pay employees more?do they pay more for materials,taxes?I'm not being a smartass,I honestly don't know.Does it cost more for Gm/ford to build a vehicle than Toyota and why?Are the U.S.automakers overproducing,causing them to lower retail prices to clear inventory.Does that cost cutting get passed to the hard working employees while the upper management goes uneffected?Anyone that has some information without starting a huge argument,I am honestly interested to know.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2007 at 11:16pm
Mike alot has to do with ford and gm costs of retired workers. GM has over 500,000 retired workers collecting benefits. Ford has I think 180,000 plus workers that are retired receiving benefits. These benefits are just a cost, they are nolonger getting any work out of these people. The foreign car companies have not yet incurred any of these costs.

Toyota has come to the reallity that they are going to have to start paying some of these costs soon, hence why they have started to look at cost savings right now. But hat is only part of it.

By the way I apologize for my rant earlier, if I offened anyone that wasn't my intent. But some of the view points of people don't make sense to me. Everyone has the right to their own opinion. But please dont' say your mad at ford because a friend of yours and an entire community lost their jobs when you do not support their product. You can not own a foreign car and be mad at the big three for closing plants.

By the way it was asked earlier if the big three would screw the public if they could. From 1986-1996 for had the best selling car the Taurus. 1993-2003 The big three dominated the SUV market. Did they screw the public in any way shape or form? As long as the big three are around there is compotition. If you get rid of the big three and no car makers have there head quaters here, then our government has no control over them. They simply say don't like are rules, well we will take are car and go home. Then the US is left with out a car manufacture now what? I believe this is the point Eric was getting at.

BY the way next time you see a foreign car on a lot, check the sticker see if it was actually made here or if it was imported. Honda make a roughly 180,000 accords in the US and still imports over 200,000 accords. If your selling that many and your palnt can't keep up build a new plant.

Just so you don't think I am crazy, I practice what I preach. MY f-150 made in dearborn, my focus made in wayne both in Michigan. MY dad's dually f-350 made Kentucky truck, my mom's towncar made in Wixom also michigan. You will not find a car made in mexico or Canada in my fleet of cars or anyone in my family. My family owns all fords all made in the states. I can not control the fact that US goverment, signs free trade agreements which makes us companies use a certain amount of foreign supplied parts to build their vehicles in other countries, which no one will buy because of the hevy import tax that every country uses except the US.

I like all the guys people here on this site, so I am just going to keep my mouth shut on topics like this and I wont bring them up myself any more. The people are great people and hate to be at odds with them over car issue. It's a boat site, I am going to leave it at that. For those of us that like the big three we can shoot the sh*t someplace else.
redneck7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneck7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2007 at 11:18pm
87BFN-

You are correct that in the context of this discussion, my reasoning is a bit lopsided...I'm advocating buying foreign because Ford isn't employing people, but Ford isn't employing people because they aren't selling...I'll concede that. BUT, my original bid in this discussion was just to buy based on the truck and not whether or not it was American. That was it. I just get annoyed with the mentality that it has to have a blue oval, a gold cross or a ram's head to be marketable to some people. Toyota makes a good truck. It's ludicrous to hear people say that Toyota's have no power or Toyota's don't last. If you don't want to buy them, that's one thing, but just because they aren't one of the big three doesn't make them crap.

To each their own, and you may have followed Ford to Michigan, but you don't live on the ocean currently I'm guessing and you don't have 2 kids in high school. Up and moving a kid in the middle of high school is not really recommended by child psychologists, leaving your home town of 48 years, leaving your friends, etc, it's not that easy. That's what our friend was/is faced with.

As I've said many times over, to each their own, as long you aren't preventing me from buying what I want, I don't really care what you buy, but don't be ignorant to the capabilities of a truck just because it has a Japanese badge on the front.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2007 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

From 1986-1996 for had the best selling car the Taurus.

87/James,

The Taurus was not the best selling car because it was a good car, or even a popular car. Rather, in 1987, Ford paid $1.3B for an 80% stake in Hertz. It then flooded the rental car market with Taurus and other Ford products. It did so primarily so it could make a claim as the most popular car in the world, and so it could keep other vendors out of the market, including other American car makers, and in particular at that time, Chrysler.

I think I could probably put forth a factual dispute to many of the points you've made, but
that's not my intent.

My perspective would be that you have a set of beliefs built around your own experiences, job, union membership etc. They are yours, and should be respected. No one is likely to change your opinion, and you aren't likely to change theirs. It's like trying to convince a person to change religions. Not likely to happen. My $.02. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2007 at 7:32am
thats whats great about this country, these topics make you think and see things from many different points of view and many opinions. maybe you believe one thing but you read another opinion and you think to yourself maybe im wrong or even maybe im right. but in the long run you belive strongly in what you will do
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2007 at 11:08am
I think these are good discussions. Obviously how we live and work are huge parts of our lives, so we have personal feelings that come to the surface. I got to thinking, every car in our family fleet is a Ford, except for my oldest son's. He was able to find work at a Toyota dealership, so he drives a Tundra. Otherwise, next son a Ranger, youngest son a Mustang, my wife a Sable, and myself a 2000 F150--one of the ugly ones. Except for the oldest son we bought those vehichles primarily because they were the most economical choice for what we wanted.
It is my understanding that Ford and GM have to add about $2K per vehichle to take care of benefits for retirees--so that makes it tough to compete.
I do think these discussions help inform myself and others. Just as I learn about boats from you guys I can learn about other facets of life.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2007 at 11:51am
All you guys are missing one hugh, industry changing thing that is going to happen. New emmisson's regulations. When that happens then it levels the playing field some. Pretty sure that is what GM is waiting on to happen, then the internal combustion engine is out the door.

And for all you guys that think the Japs are way out front on the alternate fuels/hybrids do you know where they bought the technology? GM and do you really think that they (GM) sold them the top of the line items no they didn't.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2007 at 1:15pm
if your thinking about buying a honda accord go look at the ford fusion, we have one here and its a great looking car, i wonder what the pricing is compared to the sushi delivery car,
I am thinking about buying one for the wife, does anyone have one?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2007 at 1:44pm
If you buy a Chevy truck in Maine, it is made in Canada. Isn't it really an import? My recent purchase of a US truck benefited the Canadian workers, not the US workers. This is kind of confusing.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2007 at 4:39pm
Canadians also drive alot of chevys, fords chryslers, I bet if you go over to the big J, you wont find any of the big three.
Next time you see a Japenese family around your town notice what they are driving, I bet you any amount of money they'll be in a Honda or a Toyota. where's the courtesy?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2007 at 4:48pm
I hear ya, I don't buy Japanese. I've never owned anything by a GM or a Ford.
Poster112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poster112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2007 at 5:15pm
Courtesy? Who do the Japanese owe courtesy to? They are taking pride in what their country designs, just like some are telling us to do, so they buy those autos. In my garage and driveway there is a Mitsubishi, Honda, Toyota, and a Mercury. All have their good points and bad points. The Mercury pulls the boat. It is easier to work on the Mercury, though.
Here in Alabama, we have a Mercedes plant, Honda plant, and Hyundai plant. The labor at all of these plants is 95% American. What about their jobs? These are American jobs.
I'd rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal-lobotomy.

1985 Ski

1984 SW
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2007 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

If you bought amercin in the first place they would have gone back to Japan in the 80's. I agree with Eric, american is the only way to go.

The mid seventies to eighties were a sad, sad chapter in American car building. The big three should hang their heads in shame because of the cars they had us driving back then (excluding the Grand National of course :))
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2007 at 6:01pm
M3Fan

Surely you're not speaking disparagingly of my 1976 Nova that ran down the highway like a sideways dog?

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2007 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by The Lake The Lake wrote:

M3Fan

Surely you're not speaking disparagingly of my 1976 Nova that ran down the highway like a sideways dog?

Chuck

I had a '74 Dart that rode the same way. What a POS.
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2007 at 8:34pm
   Thanks for some of the insight James.I can't help but think that someone should have been planning better for the retiree situation.If you know you have to pay your taxes,you save some of your profit to do that,instead of trying to coax more money out of someone or cut costs after the fact to make up the difference.I guess it's on a much bigger scale than that in the real world,but it seems a little like corporate greed again.
   I think it's great that you defend your employer and the American Auto industry,the problem is definately alot bigger than just cars and trucks in this country.You are obviously a dedicated employee,hopefully Ford will reward you for that down the road.

No offense on the 2000 F150 comment,Lake. Doesn't JBear also own one of those

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2007 at 9:57am
Mike

No offense taken; it's only purpose in life is pull a little old Nautique to the ramp and back.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic