Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rack and Pinion Steering

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rack and Pinion Steering
    Posted: April-23-2007 at 8:01pm
I have a 2000SN with teleflex rack and pinion. The steering wheel turns about 20 degrees either way then engages and is relatively hard to turn. It may be the cable but I'm think it is more likely the pinion. Any suggestions on troubleshooting and repair. Thanks
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2007 at 11:14pm
Rick,

its all one piece. the rack and the cable. you probably need a cable. you could check the bolts holding the rack to the helm. I had the same problem lots of play and hard to steer. I ordered mine from whitelakemarine.com I think you can get 10% off either through here or planetnautique.com. Made a huge difference, steers real nice now.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2007 at 11:17pm
here you go:

Steering Cable

Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2007 at 10:51am
I'm still not sold it's the cable Anyone have directions on disasembling the steering at the dash? Thanks
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2007 at 12:06pm
Rick,

No instructions, but I did take apart the steering assembly on my next door neighbor's 94, and just kind of figured out how to put it back together. As Randy suggested, in my case, it turned out to be a cable. If you take the rack off the wheel, I suspect you'll find the wheel turns free and easy. If you disconnect the cable at the rudder, I think you'll find the rudder turns free and easy. By process of elimination, that pretty much leaves the cable. Just guessing here. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2007 at 2:03pm
Rick, I've just been through this on my CC. going by the description you give of the symptoms, I am 99.9% certain the problem is your steering cable.
Their really isn't too much to the wheel assembly. I went through and tightened everything down while I was in there, I had some loose screws in there, but the real problem was with the cable. Buy the cable, and make sure you get the correct cable. dont try to cheap out. You need a 19.5' cable. Not 19' Not 20',

Take the cable out. check to see that the wheel and the rudder turn easily with no slop. like BKH said, if it's not the wheel or the rudder, it's got to be the cable.

Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2007 at 11:32am
Thanks guys. I was just wimping out. To get to the rudder it means removing the back seat, gas tank etc. What a PITA.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2007 at 5:05pm
Rick,

I don't think you should have to remove the gas tank to replace the cable. I didn't... you really only need to get to the travel tube. Again, make sure you get the right cable. 19.5'.

Also, before you remove the old cable, tie a rope to the end before you pull it out. then when you get the new cable all you have to do is tie the new cable to the rope and pull it through. this ensures that the cable is routed properly also.
You will need a helper. should only take about an hour.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2007 at 11:58pm
Randy , you have become .............
this stuff will get in your blood,and soap and water won't get it off..
Rick don't play games with the steering system,steering parts are cheap compared to what can happen if they fail.
Just remember we have no brakes only steering, a complete helm and cable assy. is the safest way..........boat dr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2007 at 9:39am
Doc,

I'm just trying to help out a little in your absence.

Rick, listen to the doctor. your steering is very important.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2007 at 10:53am
Randy, almost went into DT's when the hard drive crashed, lost a lot of info.All The Boat Doctor data restored, but lost all my E-Mail adresses and phone #s.
Glad to be back, I see a lot of new names and questions.
Will send pics of KNOT CORRECT w/ HI-TEKS installed.Simple game plan turned into new floor w/ carpet.This mandated a bottom job,looked a little shabby,and this concluded with new paint from the rub rail down.
Talk about a money pit.........Strokers are expensive,but paint and cosmetics even more so.You save no money on a restore Job.But the finished product is in sight.........boat dr

Sharing our knowledge is what this site is all about,and you are doing well..........
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2007 at 12:47am
Thanks Doc.

I'm kind of a geek, I keep everything of importance on my file server which has redundant disks. If a drive goes bad, you still have another, then you just replace the bad drive and all the data copies over. I also keep backups of my most important stuff on DVD and lock it up in the fire proof safe. should really keep a copy somewhere else like my mom's house. The point is you should always have a backup once you have been burned bad you learn.

looking forward to seeing pics of the restore project.

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2007 at 3:55pm
dr; I gotta jump in here to agree. I remember when Randy came on saying he was gettin' this good deal on a sport from his friend. He has truly got on board with the most important factor of this site, which is sharing.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2007 at 4:02pm
John, gotta agree with the sharing,this is truly a great site with lottsa info for the senior and the junior involved in this "HOBBY".
And I thought I would save a lot of money when I dropped several of my "Bad" habits.I have substituted one addition for another,good thing this one is legal.................boat dr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2007 at 6:26pm
Thanks John, I really couldn't have got this thing into shape without everyones help here. I really learn a lot from everyone and enjoy seeing the other projects and learning from their mistakes and triumphs alike. It's also great to know I have somewhere to turn if i run into a problem with something. The great thing about this place is that we all have different areas knowledge and enjoy sharing what we know.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2007 at 6:29pm
Hey Doc, I know exactly where you are coming from. The illegal habits were probably a lot cheaper and you knew what to expect.

So, What happened with the steering Rick???
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic