NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Reid, Your new 390 in the Classic

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2007 at 6:27am
I never seen so many queens in one place, there all beauties
"the things you own will start to own you"
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2007 at 8:03am
I though I was supposed to get a glimpse heaven when in church....
67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2007 at 9:25am
Reid,

YOU DA MAN......Holy sh*t boy what a collection of kick ass boats you have....sh*t i could drink lots of beers in that toy box you call a garage!!! some day maybe i can have it all......Nice Nice Nice!!   The 390 looks BEAUTIFUL!! Hope you get to bring it to green lake!

Where do i get one of those Donzi's....Love those too!!!Can you find me one?Rain dog is bringing his boat to Green Lake so lets see yours out there too.....Maybe we could get stang to bring his also.....then we could tie up ion the classic area......

See ya there,

Paul,
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2007 at 9:26am
Reid,
Please, oh please bring the Classic.

I say this for the most selfish of reasons.

1. I gotta hear the FE390. Had one in my '67 Mustang fastback in high school.

2. If my wife can see what our boat _could_ be, It would make it really easy to get the green lite on a bunch of work this winter. Maybe even the trifecta: interior, paint and motor.

Then I hope to give you all some new competition in 2008.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2007 at 10:43am
RainDog,

Keep on him......sooner or later he will give in and tow that Damn thing to Green Lake.

Paul,

Bring on the 390 Reid!!!
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2007 at 1:57pm
Antoher occassion deserving of one of my custom T shirts
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2007 at 10:27pm
Oh Larry, I'm so touched. Well, before MaddMarxx beats me to it, heres an update on the 390's maiden voyage just yesterday AM while he was here. Ran just fine, put a few hours on her and then late in day when all the crazies finally started going home, Mark, Marshall Morgan and I piled in for one last run on some hopefully calmer water. Cruised around a bit then headed back in and when within a couple hundred yards of the dock I decided to let her have it one time. The rpm's climbed quick and maybe a little higher than anticipated and right about the time I was about to let off there was loud bang, followed by a backfire, and I was off the gas immediately. Well, she idled down nicely as ever, and as we all looked at each other in complete shock I slipped the shifter back into forward and NOTHING. Opened the engine box and the shaft was spinning but we're not moving. So we yelled to Blondiegurl on the dock and she jumped on the wave runner and we towed her to the dock and pulled her out on the spot. The prop and the last 3" of shaft were GONE. We were in 20-40' of water and don't think we hit anything, and you could see where the prop hit the rudder but not the bottom of the hull. Prior to the rebuild and even yesterday, there seemed to be a bit of unique vibration and mechanical noise at higher rpm, but not having a good case history with the boat in terms of running time, I wasn't sure. While the 13x14 OJ prop looked great it may have had balance issues, or the shaft just fatigued from the torque (?) I don't know. I do know I needed a new higher pitch prop anyway, so it's only a temperary set back. But overall, it pulls good, sounds great AND loud, needs a carb secondary spring change, but otherwise gets the OK sign. And we are really trying hard to come up with the means to drag her to Green Lake. Where there's a will.........
Thanks Mark and Marshall for your help. Marks got some more picts as well. There's a shot of Mark and Lisa in the 69 Mustang also, which ran great with the new Hi-Teks but we didn't have a bench mark to test against with all new gauges from last year.      

ReidP
1973 Mustang

MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2007 at 11:35pm
Thanks Reid, for a great weekend, this is a cool old boat!

todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2007 at 12:22am
WOW !! The legend continues.... Nice pic of MM and Blonde as well.
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2007 at 7:18am
Nice looking boats . Sorry to here of your shaft not cooperating with the rest of your boat . Fortunatly it didnt beat up the bottom of your boat .
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2007 at 9:25am
Reid,

That sure is a short shaft you are sporting??
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2007 at 11:03am
Too much HP for the old 1"? !! Reid, I'm sure you have already thought about it but since the Clasic had the adjustable strut when you got it, maybe the boat hit somthing at one time and the shaft had been straightened. It doesn't take much to put stress in a shaft where the fracture starts.

It's however looking fantastic! What about the trim tabs? Maybe you missed my earlier post about you keeping them or not. I figure with that much HP that thing should pop out of the water like a cork. I never thought they had a plaining problem without tabs.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2007 at 6:28pm
Quinner, yeah it's quite short, and not very big around either. I'm searching hard for some propagra or propalis.    

Pete, I think I'm with you on the stress issue, however no idea what all may have attributed to it. On the trim tab subject, I'd love nothing more than to loose them. However I'll then have to patch over 50 holes. I believe they were installed moreso to battle porpoising than aid in planing, as these boats were known to bounce. Prior to adjusting them up to the max, they would indeed push the nose down quickly and the boat planed more on the line of a new hull, but the speed and ride attitude were way down. We're planning to remove the shaft this evening and depending on length, we may have a new one collecting dust. I've got a new 12x16 OJ prop to try which might be the little more bite needed over the 13x14, which did rev a little high for my piece of mind.      
ReidP
1973 Mustang

stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2007 at 7:15pm
Third largest navel fleet in the world! Cool beans man!

I can hardly wait to show my wife what is really possible!

You are the King ....and my hero too
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2007 at 6:04am
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

I believe they were installed moreso to battle porpoising than aid in planing, as these boats were known to bounce.
I've got a new 12x16 OJ prop to try which might be the little more bite needed over the 13x14, which did rev a little high for my piece of mind.      

Reid, I know there are several theories on the cause of porpoising but the one I concure with is that a hull with so much power will rise above the water and then lacking more power to keep it there will fall back down. "Band Aid" cures are shifting weight forward or the idea of the previous owner of your Classic, to install the tabs. With the extra power from the 390, you may push the hull past the porpoising stage. The only problem with this that I'm sure you are familiar with you other boats is that with very little of the hull left in the water, the handling can get real squirrely!

I hope you have some good luck with the 12X16 prop but I think you should be looking a larger dia. rather than larger pitch. As the pitch of a prop increases, the efficiency of the prop decreases. I know that prop manufacturers don't like anything over a 14" pitch due to the poor performance. The prop guys will have more details but I seem to remember a inch of dia. equals 2 to 3 inches of pitch.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2007 at 11:21am
Reid,

Get that thing back together and bring the damn thing to green lake.......Your killing me with those pics.

Very nice!!
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2007 at 11:30am
Damn shame to put the engine cover on.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2007 at 1:10pm
Wow, I can't believe the looks of that boat. It's very cool Reid. The playpen is even more impressive!!!!
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2007 at 5:44pm
Reid: That Red boat is sweet! I don't think I would ever close the motor box.

You might want to remember your ball-cap when you are out in the baot tho.

Now that all the guys are so impressed with your "stable" we are gonna have to return to calling you "the famous ReidP".

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2007 at 10:47pm
Reid,
I'm going to twist your arm a bit further.

If your boat makes it to GL, and I get a ride, I'll make the same shirt for Mrs. P. that my wife has:

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2007 at 7:06pm
Thanks 'Dog. If I have to drag that boat on my back..........to get my wife that shirt.
Actually I think I've found someone who loves road trips as much as I do and also wanted to visit WI, and who has a new bright red F-250 which really looks the part. We're about 80% sure, plus he's already got a room booked at the BayView.     
ReidP
1973 Mustang

MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2007 at 3:32pm

JR_VIC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR_VIC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 10:37pm
I am not as familiar with the older Correct Crafts but that is one great looking boat and an even better looking engine. Fabulous Job!!!

Thanks!
"That's not a Snow Cone that's my Ring!"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2007 at 7:14am
Reid, Have you tried the other prop yet?

By the way, I think one of your dogs lost a Frizbie.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2007 at 3:36pm
Pete, I'm still waiting on my new shaft which should be here tomorrow or Monday. I guess I will still try the 12x16 for sh&ts and grins as I mentioned prior, but after studying a few other things, I'm with you 100% on another 13" diameter wheel. This incident got me researching into the reason for the wierd adjustable strut, and I found this strut is about an inch deeper that what came on it to accommodate the orig 12" prop. Then easily noticing further that this engine and its larger 72 series transmission sit practically on the bottom of the boat with not an 1/8" clearance. I then realized that they had to go with this deeper-steeper angle strut so they could just get the engine to fit by increasing the angle and lifting the rear of the engine. Otherwise you'd have to move it way foward for bottom clearance which you can't do anyway because of the deck crossbeam. Then I remembered an engine swap that I tried to do several years ago with this '68 Nautique below which I've posted picts of before, where I wanted to install the 413 Chrysler in place of the orig blown 318. Wasn't gonna work as when I lowered the engine into place, the bellhousing hit the bottom while the trans coupling was still 1/2" above the shaft coupling. I could have made that one work yes, if I'd had an deeper strut with a steeper angle or adj strut, but either way allowing me to raise the shaft coupling by increasing the angle. Still learning FWIW.   

ReidP
1973 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic