NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Installing Propellor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Installing Propellor
    Posted: April-20-2007 at 12:53am
I just put on my new Acme 540 and can't get it far enough up the shaft to get the cotter in. I am using all of my strength to tighten down the nut without stripping it. Anyone got a suggestion other than for me to get some more muscle?

Do you think that it could be the alignment of the woodruff key holding the prop back? I have about an inch between my prop and the mount that holds the drive shaft, i tried finding out the real name of it but failed.
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 6:49am
2K4, Take the prop off and try it without the key. This will confirm if the key is to wide. If it is then the top of the key needs to be filed down. If it's not the key, I have seen where combination of the taper on the shaft and the prop are off enough that the cotter pin won't go in the castilated nut. You can ether get a brass Nyloc nut or file the slot in the nut slightly deeper.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 9:52am
Not sure how your prop shaft is cut for the key but mine has the keyway rounded on the end closest to the prop strut. You have to be careful if you're putting the key in while sliding the prop on and not letting the key slide toward the front (strut) because the front edge of it will raise and not allow the prop to seat fully. Put the prop on and then slide the key into the keyway. If the key doesn't fit, you might have to lightly file or sand it so it just fits.

Pete is right, try it without the key to make sure that the prop itself fits. Then put the key in. You don't have to worry about stripping that nut. If you can that, Metropolis and Lois Lane are trying to find you. That doesn't have to be that tight anyway. The castle nut is just snugged up.
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 9:54am
Would a little lubrication on the shaft hurt? I know they make that stuff to put on the shaft to prevent the prop from freezing on to the shaft. Tim B. would be the perfect person to chim in here.

Ken
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 10:22am
Ken, YES the lub or anti seeze WILL hurt. The taper on the shaft and prop transmit the torque from the engine to the prop. Don't do it because you will probably shear the key and mess up the shaft and prop. The tight fit is why they make prop pullers.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2007 at 12:42am
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

You have to be careful if you're putting the key in while sliding the prop on and not letting the key slide toward the front (strut) because the front edge of it will raise and not allow the prop to seat fully. Put the prop on and then slide the key into the keyway.

That is what was wrong. The key was to far up and wouldnt let the prop go far enough. I carefully used a hammer and a piece of wood to tap the key down then tightened up the nut
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2007 at 10:12am
Originally posted by wakeboardin2k4 wakeboardin2k4 wrote:

I have about an inch between my prop and the mount that holds the drive shaft, i tried finding out the real name of it but failed.

btw- that thing that holds the prop shaft in place is called a strut.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2007 at 12:43pm
Thanks. At the time of that post i had searched all over ski dim trying to figure out what the correct name of that was. Strut works for me
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic