Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1976 Ski Tique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
swifty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swifty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1976 Ski Tique
    Posted: April-27-2007 at 6:26pm
Does anybody know what oil should be ran in a 76 302? And i noticed that when out cruising on the lake there is always a slight humming noise with the hull. Is this normal?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2007 at 6:43pm
I run 10w40 in mine.

There are always harmonics in any boat but you may want to check your drive line to make sure it's aligned, the shaft is straight, the strut bearing is good and the prop is ok

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2007 at 10:17pm
When does the humming occur? At what RPM? Is it more like a churning sound or a buzzing sound? Do you have excessive engine vibration?
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
acpskitique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acpskitique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2007 at 8:44am
Swifty,
I've got a '76 tique as well, and I have the same vibration issues. I'm in the process of checking my shaft alignment and prop. Do a search on "transmission alignment" and there's a good thread started by Eric Lavine with pics on how to do it.
I would go with 10W40. These motors were recommended to run on 40W by PCM, however that was when multi-grade oils were not very good quality. Now it helps to have the oil a little thinner on start up, and that's what the 10w quality does. I put regular valvoline in mine. Don't go full synthetic unless you've recently rebuilt the motor.
'76 Ski Tique 302PCM
swifty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swifty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2007 at 12:03pm
The humming is any time past 10-15 mph. It is just a humm. If you put your hand on the side you can feel it but nothing to severe. Just wondering if i should worry about this.
swifty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swifty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2007 at 12:04pm
Its a buzzing sound.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2007 at 12:07pm
Never hurts to check the alignment. I even think Eric has said it's not a bad idea to check it every year after it's been in the water for a couple days.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
rudderdad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rudderdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2007 at 11:19pm
Have had this before from a poorly glassed wood piece under the gunwale, behind the shifter. The looser it gets, the louder it gets.
rudderdad
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic