Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Southwind 20 MAJOR project

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
southwind19?? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southwind19?? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Southwind 20 MAJOR project
    Posted: April-03-2007 at 11:25pm
A few years ago me and some buddys thought it would be cool to have a boat....4 years later and im just now starting to get it in the water!!!! here are some highlights:

Bought for $600. 20 feet of fiberglass has got to be worth that! but the guy didnt know if the engine ran

2 years later and everything is pritty much striped out...incuding the Chrysler 318

I got it back in late 2004, a bit worse for the ware, but at least it had a new(er) engine a Chrysler 360

Unfortunetly it probably came out of a DODGE truck

SO heres my questin: How do I get this thing to spin the prop so i can see if it flotes?
UUUmmmm HEY guys....whats THIS do?? If you start your sentence with UUmm....you probably don't know what your talking about
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2007 at 8:17am
s.19,
What year is the boat? Does the 360 and the 318 have the same engine rotation-direction?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2007 at 11:14am
Yeah gonna need a little more info on the engine and what has been done to it if anything. Pictures would help, you probably at least need to change the direction of the prop and index the pump on the transmission... we can get you there... depending on how far you are and what you have it might not be cheap..
Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southwind19?? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2007 at 5:50pm
Thanks for your input Im new to this computer messageing thing so i reposted in the General section not sure what to do now with both strings??

the 19?? is B/C I dont know the year yet but i read a string on what to look for on the name plate, so i will do that as soon as i get the cover off in a few weeks

as far as the engine, How do I tell what direction its pointing? I will have pictures soon
UUUmmmm HEY guys....whats THIS do?? If you start your sentence with UUmm....you probably don't know what your talking about

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southwind19?? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2007 at 6:36pm
Hi everyone! I've been reading for days on your GREAT website and have gotten the bug so bad I cant wait to get the cover off my early '70's (I think) Southwind 20 (I think)

I will be starting this project this April/may with an attempt to get it in the water by july and see how much more work needs to be done.

Here are some lowlights so far:

Bought her in 2001 with 2 buddys

Noone had time or money to get her going, so she sat (uncoverd) for 4 years untill I got it back form them in '05

I cleand her up and found they had replaced the crysler 318 with a 360 that may (or may not) have come out of a dodge truck

And by repacing the engine I mean They took the old one out with all the wireing and everything, and put the new one in with no wireing or any kind of ignition

Now i need to get it wired back up and in the water for a test.....a flot test...i just need that engine to spin that prop enough to get it off the triler and back on again

If anyone is in my area, Albany, New York, or if I could pick your bain form here, or if you want to have a look at it yourself I can tow it to you. If you are willing to help I would greatly appricate any help you could give me

I have All the TIME and SPACE...some of the KNOWLEGE and SKILL... and little money and tools

Thanks again for the GREAT websit

Sean

PS: If I can get pictures on this thing I will as soon as I take the cover off!!
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2007 at 12:07am
Originally posted by southwind19?? southwind19?? wrote:

as far as the engine, How do I tell what direction its pointing? I will have pictures soon

Sean, Its not the direction the engine is pointing....its which way the engine"spins" when its running. Most cars and trucks engines run clockwise when looking at them from the front of the vehicle. Most "older" inboards run counter-clockwise, or left-hand. So if thats the case, you cant "just take" a truck motor and transplant it as is.

got pics yet?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2007 at 8:11am
Sean,
Let me back up a minute... technically the motor could "point" in one of two directions. flywheel-forward / or flywheel- aft...

Not knowing the exact year of your boat...Im guessing in the 70s? Its probably an "aft" setup. This means the trans is bolted to the "rear" of the engine...(same as the truck). These engines were usually "reverse" rotation. (opposite of the trucks)

In the "early" years, there were a few setups, where the flywheel faces the front of the boat and the trans is actually driven from the "hamonic balencer" end of the crankshaft. This motor normally would spin the same direction as the motor that came out of your truck.

Let us know what you got?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southwind19?? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2007 at 6:33pm
62 wood

are there any particuler piture areas you would like to see? any closeups?? were is the best place to find engine tags and such?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southwind19?? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2007 at 7:34pm
PS:
due to some grafic content (the boat is in bad shap) viewer descrestion is advised! LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southwind19?? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2007 at 7:39pm
wow that was tuff. ok so I got some really great pics, but i ant get them small enough to post. I can e-mail them if it would help (I think)
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2007 at 11:26pm
post on photobucket then use the URL address for each picture tp post here. There are instructions on how to post pictures, if you try to up load they have to be small but if you do it on photobucket it doesn't matter.
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2007 at 5:31pm
The alternator looks good!!
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2007 at 5:52pm
That small section of hose is new, so it should be good too.
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2007 at 5:56pm
yeah...and maybe he can save the coil too!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southwind19?? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2007 at 8:07pm
ok so im on Potobucket there are 5 pics. here is one link http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w22/southwind1970/100_0561.jpg
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2007 at 8:19pm

ok so im on Potobucket there are 5 pics. here is one link

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southwind19?? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2007 at 8:24pm
lets try it like this
Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4
Pic 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southwind19?? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2007 at 8:27pm
TRB how did you do that?
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2007 at 9:11pm
copy and paste the img code, not the url link, the pick will just show up without clicking on anything.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southwind19?? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2007 at 9:49pm
ok thanks, i'll do that next time...i hope the links are ok 4 now.

so are there any nameplats or tags i should look for??

and could someone tell me if the first thing i should do is put the carb back on or redo the blower hoses and water hoses? is is there some other step before i do that stuff?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southwind19?? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2007 at 6:33pm
snow in the area today it was 50 yesterday it looks like another 2 weeks till i can the cover off but still need to know if the carb or hoses should be first. and should i rig up some sort of Fake-lake for when i start up the engine for some testing or is a short time ok without water?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2007 at 7:18pm

should i rig up some sort of Fake-lake for when i start up the engine for some testing or is a short time ok without water?

Its not OK to run the motor without water for any significant length of time. I wont do it at all, but some will run it for 10-15 seconds and havent reported any side effects. Any longer than that and you risk damaging your impeller.

The easiest way to run the motor out of water is to attach a garden hose to the water pickup. I have a T in the water line between the strainer and tranny cooler. You can install one for $10 in parts from Home Depot.

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2007 at 9:55pm
MM: This guy looks like his motor could use our help. Well you guys helping and me watching and getting parts or food. Hope he gets some on of the whole boat.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2007 at 10:40pm
when he gets rid of that septic tank off the back of the motor it will look fine and run even better. TRB hows that exhaust project going anyway?
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2007 at 10:57pm
I would think that a guy with Tim's skill would have lost that thing by now. Had one of those on my 93. Hated the sound of that boat.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2007 at 9:14am
My invertaflow's days are numbered. Still waiting to pull the boat out of storage... it should only be a week or so now.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southwind19?? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2007 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

MM: This guy looks like his motor could use our help. Well you guys helping and me watching and getting parts or food. Hope he gets some on of the whole boat.

john

I'm not sure you were talking about my boat, but if you were any help would be greatly appreciated. The boat, Which I will name "SPEEDY SEA" after my nickname at the firehouse "Speedy C" , is in bad shape. Mostly striped of parts and in need of at least new floor/stringers and gellcoat/paint, not to mention all the wireing and gages for the engine. Also a new blower and bilge. did i mention that i thought the trailer was to small for the 20 footer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southwind19?? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2007 at 10:33am
watch this post for pics today the cover is commin off!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southwind19?? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2007 at 2:14pm
here is the overall picture, if I get a chance I will be doing a Diary soon

93/70 ccpb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93/70 ccpb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2007 at 12:41am
hey southwind 19 where are you located?your project looks almost like mine,i working on a 1970 swinger,the scaled down model,6 cyl chrysler slant six,no ski pole,no transom ladder,i think it will be in the water by the end of summer,have some flooring issues ,and have to get it water tested before i go get the registration numbers,check it out in the diaries section,any help would be appreciated thanks dan in ohio.
what you dont want to hear from jbear and bill.you cant get in the boat till you get your minute,and they throw you back in water!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic