NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Correct Craft Trailer Winch - Help

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Correct Craft Trailer Winch - Help
    Posted: April-24-2007 at 2:29pm
Has anyone installed an aftermarket trailer winch/mount on an '80's style trailer? I'm going to install one, but looks like it might be tricky on this style trailer. I looked through the photos in the diaries to see if somebody has the winch style, and no luck. The reason I want a winch is because the pitch of the ramp I launch at is about 35 degrees. The trailer is usually tilted to one side due to the un-even terrain underwater. I can never get my boat snugged up to the stoppers. I try jamming my breaks on the ramp, but it's getting pretty abusive to the truck. Any advise would be much appreciated.

Ken
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2007 at 2:31pm
Oh, by the way, the lower the water level, the more severe the pitch gets. The boat and trailer will easily get to a 45-50 degree angle when the water is low.

Ken
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2007 at 2:46pm
Ken, the new Ramlin trailers have the winch mounted on front bunk assembly. That wouldnt work for you since the older style is U-shaped.

One option would be to have a winch post welded in place. I dont imagine it would be very expensive to have done.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2007 at 2:51pm
Thanks, Tim. I was thinking of having one fabricated and welded on. I was hoping to see a picture of my style trailer with the winch. I'd like to see the angles and where it's mounted. A custom one looks simple though, a couple of metal plates and a metal post.

Ken
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2007 at 2:54pm
This picture is hard to make out, but helps:

6strings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2007 at 3:20pm
Ken,

I added a winch (sorry I don't have a picture but will try to get one)to my 76 trailer. I cut a plate (out of diamond plate)in a triangle shape to fit the trailer and bolted it in place. I purchased a winch stand on ebay, added a winch and bolted it to the trailer. Works well. Have had to winch the boat onto the trailer a couple of times when I had engine problems, comes in handy.
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2007 at 3:22pm
Our boat ramp with thank you Ken
Power loading leaves a giant hole at the end of the ramp.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2007 at 6:11pm
I too have had the same problem with steep angled ramps. Hitting the brakes to get the boat to slide forward used to be the norm for me!

You will want to mount the winch on the trailer slightly higher than the bow eye on the boat. This will pull the boat up as well as forward but it will also not get overly tight as the trailer comes out of the water and the stern of the boat sits down on the trailer. I have seen a winch strap break because it got so tight as the boat was being pulled out.

What is not shown in the picture is the addition of a single keel roller. It centers and lifts the bow of the boat as it is winched up.

This is a wishbone shape bunked trailer for my X55. I am told it was a old Mastercraft which was a copy of the Correct Craft trailer.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2007 at 8:03am
Ken,

I added one a few years ago to the 87 trailer that I have for my 88'. I copied a buddies set up and used some 1/4' steel plate, square tubing, and L angles for the base. I had a buddy of mine at work weld it up for me. Bought the winch at an marine supply store and installed it. Painted it and mounted it to the trailer. I'll take and post some pics when I get the chance.

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Quigs85SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quigs85SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2007 at 8:09am
Sorry about the picture quality. Here is the winch on my '85 trailer.
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2007 at 12:06pm
Ken- go for an electric winch, powered by your truck's 12 volt cigarette lighter :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic